Pathetic fighter pay is robbing us of the greats. Agreed?

Money has ruined it and fighters feel more entitled now than ever.

They used to fight for peanuts but they fought more often because they had to.

Now the great fighters get paid enough that they can afford to sit on the shelf for over a year.

I liked it more when it was a contest to see who was the best fighter. Now it is a "sport" and celebrity status is important.

Everyone's crap & overrated, got it.

How much were GSP, McGregor & Ronda - the top earners - even making anyway? ronda's probably on more money doing almost nothing in the WWE. Everyone's used to hearing about Messi & Lebron earning £500k p/wk & Mayweather throwing around absurd numbers. Andre Ward makes like 5+ million for fights that have a buyrates of 250k. McGregor should be on 25million a fight, easy.

Ronda made way more in MMA then the WWE. Its sad that you have a problem with Conor and GSP making millions a fight. The problem is the guys making 20k a fight, not GSP and Conor

when did the diaz bros do good ppv draws without fighting conor silva or gsp? please tell

Don't ever mention the Diaz brothers in the same sentences as "greats" ever gain TS.

Ronda made way more in MMA then the WWE. Its sad that you have a problem with Conor and GSP making millions a fight. The problem is the guys making 20k a fight, not GSP and Conor

I do have a problem with guys making 20k per fight. Read what I said, I said I dunno how these put food in the fridge. I think the roster should be thinned out though - it cant support this many lower tier guys.

The point is, as fight fans, are people not kinda pissed that all the top guys arent active right now? Largely because its not worth their while. Boxing doesnt have this problem.

Money has ruined it and fighters feel more entitled now than ever.

They used to fight for peanuts but they fought more often because they had to.

Now the great fighters get paid enough that they can afford to sit on the shelf for over a year.

I liked it more when it was a contest to see who was the best fighter. Now it is a "sport" and celebrity status is important.

This is so backwards. Dana White's got Disneyland in his back garden but, yeah, lets pay fighters peanuts like its 1920, & watch out of shape untrained bums that only rednecks are interested in

This is so backwards. Dana White's got Disneyland in his back garden but, yeah, lets pay fighters peanuts like its 1920, & watch out of shape untrained bums that only rednecks are interested in

They sign to UFC for celebrity status. Now they can do seminars and open a gym (a UFC fighter run gym).

Also, no one held a gun to their headh They were offered a certain amount and they signed the contract I have no sympathy if someone feels underpaid. Any of them are free to start their own organization and pay themselves whatever they want.

My point was, fighters used to fight. They fought who and when they were scheduled to fight. Now they try to pick and choose. The damn media events and Twitter posts have become more important than the fighting.

Everyone's crap & overrated, got it.

How much were GSP, McGregor & Ronda - the top earners - even making anyway? ronda's probably on more money doing almost nothing in the WWE. Everyone's used to hearing about Messi & Lebron earning £500k p/wk & Mayweather throwing around absurd numbers. Andre Ward makes like 5+ million for fights that have a buyrates of 250k. McGregor should be on 25million a fight, easy.

if james only played 1 game a year he make like 1 million bucks.

They sign to UFC for celebrity status. Now they can do seminars and open a gym (a UFC fighter run gym).

Also, no one held a gun to their headh They were offered a certain amount and they signed the contract I have no sympathy if someone feels underpaid. Any of them are free to start their own organization and pay themselves whatever they want.

My point was, fighters used to fight. They fought who and when they were scheduled to fight. Now they try to pick and choose. The damn media events and Twitter posts have become more important than the fighting.

That's more to do with rankings than money. Fighters will still fight often, it's just that they won't fight anyone who they see as a step back. The #4 fighting #9 isn't a 'good fight' for the #4 guy. He wants #3. Who only wants #2 or #1.

Get rid of rankings. Only have a champion and a #1 contender in each division. Remove interim titles. Champions fight every 6 months unless injured, during which time they have 12 - 18 months to return or they get stripped. Have #1 Contender fights headline TV cards or co-headline PPVs. Fighters receive a pay bonus for being #1 contender which encourages them to take fights even if the Champion is out.

That's more to do with rankings than money. Fighters will still fight often, it's just that they won't fight anyone who they see as a step back. The #4 fighting #9 isn't a 'good fight' for the #4 guy. He wants #3. Who only wants #2 or #1.

Get rid of rankings. Only have a champion and a #1 contender in each division. Remove interim titles. Champions fight every 6 months unless injured, during which time they have 12 - 18 months to return or they get stripped. Have #1 Contender fights headline TV cards or co-headline PPVs. Fighters receive a pay bonus for being #1 contender which encourages them to take fights even if the Champion is out.

I'd still rather see tournaments.

For this person on this day- or don't get paid.

I know it'll never happen

I mean there's two sides to this right? More pay means they can pull a Connor and don't have to fight as much or at all. The other side is we want them to be comfortable. It's about that happy medium, we just haven't found it.

More consistent higher pay will make fighters fight more.

Offer Conor $100 million to fight tomorrow and see how quickly he shows up to fight.

Allowing Conor to box when he was under contract was the dumbest move I have ever seen from the UFC. You have a man in Conor, the biggest star of all time. He is rolling along, having the most high profile career of all time. And they let him out the back door, so he can make 100 mil to box??? I will never understand WTF they were thinking? You milk that asset for all it was worth. Getting in on the payday with Floyd does not make up for all the 1 plus mil PPV's he is not headlining.

UFC took a part of the PPV revenue and it was responsible for 2017 being their most profitable year of all time.

You can't be taken seriously when you typed Nicholas Diaz....

Yep it's messed up because of fighter pay. Fighters don't get enough so we don't see great fights as often. Rumble gone, guys like Gus not fighting that often, Carwin going back to his main job, Brock Lesnar only making cameo appearances. Stipe still fire fighting instead of going full UFC. Mousasi leaving, Fedor never joining the UFC, Dana's inability to sign Conor to a fight and the list goes on

UFC took a part of the PPV revenue and it was responsible for 2017 being their most profitable year of all time.

They lost the biggest star in the history of the company. He has not competed in the company in over two years. How much more would they have made had he been the headline in a couple of shows at what he was generating? There is no comparison. And as far as 2017 being the best year ever. There is some tricky math going on there. Because the ppv business is in the toilet.

gsp ronda conor were the highest paid on the roster,

jones killed him self being a ped cheater so nothing to do with pay.

diaz brothers are over rated .500 fighters so there not fighting cause of fighter pay it cause there
making million selling weed.

the people leaving ghe ufc like benson rory bader are people thayt never been ufc champs and cant sell so no need to over pay Viacom to keep them

Benson was a UFC champ mate. Beat Edgar at UFC 144 for it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back