Pacquiao Fires Freddie Roach

Pac man is mental.

Pac man is just trying to save money.

Pac man won't listen to good advice.

How/why does he want to continue? Surely he's pretty comfortable money wise now?

This was expected.

Pacquiao has been doing his own shit for a long time now, training in the Philippines for a few weeks before going to LA and I remember reading about this a few years ago. (just watch the fights now only)

He's at the stage where he is quite comfortable and doesn't think he needs the advice, it is quite sad as they've been together for so long.

Matthysse isn't an easy fight but even as a Matthysse fan I still want Roach there coaching Manny.

Freddie has a big mouth, and Manny has a big ego. It's a shame they couldn't figure out a more amicable way to handle the situation though.

I've actually felt that Manny needed a change for a while now. For the last few years, he seems to just kinda coast through camp without being challenged. He trains hard, and gets in shape, but they don't seem to really push him like when he was younger.

1/2 Statement from @FreddieRoach : "Manny and I had a great run for 15 years -- longer than most marriages and certainly a rarity for boxing. I wouldn't trade any of it. Inside the boxing ring and the political ring, I wish Manny nothing but the best.

2/2 statement from @FreddieRoach : I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't hurt that he didn't contact me personally about his decision, but the great times we enjoyed together far outweigh that

I'm getting an uneasy feeling that Pac ends up face down against Matty, Marquez-style. I still think he can outbox him for the win easily, but it just feels like the wheels are coming off at this point.

Roach really loves Pac, I think. And probably vice-versa. Hope they remain friends.

I'm getting an uneasy feeling that Pac ends up face down against Matty, Marquez-style. I still think he can outbox him for the win easily, but it just feels like the wheels are coming off at this point.

Roach really loves Pac, I think. And probably vice-versa. Hope they remain friends.
Agreed I think there's a mutual love between them, esp on Freddie's end. He spoke about Pac like he was a son, probably still thinks of him as something like that.

There were earlier reports of Buboy being rumored to take the "training" over so I wasn't expecting Roach to be in the corner but as a Matty fan I'm glad it's true that one of the greatest trainers of all time won't be there now.

I agree with the notion that Pac isn't learning much at this point of his career, he knows just about everything he needs to know, but whether you're rooting for or against Manny here you know it can only be a negative for him that Roach isn't there and Buboy, of all ppl, is.

I mean, Bhop still kept Naazim and JDJ around even tho he had long been one of the smartest fighters of all time. He still kept guys who knew their shit around to keep him sharp. And by all accounts Bhop is one of the cheapest fucks around, he still shelled out money for those guys. That should say something about the importance of having another voice or two in the corner that knows their shit.

Pac doesn't have that anymore and as a Matthysse fan I'm glad about it but it still isn't a good thing for Pac other than for his wallet. Which is why he might be ditching Freddie at the end of the day, any criticism from Roach or none.

I was just thinking, it would be hilarious if Pac hired Buboy to get let's say 50k from his purse to "train" him for this fight, just b/c Buboy owed him like 30k and was too broke to pay him, lol. That's not true but it would be kinda funny to me.

I think Freddie urged him to retire like all good coaches would.

Manny should've at least hired someone better than Buboy. There should be a couple to choose from in the Philippines alone.

Trainer Roach ‘hurt’ by Pacquiao snub after split
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/spor...oach-hurt-by-pacquiao-snub-after-split/story/

LOS ANGELES, United States - Filipino boxing star Manny Pacquiao has split with long-time trainer Freddie Roach, the veteran ring guru confirmed on Friday.

In a brief statement, Roach said his 15-year association with former world champion Pacquiao had been terminated ahead of the 39-year-old fighter's upcoming world title fight with Lucas Matthyse.

Roach said he wished Pacquiao well for the future but admitted he had been "hurt" after learning of the Filipino's decision to ax him indirectly.

"Manny and I had a great run for 15 years -- longer than most marriages and certainly a rarity for boxing," Roach said. "I wouldn't trade any of it. Inside the boxing ring and the political ring, I wish Manny nothing but the best.

"I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't hurt that he didn't contact me personally about his decision, but the great times we enjoyed together far outweigh that."

Roach was an ever-present in Pacquiao's corner during his rise to the pinnacle of his sport, helping mold the fighter into one of the best boxers in history.

Pacquiao is to fight Matthyse for the Argentine's WBA welterweight belt in Kuala Lumpur on July 15.

Pacquiao has not fought in the ring since being defeated on points by Australia's Jeff Horn in Brisbane in July, a loss that cost the Filipino star his WBO crown.

Matthysse, who has 39 wins including 36 by knockout against four defeats, won the vacant WBA belt after beating Thailand's Teerachai Sithmorseng in January.

Double Wide Dan wrote this a few hours ago so I'm giving him his credit. Pac is now saying that he hasn't made his final decision on who will be his head trainer for the Matthysse fight in July. I was under the impression that Buboy would be his "head trainer" but it sounds like that isn't certain. For his sake, he better hope he isn't.

Manny Pacquiao mum on future but distances self from comments on Freddie Roach

On Friday, Manny Pacquiao announced in a news release related to his upcoming fight with secondary welterweight world titlist Lucas Matthysse that he would go into training camp for the first time since 2001 without legendary trainer Freddie Roach as part of his team.

Since then, Pacquiao has been heavily criticized for apparently ending a fruitful 16-year, 34-fight bond with Roach in a media announcement rather than he or anyone else on his team informing Roach of the decision.

On Sunday, Pacquiao backpedaled, although he did not commit to having Roach return for fight No. 35.

"Contrary to statements which I personally did not make that are circulating in the media, I have not made my final decision who will be my head trainer for my July 14 fight with Matthysse," Pacquiao said in the statement. "My advisor Mike Koncz has been in contact with Freddie's people to keep them informed. I will make a final decision within the week. When that decision is made, Freddie will be the first one to be informed and then I will advise the media."

In his first fight in a year since losing his welterweight belt by a controversial decision to Jeff Horn in July, the Philippines' Pacquiao (59-7-2, 38 KOs), 39, is scheduled to challenge Matthysse (39-4, 36 KOs), 35, of Argentina, for his belt on July 15 (July 14 in the United States) at the Axiata Arena in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on an ESPN platform to be determined.

The Friday news release served an update on the fight promotion and included information about an upcoming two-city media tour to Manila and Kuala Lumpur as well as comments from Matthysse about the fight.

The final line of the release, issued by Pacquiao's MP Promotions, read: "Pacquiao will be joined by his new promotions team along with trainers Restituto 'Buboy' Fernandez and Raides 'Nonoy' Neri."

Fernandez and Neri are longtime friends of Pacquiao's. Fernandez is like a brother to Pacquiao and has been in his corner for every fight of his career as an assistant and Neri has been a part of his camp for years, mainly as a cook.

But the release made no mention of Roach, who had trained Pacquiao since his first fight in the United States in 2001. With Roach, Pacquiao won seven of his record eight world titles in as many divisions, claimed three fighter of the year awards from the Boxing Writers Association of America and also won the organization's fighter of the decade award for the 2000s. Roach, with Pacquiao as his main client, won a record seven BWAA trainer of the year awards between 2003 and 2014 and was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2012.

Pacquiao's Friday release served to back up comments that Koncz made to ESPN two weeks ago when he said that Pacquiao told him, "Buboy will be handling the training on this fight. What's important to Manny is that he has one voice to listen to in the corner that he trusts and I guess that's Buboy for this fight.

"There was some concerns Manny had in the last fight and some statements Freddie made to the media that Manny wasn't very pleased about."

When Roach was informed about Friday's announcement, he issued his own statement and took the high road.

"Manny and I had a great run for [16] years -- longer than most marriages and certainly a rarity for boxing," Roach said. "I wouldn't trade any of it. Inside the boxing ring and the political ring, I wish Manny nothing but the best. I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't hurt that he didn't contact me personally about his decision, but the great times we enjoyed together far outweigh that."

Now it appears that maybe their time together is not quite up. But Roach, through a spokesperson, declined to comment Sunday on the latest comments from Pacquiao.
Manny Pacquiao mum on future but distances self from comments on Freddie Roach

He can hire his friend for 100k and under. But buboy just an amateur regular guy. Not a trainer. I think it’s the wrong move. I don't like it one bit.

Buboy is not even an amateur. He is just a fat fuck leprechaun who lives of Manny.

Imo the split is the best. Roach is brutally honest but this is a business were you imo have to be as
the consequences are severe.

Pac is not beating Matty.

The long layoff for Matty and his total desire for revenge against Danny is the perfect storm to face this old washed up version of Pacman who is just looking for the payday he would get after the Matty fight against Crawford or Loma. Prime Pacman eats Matty for fucking lunch. This version of Pacman is in serious trouble.

Pacquiao is now saying that he did not fire Roach, and that he has not even made a decision regarding his trainer for the upcoming fight. He said he'd make an announcement about it this week, and that Roach will be the first to know.

"Contrary to statements which I personally did not make that are circulating in the media, I have not made my final decision who will be my head trainer for my July 14 fight with Matthysse," Pacquiao said in the statement. "My advisor Mike Koncz has been in contact with Freddie's people to keep them informed. I will make a final decision within the week. When that decision is made, Freddie will be the first one to be informed and then I will advise the media."

Obviously some backtracking there. I'm not sure why Koncz has to be in contact with Freddie's people, when a text message or phone call would be adequate. But at least he's backtracking in a better direction.

Obviously some backtracking there. I'm not sure why Koncz has to be in contact with Freddie's people, when a text message or phone call would be adequate.
this alone should tell you what a bozo he is. the man's been training you for 15 years, and you need your people to call his people? you can't do it yourself, directly? roach should tell them to go fuck themselves and have that fatass train him.

what does it matter, it's retiring time for pac either way.

To be honest, a legendary boxer like Manny Pacquaio doesn't even need a trainer.
There isn't nothing he can learn at this point, nothing to correct, just work hard doing his usual routines.

Just having good people around him, with good relationships and having fun, like Mayweather in his camp before McGregor, without his uncle Roger.
Roach and Roger Mayweather are just padmen at this point.

To be honest, a legendary boxer like Manny Pacquaio doesn't even need a trainer.
There isn't nothing he can learn at this point, nothing to correct, just work hard doing his usual routines.

Just having good people around him, with good relationships and having fun, like Mayweather in his camp before McGregor, without his uncle Roger.

Pac is borderline unteachable. He is an athlete first boxer second. Those types age poorly. He is only going to get worse.

PAC said Freddie been talking too much shit to the media like Manny ain’t the same because he’s got to many obligations and people around him and he complained that he was late getting paid last fight.

Also manny is going to save a lot of money. Freddie charges 10% of your purse you get from the fight. So it could be anywhere from 500k and up.

He can hire his friend for 100k and under. But buboy just an amateur regular guy. Not a trainer. I think it’s the wrong move. I don't like it one bit.

I agree. It kind of sounded like you were rationalizing it, but Freddie's eye is what you pay for, not for him to stand there and hold mitts necessarily. And he's pretty damn good at fashioning the right game plan for the fighter he has in front of him and the opponent.

Pac is borderline unteachable. He is an athlete first boxer second. Those types age poorly. He is only going to get worse.

Tbf, someone who's unteachable wouldn't have progressed like Pac did mid-career. But he's certainly stubborn.

Roger hasn't been training people for at least a couple of years. And Pac has plenty to gain from someone like Roach in his corner. Freddie has a good eye for the sport and will see things from the outside-in that Manny won't. The only reason I might agree with you that it doesn't matter is that Pac looked shot in his last fight, and I don't think he can do the things that Roach would ask him to do anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back