Pacquiao Fires Freddie Roach

Pac is borderline unteachable. He is an athlete first boxer second. Those types age poorly. He is only going to get worse.

Pacquiao has aged pretty amazingly. The guy is 39 years old and still fighting at a championship level. He could be called truly elite well into his mid-30s. How many guys at that weight can say that?

Also, calling him "unteachable" pretty much ignores how much progress Roach made with him in Pac's formative years as a boxer. Prime Pacquiao was not just an athlete, he was a truly great fighter.

this era of guys fighting until they are 39 isn't the same as other eras so that's no accomplishement whatsoever. Boxers rarely retire properly, just look at Roach for evidence of that, Pac will be fighting for another five years like the roy jones' etc.., just the way fighters are. they talk of retirement like it's no big deal until it's time to retire, then they insist they want one more title and they can still do it. old as the sport i'm sure.

Pacquiao has aged pretty amazingly. The guy is 39 years old and still fighting at a championship level. He could be called truly elite well into his mid-30s. How many guys at that weight can say that?

Also, calling him "unteachable" pretty much ignores how much progress Roach made with him in Pac's formative years as a boxer. Prime Pacquiao was not just an athlete, he was a truly great fighter.

He isn't fighting championship level. He hasn't been elite for awhile. Roach just taught Pac some combos so he wasn't just throwing 1 2s. Pac still gets lost with craftier fighters like he did earlier in his career.

He isn't fighting championship level. He hasn't been elite for awhile. Roach just taught Pac some combos so he wasn't just throwing 1 2s. Pac still gets lost with craftier fighters like he did earlier in his career.

Yes he is. He's still a top 10 welterweight at 39. That's incredible.

If the only difference that you see between Manny Pacquiao before Roach and after Roach is a few combinations then I don't know what to tell you.

this era of guys fighting until they are 39 isn't the same as other eras so that's no accomplishement whatsoever. Boxers rarely retire properly, just look at Roach for evidence of that, Pac will be fighting for another five years like the roy jones' etc.., just the way fighters are. they talk of retirement like it's no big deal until it's time to retire, then they insist they want one more title and they can still do it. old as the sport i'm sure.

I don't think there is anyway to justify saying that fighting at a high-level until the age of 39 is "no accomplishment whatsoever." Longevity is an accomplishment.

Very few guys are able to do that, and Pac is one of them. People really sell Pac short. He's a special fighter and should be appreciated for all the great fights he gave us.

Pacquiao has very few fights left; I can understand him looking for a different training regimen for his next fight. Sometimes change is a good thing. I do hope he repairs his relationship with Roach but Roach should also be careful with his words. There is an old saying where I come from, "don't bite the hand that feeds you."

I don't think there is anyway to justify saying that fighting at a high-level until the age of 39 is "no accomplishment whatsoever." Longevity is an accomplishment.

Very few guys are able to do that, and Pac is one of them. People really sell Pac short. He's a special fighter and should be appreciated for all the great fights he gave us.
When I watched boxing guys were done by their early thirties for the most part. People just don't know what that's about today though, just naive

When I watched boxing guys were done by their early thirties for the most part. People just don't know what that's about today though, just naive

When did you watch boxing? Hearns and Duran fought into their late 40s. SRL tried to fight until the point he was getting beat up by Norris and later Macho. Foreman fought into his 40s. Ali fought until he was almost 40. Basically, most guys who would still fight, still fought.

The not so subtle steroid accusation is noted, but let's not be naive and pretend they did not have steroids in the 1980s.

Pacquiao will go into the fight without his longtime trainer, International Boxing Hall of Famer Freddie Roach, overseeing his camp or corner. Koncz said Pacquiao has replaced Roach with Buboy Fernandez, Pacquiao's lifelong friend and the career-long assistant trainer who has been with him for every fight.

"That's Manny's decision. Manny has told me Buboy will be handling the training on this fight," Koncz said. "What's important to Manny is that he has one voice to listen to in the corner that he trusts, and I guess that's Buboy for this fight."

Pacquiao had been with Roach since he came to the United States to fight for the first time in 2001. Together they reached glorious heights and forged a seemingly unbreakable bond. Roach has trained Pacquiao for his past 34 fights.

Asked about the reason Pacquiao decided to make a change -- without notifying Roach -- Koncz said, "There was some concerns Manny had in the last fight and some statements Freddie made to the media that Manny wasn't very pleased about."

Although Pacquiao's longtime promoter, Top Rank, is not promoting the event -- that will be handled by Pacquiao's MP Promotions -- Bob Arum's company will handle the television distribution of the fight, including on an ESPN platform to be determined in the United States, be it ESPN, the new ESPN+ streaming service or pay-per-view. Because of the 12-hour time difference between Malaysia and the United States East Coast, the fight will take place on Sunday morning, July 15, Kuala Lumpur time for a prime-time broadcast in the U.S., Koncz said

Read the rest here: http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...matthysse-fight-july-14-kuala-lumpur-malaysia
Does Manny just want yes men around him?

When did you watch boxing? Hearns and Duran fought into their late 40s. SRL tried to fight until the point he was getting beat up by Norris and later Macho. Foreman fought into his 40s. Ali fought until he was almost 40. Basically, most guys who would still fight, still fought.

The not so subtle steroid accusation is noted, but let's not be naive and pretend they did not have steroids in the 1980s.
you're wrong dude, i wasn't referring to the roids, i was referring to how trash fights and fighters are foisted upon the public and they are too gullible to know the difference. and yes, I know fighters never quit on time, ray leonard was getting bounced off the canvas at 32, hearns was lauded for winning over virgil hill at 32 or so, camacho was beaten severely at only thirty, i'm not going to say much more to you because you're mind is already made.

Does Manny just want yes men around him?
i wouldn't see why not, most stars do, it's been said that when people tried to get elvis to clean up they'd get canned right there, same with prince (but i don't know if that's true). Nothing new with boxers, ali had fools around him, ray robinson had fools around him, most great fighters do. a couple of them were loners like marvelous or rocky but i've said it a million times to deaf ears, fighters are usually pretty insecure at heart, it's a big part of their drive.

Pacquiao has very few fights left; I can understand him looking for a different training regimen for his next fight. Sometimes change is a good thing. I do hope he repairs his relationship with Roach but Roach should also be careful with his words. There is an old saying where I come from, "don't bite the hand that feeds you."
roach isn't that strong a person i don't think, he has spoken many times about how he would tell pac when it was time to retire and if that was the case, he should have done that by now. also, pac is a crybaby, he seems like the type of guy to blame his coach for losing. also, roach should retire right along with Manny, he's in bad shape, so it's a non-issue as far as his usefulness goes anyway, dude can hardly talk.

you're wrong dude, i wasn't referring to the roids, i was referring to how trash fights and fighters are foisted upon the public and they are too gullible to know the difference. and yes, I know fighters never quit on time, ray leonard was getting bounced off the canvas at 32, hearns was lauded for winning over virgil hill at 32 or so, camacho was beaten severely at only thirty, i'm not going to say much more to you because you're mind is already made.

So your point was not that fighters are now on steroids, it is that fighters are now trash?

I think there is a bit of nostalgia at work. The last 20 years has seen some amazing fighters.

you're minds made up dude, teddy atlas, as much as i disagree with his whole schtick basically said the same thing in a recent interview. no nostalgia, just experience, same with music, i just call it like i see it, outside of bruno mars, we don't have the top musicians who know what they are doing, beyonce is a superstar but a mediocrity, different era, different standards and people are stupid. they'll take any slop they are fed.

I see your point but i see his too. I always viewed pac the same way i viewed roy jones. I think that they are exceptional athletes that did alot wrong but their natural talent let them get away with things no one else could.

I think thats what he meant or i could be wrong lol

you're both wrong, everybody's wrong but me. "everybody is a conman!" anyone know where that line came from?

PAC said Freddie been talking too much shit to the media like Manny ain’t the same because he’s got to many obligations and people around him and he complained that he was late getting paid last fight.

Also manny is going to save a lot of money. Freddie charges 10% of your purse you get from the fight. So it could be anywhere from 500k and up.

He can hire his friend for 100k and under. But buboy just an amateur regular guy. Not a trainer. I think it’s the wrong move. I don't like it one bit.

It doesnt matter thought cause I think Lucas is the hungrier of the two, he is a bit younger and has the better jaw and punch power so it is what it is, the edge goes to Lucas here, Roach wont do nothing but collect a check anyway he doesn't know how to teach defense or cutting the ring off.

Pacman is making moves wayyyy too late, should have gotten rid of Roach years ago, Roach is not a good trainer look at all his fighters they were taking so much punishment, Linares was a punching bag under Roach, look at Scott Quigg recently he was just fighting on pure heart and grit.

Pac finally leaves Roach and Arum but its at a time when he is washed up, should have done this years ago.

Yup, Pac is still elite. He basically shut out Jessie Vargas and dropped him twice.

Vargas and Broner just went toe to toe and drawed

Yea crafty fighters like JMM who is the best mexican fighter in the last 25 years and PBF.

STFU

Back