Pauly Shore talks about the decline of his movie career

I just can't imagine the boxing damage was that bad. For one, I don't think he actually had that many fights, did he?

For another, I'm not aware of any other boxers whose faces got so fucked up from boxing that they'd need plastic surgery to fix it.
Yea youre right. He claims he had a busted nose, shattered orbital ,cheekbone, split lip, etc. I dont doubt he had those injuries. He had like 15 fights or something like that. I think its his excuse and he was just addicted to surgery. You could see the gradual change right around Wild Orchid. He had cheek implants done for no good reason. Good looking guy who aged like shit. Look at RDJ. Still good looking. Most boxers when they retire do get their deviated septums fixed so they can breathe right again.

Yea youre right. He claims he had a busted nose, shattered orbital ,cheekbone, split lip, etc. I dont doubt he had those injuries. He had like 15 fights or something like that. I think its his excuse and he was just addicted to surgery. You could see the gradual change right around Wild Orchid. He had cheek implants done for no good reason. Good looking guy who aged like shit. Look at RDJ. Still good looking. Most boxers when they retire do get their deviated septums fixed so they can breathe right again.

A shame he went and fucked himself up like that.

As you say, there seems to be an addiction there on some level. I just don't see why else he would keep going back again and again and again when the results clearly were not positive.

Now the guy literally does not look human.

A shame he went and fucked himself up like that.

As you say, there seems to be an addiction there on some level. I just don't see why else he would keep going back again and again and again when the results clearly were not positive.

Now the guy literally does not look human.

If he coudn't tell in the late stages, why would he be able to in the early stages?

513259474_13195159_wide-360d295b5726058b589b84b5d341f077b1cde4a7.jpg

He was popular when I was a kid. I watched all of his big movies besides Bio Dome. I also had one of his old comedy CDs. And watched him on MTV too. One time I saw him at a festival in Harvard Square and it was like seeing a big celebrity, everybody was like oh shit, it's Pauly Shore.

Funny how he just fell off overnight and almost disappeared from the public lexicon. I found his Joe Rogan Experience appearance interesting but also a little sad because he loved being a star so much and it was working for him so well, and then it was gone just like that.

He should have just gone into voice acting for kids cartoons or something. He failed to pivot

Pauly reminiscing some more on the old days, talking about his time on MTV.

"Now it's the Jersey Shore, back when I was on MTV it was the muthafuckin' Pauly Shore!"

In an attempt to revive his career, he put out a movie a long time ago called Pauly Shore is Dead. The movie is about his character's quest to become an accomplished, Shakespearean actor because he recognizes that he was extremely lucky and doesn't have the skills to save his fading career once the novelty is over.

I can't emphasize enough that he was playing himself, Pauly Shore, but was doing a piss poor job of it because of how bad of actor he was. And the entire plot he was failing to act in revolved around Pauly Shore learning to act in order to revive his career.

It was a strange type of meta-fail that I can't articulate properly. It was very jarring that he recognized that he needed to expand his skills, but refused to do so and would only (poorly) play a character expanding his skills.

A truly cringe-inducing moment came during the closing credits, when he played answering machine messages to the audience in which actors and industry professionals left polite messages saying he was excellent to work with and they enjoyed working on his project. It was painful to see that he wasn't willing to study acting to become an actor, even though he knew he should, but would settle for playing messages to the audience hoping someone would listen to how nice he was to work with and give him a job.

what was stopping him from taking the jim carrey or robin williams route and making some bizarre/dark drama films?

even vince vaughn ended up doing psycho remake.
carrey did cable guy, eternal sunshine and some other dark/serious movies.
williams did final cut, one hour photo, etc.

it's either his agents fault and/or his for not pursuing out of the mold roles.

Combo of boxing , bad plastic surgeries to correct boxing damage , more surgeries to correct the other surgeries . Too much sun , drugs and booze didn’t help any either . Dude was my motherfucher in the late 80s early 90s. Peeps don’t understand how cool motherfucking Mickey Rourke used to be .
all of mickeys fights were fixed the real beating was from partying

what was stopping him from taking the jim carrey or robin williams route and making some bizarre/dark drama films?

even vince vaughn ended up doing psycho remake.
carrey did cable guy, eternal sunshine and some other dark/serious movies.
williams did final cut, one hour photo, etc.

it's either his agents fault and/or his for not pursuing out of the mold roles.

lol I would guess that he didn't want to work at becoming an actor.

Funny how he just fell off overnight and almost disappeared from the public lexicon. I found his Joe Rogan Experience appearance interesting but also a little sad because he loved being a star so much and it was working for him so well, and then it was gone just like that.

The dude really did fall off quickly. I liked him a lot when I was a kid and he was on MTV and some of his movies were fun.

Just goes to show how cutthroat the entertainment business is. He had a few films that didn't do well and Hollywood was just like, "All right bro, later."

I think I might watch Son in Law tonight in memory of when he was somebody.

lol I would guess that he didn't want to work at becoming an actor.

It could also be that he didn't have the confidence in himself to do something serious. And frankly, I think he could've been right on that.

Something tells me he may have just not had the talent to do something that wasn't comedy.

Never thought a Pauly Shore thread would be steadily marching toward 150 posts.

Pauly trying to educate Millenials and telling parents to tell their kids who he is.

It could also be that he didn't have the confidence in himself to do something serious. And frankly, I think he could've been right on that.

Something tells me he may have just not had the talent to do something that wasn't comedy.

It's pretty hard to imagine him doing something serious and dramatic. It would certainly be on him to go out of his way to demonstrate he has those abilities. It's easy to understand giving Mike Myers or Bill Murray the opportunity to take on something serious.

Casting Pauly Shore in a drama is a lot more like casting Gallagher. Why would someone do it?

I think most people would agree he never had the talent to do comedy, either.

I actually think he might have been better in serious roles.

Pauly Shore is Dead is a strange viewing experience. You should check it out.

It's pretty hard to imagine him doing something serious and dramatic. It would certainly be on him to go out of his way to demonstrate he has those abilities. It's easy to understand giving Mike Myers or Bill Murray the opportunity to take on something serious.

Casting Pauly Shore in a drama is a lot more like casting Gallagher. Why would someone do it?

I wouldn't make him the lead, but he'd be just fine on some generic cop show. IMO.

I think most people would agree he never had the talent to do comedy, either.

I liked him back in the day.

As a kid watching him on MTV, I thought he was cool. And as I've mentioned before ITT, I legitimately enjoyed Son in Law back in the day. I thought it was a fun and entertaining movie and thought he did well.

Pauly Shore is Dead is a strange viewing experience. You should check it out.

Yeah, I saw you mention that one earlier. I'll have to check it out.

I wouldn't make him the lead, but he'd be just fine on some generic cop show. IMO.

I'm just trying to imagine Pauly Shore trying to look intimindating and saying, "Now why don't you tell us where you hid the crack cocaine!"

he was never that good. if i were him i would try to do something like get into a quentin tarantino movie or some dark shit.

Tarantino could work some magic with Shore, Rob Schneider, or Bobcat Goldthwait.

Sorta unrelated, would like to see Tom Waits with a big role in a Tarantino flick.

Back