PC Tactical RPG's

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Since I was banned from Heroes of the Storm last month for flaming newbs and zero-IQ players, I've been exploring single player gaming again.

I got into turn-based tactical RPG's, and open world brawlers (ie Arkham series, Mad Max, Mordor games). In this thread I'll focus more on the tactical RPG's.

Games I have:

Hard West: The game that got me into PC tactical RPG's. Dark western story, that gets increasingly occult and out-there. It's split into several scenario, each with its own protagonists and antagonists. Some mechanics in it are very abusable, such as the "Unholy Power" powerup, and the luck/hp system, but the game's atmosphere, grit, and story is a lot of fun.

Shadowrun Returns: Great game. Played the game as a human street ninja who's a shotgun / rifle expert.

Shadowrun Dragonfall: Started it, and i liked how it improved on the mechanics of Shadowrun Returns. Like John Wick, the universe created by the game is an interesting one to explore, and I look forward to more events in this shady cyberpunk universe.

BattleTech: Only tested it, but it's by the same studio as the two aforementioned games, and it's looking good. As soon as I finish the Shadowrun series (including Hong Kong) I'll get into it. I used to play Front Mission and old Mechwarior games, so this should be fun.

Titles I'm interested in picking:

Wasteland 2: Post-apocalyptic world with turn-based tactical combat ? Sign me up.

Titles I'm reluctant to pick:

X-Com 2: Although the game has rave reviews, and great reception, I'm not into aliens as an enemy. From what I understand, each mission consists of a squad of humans fighting off alien swarms. I prefer the enemies to be human, kind of a squad vs squad thing. Might give it a try, though.

Phantom Doctrine comes out Aug. 28. Made by the same guys as Hard West. Looks like X-COM except in a Cold War setting, espionage, conspiracy stuff.

Phantom Doctrine comes out Aug. 28. Made by the same guys as Hard West. Looks like X-COM except in a Cold War setting, espionage, conspiracy stuff.

Noysss ! Didn't know about that one.

Rarely does blizzard ban for flaming. You must have said some bad shit

Phoenix Point

X-COM-like game developed by the creator of X-COM.

I like the genre a lot but I didn't get into Wasteland 2 at all. The combat is baic and cheap and unlike say, the Shadowrun games (Which had a similar level of combat), it didn't have an interesting plot or setting to keep you involved. The post-apocalyptic thing has been done to death and Wasteland 2 doesn't do anything new with it

XCOM 2 (w/ WOTC + Mods) is brilliant though. I understand what you're saying about having aliens as enemies. I prefer low tech, realistic settings as well. But the XCOM games are so good though. The enemy have units that behave like humans (The basic cannon fodder - they're human-alien hybrids) but are enhanced by highly specialized alien units.

The prior XCOM game had the brilliant Enemy Within DLC which added a human faction that you would fight against (Basically dudes that supported the aliens). Basically they emulated your squad, fulfilling the same roles and it was always fun fighting them. Honestly, I think XCOM: Enemy Within is better than XCOM2 WOTC

Not mentioned, but Divine Divinity 2 is a tactics heavy RPG. Minmaxy, though.

Battletech was fun, but got grindy due to balance problems. Supposedly those have been fixed.

XCOM 2: wotc is good. I was a big fan of the originals, though.

Frozen Synapse is worth a try. Pure tactics, no RPG elements.

I couldn't get into the banner saga.

Since I was banned from Heroes of the Storm last month for flaming newbs and zero-IQ players, I've been exploring single player gaming again.

I got into turn-based tactical RPG's, and open world brawlers (ie Arkham series, Mad Max, Mordor games). In this thread I'll focus more on the tactical RPG's.

Games I have:

Hard West: The game that got me into PC tactical RPG's. Dark western story, that gets increasingly occult and out-there. It's split into several scenario, each with its own protagonists and antagonists. Some mechanics in it are very abusable, such as the "Unholy Power" powerup, and the luck/hp system, but the game's atmosphere, grit, and story is a lot of fun.

Shadowrun Returns: Great game. Played the game as a human street ninja who's a shotgun / rifle expert.

Shadowrun Dragonfall: Started it, and i liked how it improved on the mechanics of Shadowrun Returns. Like John Wick, the universe created by the game is an interesting one to explore, and I look forward to more events in this shady cyberpunk universe.

BattleTech: Only tested it, but it's by the same studio as the two aforementioned games, and it's looking good. As soon as I finish the Shadowrun series (including Hong Kong) I'll get into it. I used to play Front Mission and old Mechwarior games, so this should be fun.

Titles I'm interested in picking:

Wasteland 2: Post-apocalyptic world with turn-based tactical combat ? Sign me up.

Titles I'm reluctant to pick:

X-Com 2: Although the game has rave reviews, and great reception, I'm not into aliens as an enemy. From what I understand, each mission consists of a squad of humans fighting off alien swarms. I prefer the enemies to be human, kind of a squad vs squad thing. Might give it a try, though.

Pretty much listed everything except for Japanese games.

There is Into The Breach which is a Japanese game in English.

Not mentioned, but Divine Divinity 2 is a tactics heavy RPG. Minmaxy, though.

Battletech was fun, but got grindy due to balance problems. Supposedly those have been fixed.

XCOM 2: wotc is good. I was a big fan of the originals, though.

Frozen Synapse is worth a try. Pure tactics, no RPG elements.

I couldn't get into the banner saga.

Synapse is fine except it’s Shadow Run/Deus Ex with this ducking indy time limit/be perfect edge to it. Perfect your run or you die.

Banner has a grimdark aspect to it that puts Warhammer to shame. And also has the ducking be perfect issue.

Not really turn based but the Pillars of the Eternity series

Is heroes of the storm kind of like a league of legends?

I just looked it up a bit and it looks really fun.

Sorry to jump off topic of the tactical rpg's

Based on games you listed, give xcom 2 a try, here is a playthrough of a mission

came to say this... it's older but very tactial rpg-y in the fallout 1 and 2 like post apocalypse world...

There’s a really stupid difficulty ramp up in the middle. As in ludicrous.

There’s a really stupid difficulty ramp up in the middle. As in ludicrous.
Am I the only one who didn't find supermutants that bad? Aimed sniper shots make them drop their brownings, and the rest is easy when they run in. Just gotta bait them instead of trading shots

Am I the only one who didn't find supermutants that bad? Aimed sniper shots make them drop their brownings, and the rest is easy when they run in. Just gotta bait them instead of trading shots

You go in and suddenly it’s bullet proof mutants with rocket launchers and shredders.

XCOM 2 is brilliant as stated before. It's unforgiving and you will take heavy losses in your first few runs but when things are looking grim, your campaign is in dire straits and you're thinking you should just start over or "fuck this rng bullshit," your squads come clawing back and start winning battle after battle. Enemies that used to make you tremble and force you to pick a sacrificial lamb turn into target practice for your elite squad of alien killers. I've never been a huge fan of turn-based (old Baldur's Gate habits die hard) but the latest XCOM games completely changed my mind. That tension when you're wondering if you made all the right moves and if everyone has solid cover, right before you end your turn is unmatched for me.

By far one of the best parts of the series is customizing your soldiers and giving them your own personal touches to their appearances. It really attaches you to your soldiers beyond thinking, "damn, he was top tier." The modding community is really strong, too.

Not turn-based but still in the strategy realm is the Total War: Warhammer games. You can pause the battles and take your time to evaluate everything and issue orders as well as using slow motion battle speed option. The battles are some of my favorite gaming moments of the past year. The atmosphere is unbeatable and Creative Assembly has done an impeccable job bringing such iconic characters to life. Warhammer 1 can be bought cheaply nowadays. The sheer variety of each faction's roster makes the game infinitely replayable and the modding community is out of this world. There are a shit ton of mods on Steam Workshop. Some are just small QOL mods but some are very, very deep and either overhaul the game completely and/or add new mechanics to the game that alter the gameplay in many ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back