Pentagon can't account for $21 trillion, up from $6.5 trillion (UPDATED W/ REAL ARTICLE -- POST #66)

I hate these fucking threads. It doesn't mean that trillions of dollars went missing. It means the accounting system for the DoD is garbage. Lots of errors in the article too.

Our travel management and financial management systems are pieces of crap, oracle-based systems . . . completely unreliable and often unusable

So Donald Trump is building the Death Star.

And the IRS fines me for owing like $1k lol, good to know this country has its priorities right

I hate these fucking threads. It doesn't mean that trillions of dollars went missing. It means the accounting system for the DoD is garbage. Lots of errors in the article too.
i mean that's jsut a little more than the entire budget combined for every year give or take

rounding up to 700 billion to make it the record budget
1998-2018 so we get even numbers
700x20=14 trillion
so only off by about 7 trillion at those values

so i guess i need to see what trickery we're using here

Was Dr. Steven Greer right? Do they have a secret black Alien technology project?

Looks like all that "We can't afford healthcare" bullshit is right out the window. Universal care here we come.

Of course, we could. The way the current system is set up and how it came to be is the (many) road block(s), not what it would cost. Particularly considering the national debt is virtually meaningless anyway and US net worth is over $130 trillion.

Of course, we could. The way the current system is set up and how it came to be is the (many) road block(s), not what it would cost. Particularly considering the national debt is virtually meaningless anyway and US net worth is over $130 trillion.

Hey, that's been one of the talking points against it, i'm just pointing out that it's not relevant anymore.

We spend more than any other country, by all metrics it would be way more efficient than what we have now. For the people that don't listen to the metrics for whatever reason, it's a bit of a wake up call on their side imo.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-pentagon-cant-account-for-21-trillion/

That's some crazy shit. Thank you to the journalists who really dig for stuff like this.

2400 accountants auditing the Pentagon for the first time, ever.
The Pentagon needs to be audited. The military has long been notorious for wasteful spending.

I'd strongly support this and an audit of some other major bureaucracies as well, particularly the Department of Education, which has a similar reputation for graft, and wastefulness.

This is a very professionally done article. People on the left bitch about Fox news then read this shit?

"They sound like something Alex Jones found tattooed on his backside by extraterrestrials."

"So, pray tell, what did the OIG say caused all this unaccounted-for spending that makes Jeff Bezos’ net worth look like that of a guy jingling a tin can on the street corner?"

"It can clearly “create” as much as it wants for bombing and death. This would explain how Donald Trump’s military can drop well over 100 bombs a day that cost well north of $1 million each."

"So why can’t our government also “create” endless money for health care, education, the homeless, veterans benefits and the elderly, to make all parking free and to pay the Rolling Stones to play stoop-front shows in my neighborhood?"

"That’s like me saying I had sex with 100,000 wild hairless aardvarks because I wasn’t looking where I was walking."

These dumb the petagon lost $21 trillion! articles are dumb and misleading. I was going to make the point that if any of this were true it would be headline news at EVERY new agency in the world, but luckily the author actually made the point for me
"I have seen basically nothing from the mainstream corporate media concerning this mysterious $21 trillion."

Re: National Debt

https://realmoney.thestreet.com/art...nal-debt-why-fret-over-something-doesnt-exist

The National Debt: Why Fret Over Something That Doesn't Exist?

The public is lied to when it comes to the so-called national debt. They're clueless about it, as are most, if not all, of our lawmakers.

First off, there is no debt. The debt is dollars. The government spent $20 trillion more than it took away in taxes over the last 240 years, and those dollars, held by the non-government, comprise a big portion of the non-government's wealth. Nothing is "owed." It's owned, by us, the people.

Second, there is nothing to pay back. The money was paid, ended up in someone's bank account and now it's being held in the form of Treasuries. What's a Treasury? A Treasury is a dollar, the only difference being it's a dollar with a term (duration) and a coupon (interest payment). Why would people hold dollars in the form of Treasuries? To earn some interest, that's all. It's like saying, why would you put your money in a savings account as opposed to a checking account? Same reason, to earn interest. If you want it back in your checking account, you tell your bank and it switches it back from your savings account to your checking account.

That's how it works with the government, too. It "pays back" holders of Treasuries all the time. That's called a redemption and when Treasuries are redeemed the government simply instructs its bank, the Fed, to take back the securities and credit the individual's (or firm's or foreign government's or whomever's) bank account and, voila, it happens. Paid back. In fact, it happens so regularly and on such a big scale that it will totally blow your mind.

I am about to give you some numbers. Mind you, these are not numbers I made up or to which had some kind of top-secret access. Nor is this inside information that I am exposing. Rather, these are publicly available figures that you can get -- free -- right off the U.S. Treasury Department's website.

The resource is called the Daily Treasury Statement and it's really a fascinating document. It is posted daily on the Treasury's website and it's literally like looking at the checkbook of the federal government. Just like your checkbook, it has all the deposits and all the withdrawals, among other things. You can see everything. Every line item of spending (withdrawals) and every item of revenue (deposits) that runs through the government's accounts daily, monthly and yearly.

On this document there is a table -- Table III-A -- that gives all the redemptions of bills, notes, bonds and other securities the government redeems (pays back) every day, month and year.

If you go to the last statement of the fiscal year, Sept. 30, and you scroll down to that table I just gave you, Table III-A, you will see the government redeemed (paid back) $94.2 trillion in one year! I put a screenshot below.

Please note: All figures on the daily Treasury statement are in millions, so don't come back to me and say it was only $94.2 million. It's $94.2 million million. That's $94.2 trillion. See the image below.

Daily Treasury Statement

View Chart » View in New Window »

Ninety-four point two trillion! In a single year. And nobody knew about this. Furthermore, the world didn't fall apart, the dollar didn't collapse, interest rates didn't spike, we had no inflation and everything was fine.

There is the proof, right in front of our noses, that the debt is meaningless. It's just a bunch of bookkeeping entries. Keystrokes. It's time we stop fretting over this. People need to educate themselves about what this debt is and how they are being manipulated and propagandized about it.

The debt is not a bad thing, it is an asset of the non-government; however, ignorant, cynical, corrupt, dogmatic and self-serving groups like the Pete Peterson Foundation and organizations like Fix the Debt are in the business of keeping Americans misinformed and getting them to act against their own interests. These groups are bad and need to be stopped.

Was Dr. Steven Greer right? Do they have a secret black Alien technology project?
yesitis2.gif

smh now we’ll never get those 10,000 B22s

But why do you think the accounting system is garbage?

If you had trillion dollar budgets would not your accounting system be the best frikking accounting system on the planet as losing just a fraction of a percent could mean a massive number.

its not like accounting systems are novel and new things. They are very standard, evolved and quite easy to use.

i mean that's jsut a little more than the entire budget combined for every year give or take

rounding up to 700 billion to make it the record budget
1998-2018 so we get even numbers
700x20=14 trillion
so only off by about 7 trillion at those values

so i guess i need to see what trickery we're using here

Let's say you have an Asset. Something expensive. It gets received onto accountable record by one organization. Then that organization cuts it off their records and transfers it to a civilian contractor with their own records. Then the contractor delivers it to another organization, who transfers it to the organization who is going to use the thing (this is way oversimplified). At each step, local systems are updated, which in turn update bigger systems, which in turn update bigger systems- and often they are all different systems. And the military uses a different accounting style than civilians. The Pentagon is in charge of more than 2 trillion dollars worth of assets. Lots of them are expendable and leave no paper trail. Lots of them are shipped around short-notice or are emergency shipments. Inventory has to be adjusted all the time (I worked inventory in a bomb dump after 9/11...I can assure you it's a gigantic clusterfuck of holy shitness). Imagine what the bottom line records look like when it comes back around to the top of the accounting system.

It's really hard to account for everything- meaning having support documentation all the way, so that all adjustments are supported. You have to investigate discrepancies non-stop even in fairly static accounts. Sometimes you say fuck it, and ask for permission from your major command to just write the shit off...I may have done this a few times...

Last edited:

All that money they have and their accounting system is garbage? Sounds like more BS and lies.

But why do you think the accounting system is garbage?

If you had trillion dollar budgets would not your accounting system be the best frikking accounting system on the planet as losing just a fraction of a percent could mean a massive number.

its not like accounting systems are novel and new things. They are very standard, evolved and quite easy to use.
One of the biggest challenges is that we're at war all the time, so shit moves around constantly and things get broken and lost and there isn't time to figure everything out. But the way accounting works for the DoD is that it's all cobbled together from old specialized systems to meet local requirements, and the systems do not interface particularly well. Records retention is not done as well as it should be, but more important than that, there's no fucking way that everybody is spend their whole day calling around to get people to pull records from filing cabinets, or to look them up. They have real work to do.

It needs to be re-tooled from scratch, the whole thing. But there will STILL be massive problems with accountability. It would be, by far- really really far- the largest and most technical and difficult accounting system ever designed. It's the accounting equivalent of landing on Mars. It can be done, but Christ. I can't properly explain just how fucking difficult it is to do that. Maybe somebody like @PolishHeadlock who has big corporate accounting experience can chime in on that. I'm out of my element on this.

No you didn’t read the article. They’re talking about from 1998-2015. Nice try though

Did you somehow think my comment about building a Death Star was meant to be taken seriously?

Did you somehow think my comment about building a Death Star was meant to be taken seriously?
No. I just had to inform you that making the Trump connection made zero sense. I get it though, that’s the hip thing to do nowadays. Especially in the war room.