Philosophical BJJ question

Seriously, it is interesting to think about, but I think you would be better off going to the gym and training as opposed to looking to improve your Jiu Jitsu through the study of astrophysics. In all seriousness, guys like Bravo, Marcelo Garcia, and the Mendes brothers probably have an analytic approach to their Jiu Jitsu, but it has nothing to do with Astrophysics, weightlessness, and zero gravity. I think you are over thinking things.
I consider this mental training in preparation for the space-wars to come! When my blaster gun goes spinning away into the cosmos I better know instinctively that a RNC will work, a chest kick will send me hurtling through space, and an Omoplata will just have us spinning around foolishly.

I would concentrate on chokes, if you don't have leverage, you can't do an armbar, pull a kimura, do an omoplata without flattening the other guy. It's like trying stuff in the guard, very few submissions work if you don't have control of your hips and balance. Even guillotines wouldn't work without using your legs to torque.

Triangles, RNC, gi chokes like bow and arrow and loop chokes should work.

BTW I don't think it's philosophical but a matter of physics.

This is from wikipedia
upload_2017-12-21_8-22-14.png

In zero gravity, BJJ would look very different. Mostly because there'd be no advantage to being 'on top', as you wouldn't have gravity on your side to increase your pressure. BJJ would become much more about submitting positions wherein you don't rely on top pressure or the ability to move on the mat (e.g. hip out), things like the back, leg attacks, and front headlocks.

Fighting in space is actually kind of a fascinating thought experiment because so much of what we rely on in fighting is gravity and, when you're talking striking, friction with the canvas neither of which you had in space. What would striking look like when you couldn't push off the floor for weight transfer or rotation, and when you hit someone you couldn't brace against the counterforce from the blow? I tend to think it would be almost useless other than dirty boxing style strikes where you have a grip and use that to pull him into the strike.

And yes, I do drugs.

Important question here...
What drugs do you do?

Ergo belts mean nothing in zero gravity

If outside the eaths gravitational zone, top and bottom position are decided by who has their back to the sun (or nearest star), on a technicality.

I suppose it could get interesting if they were in a confined space with rigid walls and ceilings. At least then you'd be able to intermittently launch yourself off them to attack.
zero g cube matches FTW

I've been thinking about this since reading Ender's Game as a kid.

I’ve jokingly played some situational grappling games in the pool with family. Similar concept. Not only do you not have gravity. But no floor. Guard was a mount but could lean back and go for legs. Was definitely different but you simply bridge familiar techniques in unfamiliar ways.

HERE;S one for ya: If THIS guy got back mount, would be not get points for not having BOTH his hooks in?????

I’ve jokingly played some situational grappling games in the pool with family. Similar concept. Not only do you not have gravity. But no floor. Guard was a mount but could lean back and go for legs. Was definitely different but you simply bridge familiar techniques in unfamiliar ways.
I've always wanted to do that but my ling capacity is pitiful. I'll give you 20 seconds before I'm thrashing around in panic

Back