So currently my training schedule is like this;
Monday: Boxing
Tuesday: Nothing
Wednesday: BJJ
Thursday: Karate
Friday: Boxing then BJJ
Saturday: Boxing then Karate
Sunday: Nothing

Despite only 2 rest days a week I still dont feel like I'm training enough. The 2 rest days arent by choice either, its because nowhere near me trains on sundays, or on tuesdays(they nearly all run monday, wednesday, friday classes).
There are a few places I could go but they are pretty far away, should i really push to get to these places to train everyday or is what im doing substantial.
I would particularly like to get to a kickboxing/muay thai gym as I dont feel i get enough training with kicks. My boxing gym also does kickboxing every now and again but its becoming rarer and rarer as the other guys fighting from the gym prefer to just box, and a alot few of them are doing very well so the coach is running with that.
I dont do alot of strength/weight training so maybe thats what i should do on rest days? or maybe more running to work on cardio?
Anyone else never feel satisfied with the quantity of training they do?

for physical conditioning i sometimes like to train like 7 days in a row and rest like 3 or 4.you could make a training schedule that just doesn't go by a weekly schedule and goes by your body's ability. speaking of your body's ability, make sure your body can handle your thirst for training. if you overtrain and hurt yourself you wont be able to train for months even years, possibly. or this could be because your getting shitty training, if you are only punching air or hitting bags thats not good make sure you spar when you train. to be a good fighter you need to have good physical conditioning, technique, and experience.

Quality is more important than anything else. What are your goals? What are the gyms. Describe how a work out goes in them. Do you train strenght and conditioning and how. There are plenty of guys who can help here.

I am particularly suspicious towards the karate gym. I have not seen a proper karate place in years. This summer I watched a karate camp from a Serbian club. They finished with belt grading and a few fights. Honestly I would beat all of their fighters even in their weird rules and I am not a guy that trains often or has a huge training experience. I would completely destroy these guys in kick boxing rules with face punches and protective gear.

Anyone else never feel satisfied with the quantity of training they do?

I never feel truly satisfied with the quantity of training i do... But that doesn't mean my body will be able to keep up...

In my opinion, at least one rest day is a necessity. Maybe a very light jog, or some light shadow to work on some techniques of the week, but mostly for the mental part.
I prefer to do 2-3 training session a day, and have a full day to recover, than to have 1 session every day of the week.
You can work on your own for some conditioning, flexibility, strength...

And on a personal note, if there is something to change, I would advise:

Monday: Muay Thai
Tuesday: Nothing
Wednesday: Muay Thai
Thursday: Muay Thai
Friday: Muay Thai then Muay Thai
Saturday: Muay Thai then Muay Thai
Sunday: Nothing

Quality is more important than anything else. What are your goals? What are the gyms. Describe how a work out goes in them. Do you train strenght and conditioning and how. There are plenty of guys who can help here.

I am particularly suspicious towards the karate gym. I have not seen a proper karate place in years. This summer I watched a karate camp from a Serbian club. They finished with belt grading and a few fights. Honestly I would beat all of their fighters even in their weird rules and I am not a guy that trains often or has a huge training experience. I would completely destroy these guys in kick boxing rules with face punches and protective gear.

All the gyms are of good quality, the boxing gym and BJJ gym have both produced numerous guys who have been successful at national level. The karate club also isnt bad, and i only attend the kumite classes and make a conscious effort to avoid kata. I wouldnt question any of the clubs, and the training i do get i am happy with. Its just trying to get more of it.
As for conditioning, i get about 3 hours a week worth of dedicated conditioning work. I run maybe 7 miles a week or so. My strength/weight training is essentially non-existent. Obviously there is strength training in my conditioning work but this is low weight and high reps, or repping for 3 minutes. I do very little heavy lifting.

just look for good training, style doesn't really matter
^This. The karate training mostly consists of general plyometrics, agility ladders, footwork drills etc. followed by abit of sparring, the contact is light but we often go continuous rather than breaking on each technique. I do feel it has it benefits.

Karate is fine, it's not like mcdojos teach fundamentally wrong technique, it's usually fine technique just an awful approach to training - he's training full contact with BJJ and Boxing anyway so I doubt OP will suffer from adding a karate class to it.

I'd recommend replacing a boxing/karate day with an MMA day though, you're learning all this stuff seperately so you may as well get an MMA class in to learn to mix it all together.

Karate is fine, it's not like mcdojos teach fundamentally wrong technique, it's usually fine technique just an awful approach to training - he's training full contact with BJJ and Boxing anyway so I doubt OP will suffer from adding a karate class to it.

I'd recommend replacing a boxing/karate day with an MMA day though, you're learning all this stuff seperately so you may as well get an MMA class in to learn to mix it all together.

See I would add an MMA day if I could, but my local MMA gym trains monday, wednesday, friday. So itll be boxing or bjj I loose in trade for the MMA class. I was thinking that less than twice a week for each would be a little too infrequent to make progress at any considerable rate

See I would add an MMA day if I could, but my local MMA gym trains monday, wednesday, friday. So itll be boxing or bjj I loose in trade for the MMA class. I was thinking that less than twice a week for each would be a little too infrequent to make progress at any considerable rate

Have you got any friends that train? Because if you really don't want to lose a boxing or BJJ day I'd say just find some other martial artists who are okay with sparring and drilling MMA and make your own training day.

I would say if you have to lose anything lose karate because you might find there would be a guy in your MMA class who knows karate or TKD that could teach you the kicks - but yeah I get what you mean it's a pretty tough challenge.

My MMA gym currently only has Muay Thai, 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu and MMA classes - so I end up travelling a way away to train sambo - so I completely feel you when it comes to time constraints.

Do you have any goals in mind or are you training as a hobby? Training 5 times a week makes it sound like you're looking to be a fighter

Have you got any friends that train? Because if you really don't want to lose a boxing or BJJ day I'd say just find some other martial artists who are okay with sparring and drilling MMA and make your own training day.

I would say if you have to lose anything lose karate because you might find there would be a guy in your MMA class who knows karate or TKD that could teach you the kicks - but yeah I get what you mean it's a pretty tough challenge.

My MMA gym currently only has Muay Thai, 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu and MMA classes - so I end up travelling a way away to train sambo - so I completely feel you when it comes to time constraints.

Do you have any goals in mind or are you training as a hobby? Training 5 times a week makes it sound like you're looking to be a fighter

There are a few guys i could talk to about meeting up for a bit of sparring, i might try to work that in for my free days.
Another problem is the scheduling of the MMA classes. Mondays striking, wednesdays wrestling, and no gi on fridays. So i would be leaving boxing to go MMA striking, leaving BJJ for NoGi etc. They do have sparring on saturday evenings I could probably make but it isnt always a thing. its more just organised the day before if a few guys are available.

I do intend to fight , i just had my first boxing fight a few weeks back. Would like to compete in BJJ in the future too. Im in no real rush about competing, if the opportunity arises Ill compete.

Last edited:
There are a few guys i could talk to about meeting up for a bit of sparring, i might try to work that in for my free days.
Another problem is the scheduling of the MMA classes. Mondays striking, wednesdays wrestling, and no gi on fridays. So i would be leaving boxing to go MMA striking, leaving BJJ for NoGi etc. They do have sparring on saturday evenings I could probably make but it isnt always a thing. its more just organised the day before if a few guys are available.

I do intend to fight , i just had my first boxing fight a few weeks back. Would like to compete in BJJ in the future too. Im in no real rush about competing, if the opportunity arises Ill compete.

That sounds like an unusual set up for an MMA class, normally they'd divide it up the classes to focus on two aspects a day.

As for your worry on you not training enough, you're training plenty, just try to have fun with it. People who focus on results will always be disappointed, you should make sure that your fun and satisfaction comes from training - not necessarily being at the top or anything like that. Congrats on the first boxing match too.

I'd say do a few more boxing matches and a few BJJ competitions and then think about MMA some more :D

All the gyms are of good quality, the boxing gym and BJJ gym have both produced numerous guys who have been successful at national level. The karate club also isnt bad, and i only attend the kumite classes and make a conscious effort to avoid kata. I wouldnt question any of the clubs, and the training i do get i am happy with. Its just trying to get more of it.
As for conditioning, i get about 3 hours a week worth of dedicated conditioning work. I run maybe 7 miles a week or so. My strength/weight training is essentially non-existent. Obviously there is strength training in my conditioning work but this is low weight and high reps, or repping for 3 minutes. I do very little heavy lifting.

^This. The karate training mostly consists of general plyometrics, agility ladders, footwork drills etc. followed by abit of sparring, the contact is light but we often go continuous rather than breaking on each technique. I do feel it has it benefits.

Well there. Add a couple of days Strength Training to your weekly routine and I am sure you will feel you are doing more. Strength is important for fight sports. Not sure what your levels are but if you havent been training for long start with a body building type of routine rather than strength one and when you reach about 8 reps of body weight bench, 8 reps of 120kg squad and deadlift you can pass to a more strenght oriented routine.

This is what I use when I am in season doing amateur soccer. Keep in mind that I play one competitive game a week and 1 training game a week and this loads my legs quite a lot and adds about 15-20km per week running. I run on my own once or twice 5kms with a ball to dribble around or play around. And once per week I would go alone to train some technique which adds another 2-3 kms of running chasing the ball around :)

The position I play - defensive mid - requires a lot of short burst sprints and heavy tackling to disposes opponents so the load towards explosiveness I get in practice day and the strength gained for tackling I gain from this routine. I am quite strong for a football player and I weight a lot for football so the job is done. It is really a position where you need to gain respect from your opponents from a psychological point if view. They need to fear you and your rough ball winning so they chose back passing when you press them. Then it is another short burst to return to a position or press.

Day1
1.Squad 3x8
2.Military Press 3x10
Machine for the back quads 3x12-15
Chin ups or a machine for vertical pulls 3x10
Peck deck 3x12
Rows 3x10

Day2
1.Deadlift 3x8
2.Benchpress 3x8
Lunges - low weight just try to do 3 sets x 12 each leg
chin ups or machine for vertical pulls 3x10
side lateral rises 3x12
rows 3x10

As you see it is simple it covers most of the body and it has the main exercises. 1 and 2 are done with the maximum weight you can do at every work out. The rest are supportive exercises and it is important to lift heavy with them, but do not over do it. You can add calf work both days, you can add some extra stuff for the legs if you want to (I do not as my load towards the legs is huge from running). Once you gain some strength you can find a coach to show you how to snatch and clean and add them to the routine.

Last edited:
Just do what you want dude!
I Kickbox Monday and Wednesday and strength train 3-4 times a week, I would like to add some grappling as well but don't have the time, just make it a priority to train the things you enjoy the most, and you can't go wrong

Train what you enjoy! :)

If you want more performance then add some barbell training into your week. Squats, deadlifts, press, rows, your big complex movements are easy to progress by adding small weight and/or reps to each workout. Especially if you aren't already doing it! This means you can easily progress your strength which will benefit everything.

Ok I take double class a day each class being a hour and half 6 days of the week and lift in the mornings, sundays off to recover tho I try to active rest / walking etc.
It depends on how I am physically doing most the time tho, if I got some bad injuries I take rest day/s and those do make me feel guilty so bad. lol.
Idk honestly whatever works the best for you, and what your goals are.

depending on how hard you train, 4 days a week is enough to fight. obviously the more the better, but no more than 6 max IMO. 5 is plenty for regular training, with a break here and there of only 4 days, then maybe 4 weeks before a fight, 6 days a week training.

I would say just listen to your body. If you feel like you can train more at 100 percent by all means do it. Over training leads to injuries and half ass, less efficient training days that would be better if you toned it down. It just depends. a 20 year old is going to be able to train more than a 40 year old. There are so many variables and how serious you are about it. one of my questions would be why do you train? are you doing it for fun, to fight, etc?

My typical schedule is this

Mon- off or light cardio
Tues BJJ
Wed No gi or Muay thai
Thurs BJJ
Fri Muay thai
Sat BJJ or muay thai
Sun off

I am already proficient in boxing and Judo so I don't spread out too thin with those anymore. I'm mostly satisfied but hate picking between 1 or the other most days due to schedule conflicts.

Back