PFL 4 averaged a whopping 101k viewers

Pretty big dip but the pace wasn't as fast either. Lotta guys didn't care about the points at this stage.Point system is screwy anyhow.

I'll still be tuning in...

Yeah pretty much what I expected this card didn't have any real name draw and the main and co main were terrible.

It's only going to get worse unfortunately.....

I mean the finals will probly get the highest ratings of the season but I doubt even that breaks 250k.

PFL ratings have yet to even do decent numbers meaning little to no advertisement money they are definitely losing money.None of the shows have been sold out either every event has a good amount of open seats which isn't good considering they lowered some tickets just to 5$ to fill seats.

I've seen the claim that the points system has resulted in more finishes but I don't necessarily believe it's entirely due to the points it's also overall level of competition and matchmaking and some really bad ref stoppages too.

I know they are well invested and expected to lose money to establish the brand the first year but it's not working.People aren't consistently tuning in and I just don't see a way they will make a single cent.

Pretty big dip but the pace wasn't as fast either. Lotta guys didn't care about the points at this stage.Point system is screwy anyhow.

Yeah the points system really doesn't matter other then seeding and realistically that doesn't matter alot either.If you win you advance regardless and having to fight like 6-8 weeks apart guys are coming in beat up after the first round so you see a safer approach and less fucks given about trivial points they just want wins.

Yeah the points system really doesn't matter other then seeding and realistically that doesn't matter alot either.If you win you advance regardless and having to fight like 6-8 weeks apart guys are coming in beat up after the first round so you see a safer approach and less fucks given about trivial points they just want wins.
Josh Copeland won and he's very likely getting eliminated because he didn't get a finish. Having said that, the bonus points would play a much bigger factor if there was just more fighters per division.

Cause PFL is a f'n great concept to be honest, and it's delivering fantastic shows, with fantastic finishes, and some of the best live discussion on this board. But when a division like HW only has 10 fights, and 8 fighters make the playoffs, then you are cutting the idea short, and not allowing for those moments where someone needs a finish or he's eliminated.

Still I think there's a lot of positivity to go around this product. The crowd was generally awesome last night and the facebook feed got higher in Canada than I've ever seen it. If the TV ratings are going to plummet just like every other MMA promotion then fine, whatever, the show doesn't get a season two. But I do commend PFL for trying something new and attempting to tackle a lot of MMA complaints such as...

- matchmaking not being based on results
- fighters fighting too inconsistently
- fighters not motivated to finish
- low fighter pay

So kudos to them. I do like their ideas and I do think they've created a worthwhile product. I look forward to PFL 5.

Last edited:
Josh Copeland won and he's very likely getting eliminated because he didn't get a finish. Having said that, the bonus points would play a much bigger factor if there was just more fighters per division.

Cause PFL is a f'n great concept to be honest, and it's delivering fantastic shows, with fantastic finishes, and some of the best live discussion on this board. But when a division like HW only has 10 fights, and 8 fighters make the playoffs, then you are cutting the idea short, and not allowing for those moments where someone needs a finish or he's eliminated.

Still I think there's a lot of positivity to go around this product. The crowd was generally awesome last night and the facebook feed got higher in Canada than I've ever seen it. If the TV ratings are going to plummet just like every other MMA promotion then fine, whatever, the show doesn't get a season two. But I do commend PFL for trying something new and attempting to tackle a lot of MMA complaints such as...

- low fighter pay
- fighters fighting too inconsistently
- fighters not motivated to finish
- matchmaking not being based on results

So kudos to them. I look forward to PFL 5.

Thing is though the only guys that would be in trouble of not making the semis because of not finishing would be guys who are 1-1 anyone who is undefeated will still get a playoff nod and frankly that's what matters.....winning.Copeland was finished his first fight had he won his first by decision he'd be in no problem.

Fighter pay is definently a positive though until the finals checks are cashed ppl are still very skeptical on the payout.Before it started they were supposed to get weekly pay too but that was changed but it's cool to see mid tier guys getting good pay.

There are more frequent fights but there are positives and negatives to that guys are fighting like every 6-8 weeks giving more chance to pullout from injury and if they make it to a 2nd season all the champs will be sitting out of action until the season is over deciding a #1 contender which is a fatal flaw to the season.....same problem bellator had using the season.

First round we seen lots of finishes but again is that due to points or is it matchmaking/overall quality of fighters?moving forward guys are just looking for wins like that guy said when asked by Bas if he's look for a finish next fight lol.....nah a win gets you in.

The matchmaking has been pretty good except fight like last night where Palmer faced a guy who already lost instead of a guy who won his last fight it made no sense other then to give Palmer an easier path to the playoffs.

It's always been an intriguing format but from the beginning I've had nothing but questions about sustainability and how they would turn a profit.....4 shows in with dipping ratings and I'm still left with more questions then answers.

Thing is though the only guys that would be in trouble of not making the semis because of not finishing would be guys who are 1-1 anyone who is undefeated will still get a playoff nod and frankly that's what matters.....winning.

Fighter pay is definently a positive though until the finals checks are cashed ppl are still very skeptical on the payout.Before it started they were supposed to get weekly pay too but that was changed but it's cool to see mid tier guys getting good pay.

There are more frequent fights but there are positives and negatives to that guys are fighting like every 6-8 weeks giving more chance to pullout from injury and if they make it to a 2nd season all the champs will be sitting out of action until the season is over deciding a #1 contender which is a fatal flaw to the season.....same problem bellator had using the season.

First round we seen lots of finishes but again is that due to points or is it matchmaking/overall quality of fighters?moving forward guys are just looking for wins like that guy said when asked by Bas if he's look for a finish next fight lol.....nah a win gets you in.

The matchmaking has been pretty good except fight like last night where Palmer faced a guy who already lost instead of a guy who won his last fight it made no sense other then to give Palmer an easier path to the playoffs.

It's always been an intriguing format but from the beginning I've had nothing but questions about sustainability and how they would turn a profit.....4 shows in with dipping ratings and I'm still left with more questions then answers.

You have multiple points so I'll number them.

1. Regarding pay: Yes it's awesome to see midcard guys given an opportunity to make a ton of money. Scepticism is understandable, but PFL/WSOF has made good on their word for 7 years, so hopefully that continues.

2. Regarding playoff qualifications: imo anyone who's undefeated SHOULD make the playoffs, as winning should be the most important. The drama can come from 1-1 fighters who need to do something special or else they lose their spot.

3. Regarding pullouts? Fighters are constantly pulling out of fights whether they're fighting on short notice or have 6 month camps. So I much prefer PFL's style of scheduling a tournament based on dates instead of fighters schedules. This way there's no waiting around for perfect scenarios. If a fighter can't keep up, then the guy ranked below him takes his place and chance at a million. It's simple.

4. In terms of the matchmaking: it's fine to have winners and losers paired up in the regular season, cause winners vs. winner have little to gain, especially if they both already clinched their spot with finishes. Plus the best will theoretically meet the best in the playoffs anyway.

Last edited:
I think they should devote more of the talking head air time towards short video intros of each of the participants because I don't know who most of them are or why I should tune in.

they have a decent production and are trying so its a shame. just a timing issue with the market and oversaturation, even hardcore mma fans cant watch like 2 or more events every week, theres too much mma, there are other things to do in life, mma is competing within itself at this point for the hardcore viewers

they have a decent production and are trying so its a shame. just a timing issue with the market and oversaturation, even hardcore mma fans cant watch like 2 or more events every week, theres too much mma, there are other things to do in life, mma is competing within itself at this point for the hardcore viewers
I agree and it is still summer

How exactly is the points system screwy? It's done in the most popular sport in the world, Football (soccer). It's a tie breaker formula in other sports as well, like American football, head to head, record, and eventually points

How exactly is the points system screwy?

This

Add in odd rulings and fouls, letting fighters max and advance. Just seems a bit too flawed.

I didn't even pay attention to one segment on scoring or seeding.

An additional reason seeding matters, is that the higher up you are, the higher priority you become in replacing injured fighters.

Another big issue is their advertising. I didn’t even know PFL existed until I stumbled upon it by accident the night of the Shields fight. Like Bellator, they need to let hardcore mma fans and casuals alike know that there is a new and exciting MMA league in town.

Another big issue is their advertising. I didn’t even know PFL existed until I stumbled upon it by accident the night of the Shields fight. Like Bellator, they need to let hardcore mma fans and casuals alike know that there is a new and exciting MMA league in town.

I'm curious to know, how do you know about UFC fights?

I’ve literally been watching since UFC 1 when it was called NHB fighting. But, I also regularly see commercials for upcoming UFC events on tv, ads online, etc.

This

Add in odd rulings and fouls, letting fighters max and advance. Just seems a bit too flawed.

I didn't even pay attention to one segment on scoring or seeding.
But the fighters are paying attention to the points system, so now Lance Palmer and Andrew Harrison would meet in the semi-finals because of the points system and Steven Siler will avoid having to face either of them until the finals because the points system put him in a advantageous position. Ignore the points system all you want to, but it's a big difference maker.

it has more to do with the nbcsn channel than the product it self they put on some good cards.

Back