Places To Train In Buffalo,NY Area?

AmericanCharm

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I live in the around the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area (within 20 min) and I was wondering if any of you guys know of any good places to train. We have an abundance of Tae Kwon Do and Kenpo McDojos. I don’t know which places are legit or not. I know some particular ones but there are many. We lack good MMA gyms.

I was training at a well respected boxing gym called Casals which was a good place but it was a bit of a drive and it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for in terms of getting proper training in. It was a lot of rounds on bags. Not a lot of technique work. I boxed there for a good while, over a year. I also wrestled in school for two seasons and trained No Gi Jiu Jitsu at a MMA gym called WNY MMA for a good bit which I didn’t like at all. It just wasn’t a good place. So I was wondering if any of you guys had any recommendations for good legit places whether it be Boxing, MMA, Tradional Arts and so on in the area. I’m just a young guy looking for a place to expand my knowledge as best I can and get some good training in.

Ray Casal is a great guy. I trained with him for years in the late 90's.

Ray Casal is a great guy. I trained with him for years in the late 90's.

Ray is a good guy yeah. I trained there for a good while. I think nowadays though he is more interested in running classes for workout purposes and focuses and hand full of his fighters.
You can tell me if his style differed back then compared to now but his classes consist of about 20 rounds and 10 of those rounds minimum are rounds on various bags. Sometimes more. Then he does a round of mitts and then after mitts you do some body sparring in the other side of the ring. With the rest of the rounds you partner up and you have options to do things like sledge hammer and tire, tire push backs, ropes, jump rope, sit ups, medicine ball work, sled push, or more body sparring.

So it gets you in shape and is very good for cardio. But there are plenty of people at the gym who don’t even know how to throw a proper punch after being there for over a year because technique isn’t focaused. It’s almost up to the individual to find another experienced boxer in the gym to partner up with and get some pointers.

Back