Path of Exiles got its 5th birthday and devs got message to players

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/v...meWI6nkA6BOAY15NQSRIL1yQthdglZorQ2uVW-EuLhK6o

Cant remember exactly when I started playing PoE, it was when it had just 3 acts at the time. PoE gave players what Diablo 3 couldn't, customisation, different and unchained playstyles. I was former Diablo 2 player and PoE was what I was looking for.

PoE lore and music is however nowhere near the Diablo 2, its gothic and satanic setting cannot be found in neither Diablo 3 and PoE. In Diablo 2 it felt almost like reality tied to religion. It even made me reading bible believe or not. In King Solomon the Baal demon was mentioned. And I was fascinated by it. The hell in ACT 4 its like imagination of a real hell.

I am not by any means hardcore PoE player but I play quite consistently and even own 1 character lvl 100. I wish a mutation of PoE complexity and D2 lore and atmosphere was created under different game. I am still young so wouldn't mind spend another few extra years grinding something nice.

Last edited:
5 years and it's still "POE VS D3". No other ARPG has even come close and nothing on the horizon seems like its going to take up the mantle either. You'd think by now a dev would have come in and stood on their shoulders and made something new. Maybe Arpgs arent as popular as we think, or theyre more challenging to make than we think. Im still looking forward to Wolcen, but offhand I cant think of another one that excites me.

I'm deep in this game currently, destroying all content this league easily. It has only taken me 3 leagues and 700+ hours to understand most of the game. That's a testament to how good and deep it is. D2 was my favorite game growing up (and out of a lot of classic well regarded games).

I agree Bob, I wish there were other ARPGs or that it was a more popular genre so we could have more innovation or at least money involved with devs to have a more polished game (PoE is amazing, but can be clunky, lacks the fluidity of a AAA developer like Blizzard).

Not quite sure what I was doing when this game came out but it obviously wasn't gaming much or paying attention or I would have been on it a lot sooner.

5 years and it's still "POE VS D3". No other ARPG has even come close and nothing on the horizon seems like its going to take up the mantle either. You'd think by now a dev would have come in and stood on their shoulders and made something new. Maybe Arpgs arent as popular as we think, or theyre more challenging to make than we think. Im still looking forward to Wolcen, but offhand I cant think of another one that excites me.
Alot of them have come and gone, but its a hard genre to get right. Mechanics are easy, but the story, and addictive part is hard to master.

D3 even fucked it up and they had the genre handed to them on a silver platter.

Last edited:
Alot of them have come and gone, but its a hard genre to get right. Mechanics are easy, but the story, and addictive part is hard to master.

D3 even fucked it up and they had the genre handed to them on a silver platter.
FWIW D3 was a success for me, made $1400 on the RMAH, but the gameplay was no where near PoE.

I only logged about 100 hours in POE so not sure how valid my opinion is and it might be an unpopular one:

I like POE, don't love it. It pains me to say it (because of its many flaws in gamedesign, or choices that I don't agree with), but I still prefer D3 over POE. Or at least I play more D3 than POE. Maybe it's because I'm older and don't have as much time to really dig into games. D3 has that fix for me. It's accesible, fun, gives nice rewards even if you don't play it as a complete timesink. It'll never be as good as D2 imo because of the more cartoony atmosphere and interchangeable skills. But on the other hand POE at times feels too clunky, floaty (I don't know if it's lag because of the servers or something else...) and way too 'abstract' and complicated for me. That skill tree scares the living shit out of me. Of course, all the things I list as negatives about the game might actually be positives for people who really want to go deep into the game, I fully understand that.

I do praise the devs for their constant loop of new content and feedback and making the whole thing F2P with just cosmetics as a business model.

I think D3 and POE are mostly doing different things and that's cool. I do hope that D4 finds that balance between D2/POE and D3.

Poes online isnt very good imo. You cant really meet people easily. In diablo 2 you could just join any game you wanted and play with people. In poe I never met a single person. It just didnt have that "it" quality, and seemed mediocre in every way. Its deep but just doesn't do it for me

When D3 came out i was excited as all hell. Then...i played it. leveling up was damn near pointless. Runes? The fuck are these?! Id literally would have to level up maybe 3x or more until i got a decent new skill.

Path of Exile was such a fucking relief.

I have let 1300 hours + on my Steam version, played a good bit of Alpha/Beta and launch with the game launcher before all that. Love this game. ALWAYS fun to come back and play a league or two in a row, a few weeks a league. It's a great filler game for me, as it is ever evolving and implementing cool new stuff as well as revamping old stuff.

Power creep is real, and broken items/combos exist for those who have the time to put in to get the currency, but it's probably one of the best free to play games on the market. For sure has the best cash shop of any free to play game ever, and all other F2P games should adopt this model IMO.

Surprised the one dude who lives to shit on this (most) games hasn't been in here ranting and raving about it yet.

Poes online isnt very good imo. You cant really meet people easily

hahaha, what?

Surprised the one dude who lives to shit on this (most) games hasn't been in here ranting and raving about it yet.

...stating that poe peaked long ago and has been ruined by power creep is 'shitting on?' and how odd of you to say, since you mentioned the power creep in that same post... i guess you just wanted to argue and be contrarian, since it seems that you agree with the general point...

Absolutely love the game, especially how grim some of the areas are, the skill tree and the overall freedom. But I'll probably never play another league again because I just can't run through that campaign again to get to maps. They really need to implement something to skip it if you've already completed it say a handful of times to make sure you have a decent grasp on the mechanics and what to do post-campaign. I could run maps and farm Lab for hours but the initial time investment to get a character there isn't something I never want to do again. Having said that, I did have a total blast the first two or three runs through the massive 10 Act campaign and it is well worth playing for anyone with an interest in loot and building a unique character.

My favorite build was a zombie Necromancer build, from one of the youtubers, that made them ultra strong. Watching my minions wipe out an entire room in seconds was really fun. Dark Pact Berserker was a load of fun, too. Really wanted to do a Frost Bolt totem build and a bow build but too many other games to play.

Back