Pennsylvania Republicans move to impeach state Supreme Court for the crime of fair redistricting

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2018...eme-Court-for-the-crime-of-fair-redistricting

In a stunning display of contempt for democracy and the rule of law, Pennsylvania Republican state Rep. Cris Dush has introduced a resolution to impeach four of the five Democratic state Supreme Court justices who recently struck down the GOP’s congressional gerrymander and replaced it with a much fairer map for the 2018 elections. This maneuver comes just a day after the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously rejected the GOP’s bid to block the state court’s ruling, demonstrating that even the conservative-majority federal bench thinks Pennsylvania Republicans have no legal leg to stand on. But top Republicans had previously voiced support for this extreme measure, and GOP state Senate Majority Leader Jake Corman refused to rule it out on Tuesday.

By signing this form, you are agreeing to receive occasional emails on this and related campaigns from Daily Kos. You may of course unsubscribe at any time. Here's our privacy policy.

Disturbingly, Republicans hold enough seats needed to impeach judges without any Democratic votes thanks to their gerrymanders of the legislature, which gave them a solid hold on the state House and the minimum two-thirds of necessary seats in the state Senate. Should they proceed with (and succeed with) this supremely destructive effort, Republicans still wouldn’t gain control over the court unless Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf loses re-election in November, which appears unlikely as of now. But because Wolf could only appoint replacement justices with Senate approval, the GOP could cripple the court for years to come, potentially imperiling fairer districts after the 2020 census.

One might think such a naked attack on the rule of law would be a bridge too far for Republicans, but we’ve seen in state after state how the GOP has tried to undermine judicial independence after the 2010 wave election swept them into power across the country. And even if they don’t ultimately impeach judges this time, this brazenly undemocratic proposal could send a chilling message to judges in the future that they could be impeached and removed from office for their jurisprudence if they don’t rule the way Republicans want.

On my phone, can't find the original thread. GOP going even lower.

<Dany07>
thats like sacking the ref when you lose the game, the more im exposed to american politics, the more the GOP and its supporters resemble the kid on his back in the supermarket aisle
toddlertantrumstore.jpg

Everybody in the state should be able to vote in all the congressional races.

What a shit display of where our country is.
Party over liberty.

These fuckers should literally be locked up for literally obstruction of justice.

Why is this 'fair redistricting" rather than gerrymandering the other way? Because in one election it fared a slightly better result (which Trump still got more votes in)?

Is it only 'fair redistricting' when the party who lost last gets to do it?

Why is this 'fair redistricting" rather than gerrymandering the other way? Because in one election it fared a slightly better result (which Trump still got more votes in)?

This is so fucking stupid it hurt me to read it.

Not really a strong rebuttal, nice try though. Next time you try to make any point I'll be sure to remember it.

Just stop with your dumb shit please. Fuck off to shitpost in another thread.

I've been having trouble finding out how likely this is to happen.

The movement is starting in the house where the GOP has a 60% majority.

The PA statute says you need 2/3 of the Senate to pass it and they rule the Senate with 34 of 50 but I don't know if all of the GOP senators are on board or if there is a House threshold.

And I don't even know if the reason they are impeaching them for is constitutional

Have you seen the maps?

Not really a strong rebuttal, nice try though. Next time you try to make any point I'll be sure to remember it.
You don't have any idea what you're talking about. Not the events, not the basic facts, nothing. Conversing on this matter with you would be an exercise in futility, and sadism.

<Huh2>

Have you seen the maps?
I can't (and most of us probably can't) just look at some lines and determine whether it's fair or not. If you're looking at the lines after an election has occurred and using that to base what's fair, then why aren't those lines just completely arbitrary and just aimed towards the gains of the party? If the total numbers in Pennsylvania were closer then maybe it would matter, but at the end of the day Trump won by a decent margin overall in the state and it was reflected within the map.

Back