Pacquiao heavy bag flurry technique?

XxaemaeThxX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys , I was watching some older clips of Manny Pacquiao on the heavy bag, he usually does this flurry of punches(10 punch combo) that seems like 1-2-1-2-1(duh-doo-duh-doo-duh)-1-2-1(duh-doo-duh)-1-2(duh-dah)
1 being a jab
2 being a straight punch

The EXACT flurry starts at 00:25

I noticed he wasn't pivoting off his rear foot (like you would for a normal straight punch). is this because speed is his main focus in this flurry? I also noticed he steps forward on the 1-2-1 cluster (comes right after the 1-2-1-2-1 cluster) of punches on that first jab.

Then he looks like he even steps backs on the last jab and straight punch.

I was just interested in this because I'm also south paw and was trying to replicate it on the bag for a speed drill, but I always thought you wanted to pivot on the rear (left foot in this case b/c southpaw) and even at times, pivot on the lead jab foot for more power on the jab.

But I reckon all the pivoting and power would slow down the speed.

It still looks like Pacquaio is shifting his weight on each foot however,like those tabata punch flurries on the heavy bag, maybe someone with more experience could give me some insight.

He's not throwing with full power, but he already is great at hitting super hard and fast. He's probably trying to train to keep up the volume and speed reasonably high for endurance reasons (boxing fights are long) because his style/strategy relies on that

I slowed it down on my phone and saw

1212 112 112

Back