Pick the best 6 out of 10 Star Wars movies! Please select 6!!

Choose the best 6 - use all votes for accurate results! At best eliminate the worst 4 !!!

• Total voters
The force awakens was much much worse than last Jedi.

Hate Rian Johnson all you want, but at least he tried to make his own movie instead of just copying everything from a new hope.

Is it really trying to do your own thing if you copy almost everything from the previous movies and then just do the opposite at the last second?

Battle in the trenches of a snow planet... Nope, it's salt!
Rey has a Force cave vision of her origins to show her parentage... Nope, it's just her!
The Vader character kills the Emperor character to save the Luke character and... Nope, he's still a bad guy!

Given the choice between the two, I prefer a rehash that respects and admires what it is rehashing, over a rehash that seems disgusted with the source material it is standing upon.

Is it really trying to do your own thing if you copy almost everything from the previous movies and then just do the opposite at the last second?

Battle in the trenches of a snow planet... Nope, it's salt!
Rey has a Force cave vision of her origins to show her parentage... Nope, it's just her!
The Vader character kills the Emperor character to save the Luke character and... Nope, he's still a bad guy!

Given the choice between the two, I prefer a rehash that respects and admires what it is rehashing, over a rehash that seems disgusted with the source material it is standing upon.

Exactly! Whoever made this movie must clearly hate star wars

Hey yo @Clippy I'm getting a bit sick of you hating on Rogue One

I wanted to like that movie, but it just failed on too many levels. The best parts (the Vader stuff) actually had nothing to do with the throughline of the movie itself.

I liked CGI Tarkin, unlike many.

But the movie failed miserably in character development. The Forest Whitaker character made no sense at all in the final cut, and the best new character in the film was actually Ben Mendelsohn's ineffectual 3rd tier villain.

I wanted to like that movie, but it just failed on too many levels. The best parts (the Vader stuff) actually had nothing to do with the throughline of the movie itself.

I liked CGI Tarkin, unlike many.

But the movie failed miserably in character development. The Forest Whitaker character made no sense at all in the final cut, and the best new character in the film was actually Ben Mendelsohn's ineffectual 3rd tier villain.
I see the film as a different animal. Its not trying to be an epic saga in the vein of the original trilogy (or the prequel trilogy, or the new shit). It's designed as a set piece , almost stand alone, with a story to tell, and that story to me is critical - the basic nature of the rebellion.

From the original trilogy, I never quite reconciled the idea of the rebellion and how it was presented. Scenes like the victory ceremony on yavin 4 and the idea the leading family of the rebellion being rich aristocrats from alderean didn't quite gel with the desperation I'd expect from a rebellion against the empire. It improved with the opening scene of empire strikes back, but not quite enough to establish the tone for a real desperate battle for survival.
Thats where rogue one did well for me.
It showed a rebellion constantly on the verge of failure, battling desparately with a few key individuals keeping the hope alive by the skin of their teeth, event after event. Had a real desparate vibe the newest films totally failed on.
And i liked how they showed the internal battles of the key rebel players and the shit they had to do and their internal struggles reconciling their actions with their supposed noble purpose. They weren't all heroes or cliches like Han solo.
It presented all this in a very basic and not-subtle way, but whatever, it was only a 2hr movie aimed at kids and adults.
It really reminded me of the tone of the Ernest Hemingway novel For Whom the Bell Tolls which is probably a big personal factor for me liking the film as well. As I love that book.

I see the film as a different animal. Its not trying to be an epic saga in the vein of the original trilogy (or the prequel trilogy, or the new shit). It's designed as a set piece , almost stand alone, with a story to tell, and that story to me is critical - the basic nature of the rebellion.

From the original trilogy, I never quite reconciled the idea of the rebellion and how it was presented. Scenes like the victory ceremony on yavin 4 and the idea the leading family of the rebellion being rich aristocrats from alderean didn't quite gel with the desperation I'd expect from a rebellion against the empire. It improved with the opening scene of empire strikes back, but not quite enough to establish the tone for a real desperate battle for survival.
Thats where rogue one did well for me.
It showed a rebellion constantly on the verge of failure, battling desparately with a few key individuals keeping the hope alive by the skin of their teeth, event after event. Had a real desparate vibe the newest films totally failed on.
And i liked how they showed the internal battles of the key rebel players and the shit they had to do and their internal struggles reconciling their actions with their supposed noble purpose. They weren't all heroes or cliches like Han solo.
It presented all this in a very basic and not-subtle way, but whatever, it was only a 2hr movie aimed at kids and adults.
It really reminded me of the tone of the Ernest Hemingway novel For Whom the Bell Tolls which is probably a big personal factor for me liking the film as well. As I love that book.

I feel like the points you are making are valid, but that Rogue One only achieved them with around 50% effectiveness. Kassian Andor, or whatever his name was, had that one character / necessary evil moment early on, but then was a non-character the rest of the way. When he and Jyn Urso (or whatever her name was) were hugging on the beach at the very end, I felt like we had skipped all the bonding that would have justified that as a dramatic / tragic moment by the time it rolled around.

I compare it to something like Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro clasping hands at the end of Heat, and how emotional that moment was in Heat. And Pacino and DeNiro weren't even on the same team, and only had one conversation in the whole movie.

The only death that impacted me at all was the droid.

I agree that the movie did illustrate some of the "desperate everyman" aspect that should characterize the rebellion, but there are few things more important to me in a film than having characters that are sympathetic and resonant, or, at the very least, interesting.

Last edited:
I only voted 3 times because there are only 3 star wars movies.

There are only really 4 good Starwars films in the originals and Rogue One, Solo is decent but unremarkable and all the others are deeply flawed albeit often with decent elements in them.

Hate Rian Johnson all you want, but at least he tried to make his own movie instead of just copying everything from a new hope.

Johnson definitely aimed far higher and he does have some good stuff in his film with the Rey/Kylo plot but equally I think a lot of it went wide of the mark and indeed his own ambition probably means the judgement is harsher than Abrams deeply medicore film.

I feel like the points you are making are valid, but that Rogue One only achieved them with around 50% effectiveness. Kassian Andor, or whatever his name was, had that one character / necessary evil moment early on, but then was a non-character the rest of the way. When he and Jyn Urso (or whatever her name was) were hugging on the beach at the very end, I felt like we had skipped all the bonding that would have justified that as a dramatic / tragic moment by the time it rolled around.

I compare it to something like Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro clasping hands at the end of Heat, and how emotional that moment was in Heat. And Pacino and DeNiro weren't even on the same team, and only had one conversation in the whole movie.

The only death that impacted me at all was the droid.

I agree that the movie did illustrate some of the "desperate everyman" aspect that should characterize the rebellion, but there are few things more important to me in a film than having characters that are sympathetic and resonant, or, at the very least, interesting.

Honestly I think the problem for a lot of people is that they've become more keyed into the Marvel/Abrams style of broader characterisation, Rogue One for me is much more akin to the original Starwars films(especially ESB) which were much less cartoonish and had half a foot in the new wave. Maybe it was pushing things a bit more subtly but still I think the weight is there similar to say Fury Road.

Granted I don't think it had a character as memorable as Han Solo in it but it certainly wasn't lacking in characterisation for me. Just lacking in the attachment of having been viewed dozens of times since childhood.

Last edited:
the last jedi is in dead last lmaooo

BJ600lt.gif

the last jedi is in dead last lmaooo

BJ600lt.gif

Surprised the hatred for Solo film

I mean it was pointless but it wasn't universe destroying and didn't crap all over the lore

Surprised the hatred for Solo film

I mean it was pointless but it wasn't universe destroying and didn't crap all over the lore
I didn't dislike Solo but I found it slightly boring. If I could have an extra pick I would have included it. I wasn't exactly hyped about a Solo movie to begin with tbh.

I didn't dislike Solo but I found it slightly boring. If I could have an extra pick I would have included it. I wasn't exactly hyped about a Solo movie to begin with tbh.

I'm just saying it wasn't close to as bad Last Jedi, Last Jedi full on ruined characters and did not respect the movies that came before it all

Solo was pointless but harmless

Surprised it's only one click above last jedi

I'm just saying it wasn't close to as bad Last Jedi, Last Jedi full on ruined characters and did not respect the movies that came before it all

Solo was pointless but harmless

Surprised it's only one click above last jedi

I think the problem is nobody actually bothered to see Solo movie LOL

That's what it is

Original trilogy with it ranked ESB, A New Hope, then ROTJ. Then Rogue one for being an exciting movie with the Spirit of the originals. Clone Wars wasn’t bad in that it had some great action scenes and took us to different Worlds that were cool. Take away Hayden’s wooden acting and the love bs and that’s a good flick. Revenge of the Sith is on here because it’s bettr than the rest.
I can’t stand hipster ugly Adam Driver, so the new ones are tough for me.

How in the fuck is the phantom menace so low?

It has Darth maul and qui-gon, two of the best characters in star wars history.

It also had the best light saber fight scene, and the best song too in duel of the fates.

That movie was epic. It's not perfect, jar jar was dumb and all, but it's one of the better star wars movies.
Oddly enough the maul fights were good. Had good martial arts and no super amounts of pointless flipping

I only really liked the original trilogy. Revenge of the Sith seemed pretty good when I watched it in the cinema, but I've never wanted to watch it again. 1+2 had a few decent moments but were mostly crap.

I do think Sith benefited rather from the low standards of the previous two prequels, it had the benefit of the plot we actually wanted to see in the first place and Ian Mcdiarmid actually giving the only good performance in the prequels plus the typical odd interesting action scene/design but also a lot of question stuff like the pointless Grevious plot and again rather weak acting from Hayden(that "my new empire" scene is fucking aweful) and indeed undercooked motivation for Anakin.

Oddly enough the maul fights were good. Had good martial arts and no super amounts of pointless flipping

Indeed, there was a directness and toughness to those fights that I think worked fine with established Starwars lightsaber duels yet I spose there being the main thing people praised in the film ment the style got carried over to less effect in the other prequels. I did like the Obi Wan/Jango fight in Clones I spose but besides that it was either too flowery or just drowned in CGI.

I will say it was more original than Force awakens, but Last Jedi had it's problems. First off the storyline looks like someone did some brainstorming on napkins at a Starbucks and they studio just said "make a movies out of these", shit was all over the place and the way major characters from the original franchise were just dismissed was sad. Luke's return should have been something really special, instead it was used a vehicle to show how great Rey was. The person with no training in the force at all, no real experience so to make her more relevant they do it at Luke's expense, then just have Luke vanish after a spectral projection. Christ, the last time I saw such an exploitative use of the Luke character was when Hamill did "guys and dolls" when Homer was the mayor's bodyguard at the comicon.
upload_2018-7-16_10-37-1.jpeg
The new characters again have no real development, other than feeding off the husks of the old characters. Then the build up for the story climax was just dumb, Snokes- that was a big build up to nothing, the chrome stormtrooper- little build up to nothing. Whatsherface with the purple hair, what purpose did she serve other than to berate and belittle Po? Also what was up with those dumbass bombers? Luke took out a Deathstar with an X-wing, Lando took out a Deathstar with the Millennium falcon, but the rest of the schlubs need a bunch of defenseless floating towers with "bombs" to destroy an oversized star destroyer? They served no purpose except as a vehicle to show Po as "reckless and impetuous" so he could be berated by the women in the story.
Also, at what point did Benicio Del Toro's character even know the rebels were going to go to the abandoned base? He left for his "big break in/hack" mission before that plan had ever been discussed or revealed, yet he knew for the convenient betrayal.
Quite honestly I waited until the movie came out on Netflix and I'm glad I didn't pay any money to see it. I'll do the same for Solo, whether it be a free weekend on HBO, Netflix or whatever.

Back