Pacquiao Fires Freddie Roach

Wanderlei4Life

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Pacquiao will go into the fight without his longtime trainer, International Boxing Hall of Famer Freddie Roach, overseeing his camp or corner. Koncz said Pacquiao has replaced Roach with Buboy Fernandez, Pacquiao's lifelong friend and the career-long assistant trainer who has been with him for every fight.

"That's Manny's decision. Manny has told me Buboy will be handling the training on this fight," Koncz said. "What's important to Manny is that he has one voice to listen to in the corner that he trusts, and I guess that's Buboy for this fight."

Pacquiao had been with Roach since he came to the United States to fight for the first time in 2001. Together they reached glorious heights and forged a seemingly unbreakable bond. Roach has trained Pacquiao for his past 34 fights.

Asked about the reason Pacquiao decided to make a change -- without notifying Roach -- Koncz said, "There was some concerns Manny had in the last fight and some statements Freddie made to the media that Manny wasn't very pleased about."

Although Pacquiao's longtime promoter, Top Rank, is not promoting the event -- that will be handled by Pacquiao's MP Promotions -- Bob Arum's company will handle the television distribution of the fight, including on an ESPN platform to be determined in the United States, be it ESPN, the new ESPN+ streaming service or pay-per-view. Because of the 12-hour time difference between Malaysia and the United States East Coast, the fight will take place on Sunday morning, July 15, Kuala Lumpur time for a prime-time broadcast in the U.S., Koncz said

Read the rest here: http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...matthysse-fight-july-14-kuala-lumpur-malaysia

PAC said Freddie been talking too much shit to the media like Manny ain’t the same because he’s got to many obligations and people around him and he complained that he was late getting paid last fight.

Also manny is going to save a lot of money. Freddie charges 10% of your purse you get from the fight. So it could be anywhere from 500k and up.

He can hire his friend for 100k and under. But buboy just an amateur regular guy. Not a trainer. I think it’s the wrong move. I don't like it one bit.

Manny doesnt need Freddie to beat Matthysse.

and Freddie wont save him from passing the torch to Lomachenko in his next and final fight.

Freddie wanted him to retire if he lost to Horn, he lost and should have retired. Freddie knows what happens if you fight on too long and Freddie also knows what happens when you remove a trainer who cares about you. Manny Parkinsoniao

PAC said Freddie been talking too much shit to the media like Manny ain’t the same because he’s got to many obligations and people around him and he complained that he was late getting paid last fight.

Also manny is going to save a lot of money. Freddie charges 10% of your purse you get from the fight. So it could be anywhere from 500k and up.

He can hire his friend for 100k and under. But buboy just an amateur regular guy. Not a trainer. I think it’s the wrong move. I don't like it one bit.

Freddie isn't wrong in those statements. I also have seen some Philippine news outlets report Manny took exception to Freddie's recomendation/comments about Manny being on the undercard of the Horn/Crawford fight.

Buboy though a close friend is another Yes man and won't be able to keep him on track if he loses focus.

Pac needs Roach. Fernandez is a friend, not a trainer. Say what you will about Roach, he is a man with knowledge and a method. Pac went from Morales I to Morales III very quickly and it wasn't cuz he spammed left hands the whole way.

Manny doesnt need Freddie to beat Matthysse.

and Freddie wont save him from passing the torch to Lomachenko in his next and final fight.

God, it feels like yesterday when Pacquiao ripped the torch from Oscar.

Buboy as head trainer for anyone is a funny proposition. Still, for a guy as experienced as Pacquiao, one would think that not having Roach might not have a tremendous impact. It might not be the best sign when he's already on a fairly steep decline and about to face a genuine puncher, though. Getting someone who has an idea of what they're doing (aka not Buboy) would probably be a good idea.

Like I said in the other thread, Manny is training himself for this fight.

Buboy isn't his trainer. Buboy ate his trainer.

Am hoping Freddie was brutally honest after the Horn fight, which Manny probably disagreed with and it ended there.

Boxing giveth and taketh, So manny HOFs have fallen to it. ;)

Pretty surprised and I don't think it's a good move to get rid of guys who push you and give constructive criticism. Manny's being a bit of a baby here.

Its a mistake on Manny's part and I hope he doesn't pay the price for it.

Its a mistake on Manny's part and I hope he doesn't pay the price for it.

I don't see how it matters. Roach couldn't even get him in shape for the Horn fight. If a fighter stops listening the trainer is utterly useless. Plus Roach said some pretty harsh but true things after the Horn loss TO THE PRESS instead of to Manny himself which was just a horrible idea. You don't tell the press that your fighter needs to hang them up, you tell your fucking fighter. That is like throwing chum in the water to all the other sharks at 147 pounds. You are supposed to leave people guessing like Pac did with his kangaroo flu excuse. Now Pacman is going to face the hardest puncher he has in many years and the whole Roach saying he should of retired and not being in his corner is just giving Matty more confidence.

Keys to a final disaster are falling into place.

Pretty surprised and I don't think it's a good move to get rid of guys who push you and give constructive criticism. Manny's being a bit of a baby here.
he's always been a baby. he was pretty amazing in the ring, but sadly always acted like a manchild outside it.

Shitty.

Downward spiral.

terrible.

i do hope they patch it up eventually but i agree with all of you. Manny is making a mistake.

Pacquiao is sliding down hill after a long career. I'm not sure we'll see a significant impact without Roach at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back