PFL 4: July 19th in NY - FW's & HW's Part 2 - Palmer vs. Tuerxun headliner

Danespina

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
FULL CARD:
FW: Lance Palmer (5 points) vs. Juma Tuerxun (0 points)
FW: Andre Harrison (3 points) vs. Nazareno Malegarie (3 points)
HW: Francimar Barroso (6 points) vs. Jack May (6 points)
FW: Alexandre Almeida (6 points) vs. Steven Siler (6 points)
HW: Alex Nicholson (5 points) vs. Philipe Lins (3 points)
HW: Jared Rosholt (3 points) vs. Kelvin Tiller (6 points)
FW: Bekbulat Magomedov (0 points) vs. Carl Deaton (0 points) *NEW
FW: Max Coga (0 points) vs. Marcos Galvao (0 points)
FW: Timur Valiev (3 points) vs. Darrick Minner (0 points) *NEW
HW: Josh Copeland (0 points) vs. Shawn Jordan (0 points)
HW: Daniel Gallemore (0 points) vs. Valdrin Istrefi (0 points) *NEW

MIA
- HW: Jake Heun (0 points)
- HW: Caio Alencar (0 points)
- FW: Magomed Idrisov (0 points)
- FW: Lee Coville (0 points)

Last edited:
Malegarie is just facing the best of the best, I'm rooting for him of course but Andre is probably the favourite to win the whole thing, still i'm sure that Malegarie has all the tools to get the W

Malegarie is just facing the best of the best, I'm rooting for him of course but Andre is probably the favourite to win the whole thing, still i'm sure that Malegarie has all the tools to get the W

If Harrison loses to Malegarie he isn't guaranteed to move on to the playoffs.

That's a great bout btw.

Last edited:
MIA
- HW: Valdrin Istrefi (0 points)
- HW: Jake Heun (0 points)
- HW: Daniel Gallemore (0 points)
- HW: Caio Alencar (0 points)

The weaknesses of the format reveal themselves.

I guess they couldn't get those heavyweights cleared from their last fights. Were there 12 fighters per division? It appears there are only 8 heavyweights remaining ready to be booked. I guess they will schedule those HWs at a later show, but everybody heals at a different rate.

Tuerux better not main event another show. There is no reasoning behind the second fight matchups. It is not like there is seeding or a random draw. Tuerux went from facing the best fighter in Harrison to being booked against the second best in Palmer. I understand it is done this way to move the bigger names through the tournament. Are Palmer or Harrison really drawing that much more on average. Moraes and Gaj were barely moving the rating when compared to the normal headliners.

Possible Fix: At the beginning of the season each fighter should have be ranked 1-12. After the first round of fights, there would be an opponent selection draft with two factors for the second match.
1) Level of opponent win in the first fight
2) Fastest finish

A combination of these two would lead to determining the order of fighters picking opponents. You also wouldn't be able to pick the opponent you just fought.

The weaknesses of the format reveal themselves.

I guess they couldn't get those heavyweights cleared from their last fights. Were there 12 fighters per division? It appears there are only 8 heavyweights remaining ready to be booked. I guess they will schedule those HWs at a later show, but everybody heals at a different rate.
Weakness of every tournament, but tournaments are still great nonetheless.

But yes, they can just book the missing HW's at a later show.

Bs main event

Why is Palmer facing this guy

Only 10 fights?

What’s the deal with the other 4 hw’s

people think malegarie has a chance against harrison? wtf? harrison should be -1000 here easily. palmer/teurxun is also a joke fight.

magomedov/idrisov, siler/almeida, and galvao/coga are solid matchups at 145. coga looked awesome against valiev.

hw matchups aren't too bad.

Yep tourney format coupled with season problems like injurys are only going to get worse with more fights and more damage to participants.

Last time heavys got jumbled around cuz some missed weight now some just aren't cleared to fight after being ktfo.Who is the genius who doesn't realize being knocked out at minimum is like 6 month mandatory time off.They obviously didn't think about that.

Also they've had some really boring fights aired instead of showing the fights that ended in finishes o think they could sift through the fights and put better lineups together for fans watching on tv.

Let's see if ratings stay around 150,000 or IF they tumble further.

I will Assume that the 4 other HW’s are not medically cleared or injured??

Are they bringing alternates late in the season?

Do this guys have a 0 in this event (for not participating)and will be automatically eliminated?

I will Assume that the 4 other HW’s are not medically cleared or injured??

Are they bringing alternates late in the season?

Do this guys have a 0 in this event (for not participating)and will be automatically eliminated?

Good questions bro

They've never said they have alternates at all so probably not.They most likely hoped guys would atleast make it through the initial season and guys who didnt qualify for post season would be alternates.I don't think they even thought about injury or stuff so early which I think is crazy.Especially Mw up there are higher chance for brutal knockouts and guys having to fight so many times in a short span is not going to pan out......its barely past the first round of hws and the scoring system is making for some odd standings.

Good questions bro

They've never said they have alternates at all so probably not.They most likely hoped guys would atleast make it through the initial season and guys who didnt qualify for post season would be alternates.I don't think they even thought about injury or stuff so early which I think is crazy.Especially Mw up there are higher chance for brutal knockouts and guys having to fight so many times in a short span is not going to pan out......its barely past the first round of hws and the scoring system is making for some odd standings.
There's really no major issue here, because at the end of the regular season you're still going to have guys ranked 1-8, and those 8 will make the playoffs. If anyone in that top 8 can't make the playoffs, then they have a detailed series of rules in place regarding alternates.

On top of that, the regular season consists of 7 cards when in reality it only needs 6. That 7th card gives MIA fighters an extra opportunity to fulfill their second regular season fight, or for PFL to bring in extra fighters if need be.

Last edited:
Still no word on possible replacements!!! 2 weeks away

sadly, that's the problem with tournaments. Hard to keep them together. That's why all tournaments should be one night tournaments ;)

I don't think there will be any. They might fight afterwards but not expecting them on PFL 4.

Also, there are 4 more events. This one in July and then 3 in August. so time to work them in if they are not on the next show.

Also, there are 4 more events. This one in July and then 3 in August. so time to work them in if they are not on the next show.
Yes, as mentioned above, PFL curiously has 7 regular season cards instead of the needed 6. So there's a freebie event on August 30th where they can throw anything extra can on it or tie up loose ends.

Last edited:
sadly, that's the problem with tournaments. Hard to keep them together. That's why all tournaments should be one night tournaments ;)
It's not vital to the PFL format that everyone fights during the regular season as scheduled.

If someones too injured then it's as simple as they lose their opportunity to gain points and someone else might climb over them.

At the end of August PFL just needs 8 to make the playoffs, and they'll have that.

Back