(Pantera) Vinnie Paul Dead at 54

Is this when they were a glam band?

Phil Glamselmo.

<36><36><36>

Yea it was a weird time. I knew this girl named Nicole that knew them and was a borderline groupie. She and I were out doing some unmentionable black market purchases and she says I know these guys that have a band and they like to party, do you want to meet them? She doesn't say who they are or give any other details so I'm like sure, lets go. So we go to this house and they are there and actually practicing. There is about 10-15 people in the house and that's it. We get drunk, do what people do and hang out for about 5 hours. At the time I didn't think much of it. I didn't even know who they were. I said in 85 but it could have been 1984, 85, or 86. It was mid-80's, things that far back get foggy. Then later they blew up.

I remember when i was a kid my friend said something like "pantera have the best techincal guitarist and drummer in the world but people write them off because it is heavy metal".

Any truth in that?
Very good, yes.

About zero truth.

Some metal musicians are among the most talented on the planet, but Pantera wasnt that.

RIP Vinnie.
Dimebag is literally one of the best Metal guitarists of all time, there is no debating that.

Is he Yngwie Malmsteen? No, but he's a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: so he wouldn't want to be him.

Who would've ever thought Phil Anselmo would be outliving his bandmates

RIP
Tbf, he was always in much better shape physically, but that doesn't matter much when a crazed war vet shoots you on stage randomly.

Dimebag is literally one of the best Metal guitarists of all time, there is no debating that.

Is he Yngwie Malmsteen? No, but he's a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: so he wouldn't want to be him.

Yngwie is garbage but Dimebag's contribution lasted for cool riffs on a single album. Fight me about it.

I remember when i was a kid my friend said something like "pantera have the best techincal guitarist and drummer in the world but people write them off because it is heavy metal".

Any truth in that?

yes and no
He's got that power blues vibe, he's great at drums, but he's no Gene Hoglan.

Is this when they were a glam band?

Phil Glamselmo.

<36><36><36>
Phil wasn't with them when they were going through the "Glam years" that was Terry Glaze on the first 3 albums.
Phil joined in at "Power Metal" during their transition from Glam to "Thrash/Hair metal"

Saw Pantera live in the early 90's. Used to love these guys. RIP Vinnie.

Phil wasn't with them when they were going through the "Glam years" that was Terry Glaze on the first 3 albums.
Phil joined in at "Power Metal" during their transition from Glam to "Thrash/Hair metal"
102836164e8c106f457a1241ce9850bb.jpg

My wife is from Tampa and was in the same group of friends as David and Trey from Morbid Angel. I guess around 2005ish Vinnie was in town and David brought him out to a club they all partied at, and all night Vinne had people coming up to him, telling them how much his music meant to them and such. Apparently he made time for all of them, thanked them, talked to them, and was just really sweet to everybody; no rock star too-cool attitude at all. Nice to hear.

So many stories of him and Dimebag partying hard. Two awesome legends.

Malmsteen is one of the best guitarist, technically speaking, out there but who knows any of his songs except hardcore guitar players?

Last edited:
mad.. at God.. mad.

zjfnmh.gif

Back