Elements - Collector's Edition

Phr3121

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, I thought of how cool it was that @zuul bought a 'huge' board game that he was so excited about. Nothing like having a hobby that brings pleasure to life. It really makes a difference, specially as you get older.

Some here may know about my passion for animals and how I rescued and adopted 5 donkeys. I also have a passion for nuclear physics. Never took physics in high school or College. My field of study was Psychology. My knowledge of physics was self thought. My work and career was in the military.

When I was taking chemistry in high school, which I sucked at, I remember the Periodic Table of elements. Those are all the elements currently known to man. Stuff that makes us and the world around us. Also the universe. I would marvel at that big chart in chemistry class. Things like oxygen, gold, and uranium. Gases, liquids, and solids. Some cheap, some expensive, some harmless and others deadly. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool to be able to have a small collection of all these elements?

Well, a while back, through a discussion here on 'Sherdog', I accidentally came across a site. 'United Nuclear'. Link: http://unitednuclear.com/ They are now offering some elements for sale for collection purposes.

"Interested in element collecting? We'll now be carrying samples of virtually every obtainable element on the periodic chart. You can see what elements are currently available for purchase (we'll be adding more on a regular basis) on our updated Element Samples section."

So, being the element/atom/nuclear freak, I decided to buy Gold and Uranium (238). They also sell small samples of 'Trinitite' from the first nuclear test in New Mexico in 1945. That's a piece of real history. Not the history from books and the internet. I bought all three samples. Each at about $40. 1oz of Gold sells for $1,300. I remember when it was at $300. The Gold sample is $39 for 0.5 gram.

Californium 252 costs $27 million per gram and Francium costs $1 billion per gram. Yeah, no shit. So, yes, it will be a limited collection.

goldingot5.jpg

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool. I have Gold and Silver coins and bars. But there is a place out here called Moma Menerials that my son like to go to amd they have a ton of shit like that. Fossils,shark teeth, fancy rocks, etc.. But they also had the nice fossil dino egg that was like 3k.

Jesus Christ bro, all the power to you for being able to segue from board games to 5 donkeys to nuclear physics to securing elements on the open market all in a single post. If that doesn’t deserve some kind of award I don’t know what does.

Im going to look up why those two are so expensive now. Thanks TS. I hope you get your francium someday.

The periodic table most people use is actually obsolete.
Chuck Norris destroyed it b/c he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Im going to look up why those two are so expensive now. Thanks TS. I hope you get your francium someday.

"Although one gram of Francium has never been observed. Because the half life of this element is about 22 minutes, which means any viewable quantity of the element would immediately vaporize. But it is assumed that Francium would appear as a highly reactive metal.

The largest amount of this element that has ever been produced in the laboratory was a cluster of more than 300,000 atoms. If someone wanted to buy one gram of it, he can expect to pay at least a few billion dollars. Although nobody would be willing to pay billions of dollars for something that will disappear within minutes and has no practical use whatsoever."

Last edited:
@Phr3121

I've always loved chemistry. I'm terrible at it, but the processes involved are wonderful to me. It's real life magic. If you want to collect elements, I have to pass on this idea of mine regarding the collection of different elements... They make these periodic tables that actually contain small samples of each element. Of course a few of the radioactive ones are missing, but they have a little vial of most elements so you can look at them.

Here's an example.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/494837...ceGESieLlKw6_6hyI6ZFvHxcoz43tFhRoCWrcQAvD_BwE

I'm terrible at chemistry and physics on an atomic level. I'm more of a hands on equipment type of person, but chemistry has always been fun to watch. The coolest thing about chemistry that I've learned is how we are made up of the same exact elements as they are found in the universe with the exception of a noble gas, but the five most common elements found across the galaxies are the same things we are made of.

That's the main reason why I believe life definitely exists out in the universe. We aren't made of anything special. It appears that the rest of the universe follows the laws of physics like we do and has the same elements. So why wouldn't the same type of processes for life happen across the universe?

I have to pass on this idea of mine regarding the collection of different elements... They make these periodic tables that actually contain small samples of each element. Of course a few of the radioactive ones are missing, but they have a little vial of most elements so you can look at them.

Here's an example.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/494837...ceGESieLlKw6_6hyI6ZFvHxcoz43tFhRoCWrcQAvD_BwE

Thanks Mr. Garner (Gamer). I'll check into the link and site. My interest in physics started in the military. Something you and I have in common. Nuclear Physics in particular and how Atom and Hydrogen bombs work. How can you get so much energy and destruction from something so small? Getting that 'chain reaction' going at just the right time, 1,000,000th of a second. Not sooner or later. How they figure that shit out in 1945 is even more amazing.

Than a Hydrogen bomb. People don't realize you need an Atom bomb to set off a Hydrogen bomb. That's even more complex nuclear physics and the North Koreans don't have it. So, the Hiroshima bomb was 14 kilotons (Uranium 235) and the Ivy Mike Hydrogen bomb, U.S., was 10 megatons. At one point during that chain reaction, every element know to man was temporarily created. Don't ask me how they know that.

Thanks Mr. Garner (Gamer). I'll check into the link and site. My interest in physics started in the military. Something you and I have in common. Nuclear Physics in particular and how Atom and Hydrogen bombs work. How can you get so much energy and destruction from something so small? Getting that 'chain reaction' going at just the right time, 1,000,000th of a second. Not sooner or later. How they figure that shit out in 1945 is even more amazing.

Than a Hydrogen bomb. People don't realize you need an Atom bomb to set off a Hydrogen bomb. That's even more complex nuclear physics and the North Koreans don't have it. So, the Hiroshima bomb was 14 kilotons (Uranium 235) and the Ivy Mike Hydrogen bomb, U.S., was 10 megatons. At one point during that chain reaction, every element know to man was temporarily created. Don't ask me how they know that.

Nuclear weapons are pure insanity to me. The level of destruction such a small device (relatively) can produce is just absurd. They say the bombs on Japan created shadows on the concrete of the people as they stood when it went off.

Everything to do with atoms and electrons/protons/neutrons is just so incredibly difficult to comprehend. The more you learn about it the more you learn that it's nowhere near as simple as the shell model they teach in schools.

My personal opinion is that theoretical physicists are the smartest people on the planet (Astrophysicists second). I've picked up a few different books to try and understand things like quantum theory and it makes me feel so uneducated. I can understand the math, but I don't get the physics for shit.

My favorite lecturer though has to be Richard Feynman. I hang on to everything he says.

My personal opinion is that theoretical physicists are the smartest people on the planet (Astrophysicists second). I've picked up a few different books to try and understand things like quantum theory and it makes me feel so uneducated. I can understand the math, but I don't get the physics for shit.

Hey, thanks for the information on the 'Periodic Table of Elements' collection box. 'Stardust' also has something similar. $800 for most of the elements is a pretty good chunk of money, but that is some really cool stuff, and to think I wasted more money than that on car engines and women, but that is another story. Thankfully I never drank or did drugs. Donkeys and physics these days. Yes, a little baseball size ball of Uranium 235 when converted to energy can cause a huge amount of damage. Had the Nazis taken a different direction, they would have made a successful Atom bomb before the end of WWII. I have U238 sitting on my desk next to the 'Trinitite' from the New Mexico bomb. When you think of the destruction power of one and the results of the other, it is mind boggling. A 5.56 round doesn't even come close.

il_570xN.1135296034_94jp.jpg

My wife is a doctor, MD, and she is really good with the chemistry, biology, and physics stuff. She has the brains in the family. Einstein did most of his experiments and theories in his head. He had no real laboratory to work on. You can pick up on a lot of this stuff for free online. There are free online Nuclear Physics courses from top universities available. Also, degree online programs.

Free Online Nuclear Physics Courses from Top Universities:
Link: http://learningpath.org/articles/Free_Online_Nuclear_Physics_Courses_from_Top_Universities.html

Two undergraduate and two graduate courses in nuclear physics are available for online study through MIT's OpenCourseware:

. Applied Nuclear Physics
. Introduction to Applied Nuclear Physics
. Neutron Science and Reactor Physics
. Introduction to Nuclear & Particle Physics

Complete Guide to an Online Physics Degree - Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral:
Link: https://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/degrees/physics

Some course offerings:

Thermal-Fluid Systems I
Mechanics of Materials
Radiological Engr. Design
Nuclear Reactor Engineering
Nuclear Engineering Seminar
Nuclear Weapons Effects
Instrumentation and Shielding
Advanced Nuclear System Design Project I
Advanced Nuclear System Design Project II
Modern Physics

Also, here is the controversial article printed on 'The Progressive' magazine back in 1979 that the United States Department of Energy attempted to censor but failed.

A good read. Link: http://progressive.org/downloads/2722/download/1179.pdf?cb=c4a7db57c9e999ed5e304327da730ae3

Hey, thanks for the information on the 'Periodic Table of Elements' collection box. 'Stardust' also has something similar. $800 for most of the elements is a pretty good chunk of money, but that is some really cool stuff, and to think I wasted more money than that on car engines and women, but that is another story. Thankfully I never drank or did drugs. Donkeys and physics these days. Yes, a little baseball size ball of Uranium 235 when converted to energy can cause a huge amount of damage. Had the Nazis taken a different direction, they would have made a successful Atom bomb before the end of WWII. I have U238 sitting on my desk next to the 'Trinitite' from the New Mexico bomb. When you think of the destruction power of one and the results of the other, it is mind boggling. A 5.56 round doesn't even come close.

il_570xN.1135296034_94jp.jpg

My wife is a doctor, MD, and she is really good with the chemistry, biology, and physics stuff. She has the brains in the family. Einstein did most of his experiments and theories in his head. He had no real laboratory to work on. You can pick up on a lot of this stuff for free online. There are free online Nuclear Physics courses from top universities available. Also, degree online programs.

Free Online Nuclear Physics Courses from Top Universities:
Link: http://learningpath.org/articles/Free_Online_Nuclear_Physics_Courses_from_Top_Universities.html

Two undergraduate and two graduate courses in nuclear physics are available for online study through MIT's OpenCourseware:

. Applied Nuclear Physics
. Introduction to Applied Nuclear Physics
. Neutron Science and Reactor Physics
. Introduction to Nuclear & Particle Physics

Complete Guide to an Online Physics Degree - Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral:
Link: https://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/degrees/physics

Some course offerings:

Thermal-Fluid Systems I
Mechanics of Materials
Radiological Engr. Design
Nuclear Reactor Engineering
Nuclear Engineering Seminar
Nuclear Weapons Effects
Instrumentation and Shielding
Advanced Nuclear System Design Project I
Advanced Nuclear System Design Project II
Modern Physics

Also, here is the controversial article printed on 'The Progressive' magazine back in 1979 that the United States Department of Energy attempted to censor but failed.

A good read. Link: http://progressive.org/downloads/2722/download/1179.pdf?cb=c4a7db57c9e999ed5e304327da730ae3

Yeah the boxes are a little pricey, but I still think it's just one of the coolest things ever. Chemistry means so much more when you can actually put your eyes on it. And yeah, I've definitely wasted a lot more for a lot less so it's really not that bad when you think about it.

And yeah I love the online MIT courses. Amazing that they offer that.

Update:

Elements – Metals:
. Gold 2.5g (Au 79)
. Uranium 0.3g (U 92)
. Platinum 0.5g (Pt 78)
. Silver 2.5g (Ag 47)
. Copper 1oz (Cu 29)
. Nickel 1oz (Ni 28)
. Titanium 1oz (Ti 22)
. Aluminum 1oz (Al 13)
. Lead 1oz (Pb 82)
. Tin 1oz (Sn 50)
. Zinc 1oz (Zn 30)
. Iron 1oz (Fe 26)

1oz of gold is selling for $1,450 - 2.5g of gold is selling for $135.
76433c7f-fa46-47e7-aedd-deddf9248199_1.bd683eac5c13321ac64266ef06affc03.jpeg

f320b009-0c4e-4d4c-a36f-3b198fae2314_1.f0ff3a283e79131d599eaa445ce549a0.jpeg

Quality thread right here. I actually would purchase a board like the one above.

Quality thread right here.

Getting there my friend. Been busy in the kitchen. Turning my Uranium 238 into Uranium 235 and Plutonium 239. Lots of radiation so I'm wearing my lead suit. :) The microwave is working well. The neighbors are all sick and the dog has died, but the project moves on. I'm way ahead of Iran. Not sure what is holding those guys up. Wish me luck...

Plutonium 239 - Hot off the oven...

Getting there my friend. Been busy in the kitchen. Turning my Uranium 238 into Uranium 235 and Plutonium 239. Lots of radiation so I'm wearing my lead suit. :) The microwave is working well. The neighbors are all sick and the dog has died, but the project moves on. I'm way ahead of Iran. Not sure what is holding those guys up. Wish me luck...

Plutonium 239 - Hot off the oven...
T1yHj4q.gif

Nuclear weapons are pure insanity to me. The level of destruction such a small device (relatively) can produce is just absurd. They say the bombs on Japan created shadows on the concrete of the people as they stood when it went off.

Everything to do with atoms and electrons/protons/neutrons is just so incredibly difficult to comprehend. The more you learn about it the more you learn that it's nowhere near as simple as the shell model they teach in schools.

My favorite lecturer though has to be Richard Feynman. I hang on to everything he says.

Astrophysicists are theoretical physicist. My colleague's adviser was Wheeler who advised Feynman.

Astrophysicists are theoretical physicist. My colleague's adviser was Wheeler who advised Feynman.

While there's some overlap in the disciplines, they are absolutely not the same thing.

Back