Planning on moving to philly from new jersey

I grew up in jersey and live in PA now. I worked in center city Philly for 5 years and actually lived there briefly as well.

Philly is a really cool city. It's not nearly as dangerous as it used to be. A lot of neighborhoods that you didn't used to want to be in after dark have been developed with new restaurants and modern apartments.

What areas in philly are you looking at? My favorite neighborhood by far is the fishtown / kensington area. Lots of really cool little music venues, bars/clubs, shops, restaurants, art galleries, etc.

There are some really good mma gyms in philly too. I trained at Daddis MMA the whole time I worked down there and loved it. Daddis, Balance and the new Renzo Gracie Academy are probably the best ones in the city. One of my coaches at Daddis just started his own place last year as well. North Star MMA.

Ok well that answers 2 of my questions, should i look into north philly? This is going to be my first time living alone.

Thats why i'll get a firearms license too and a hand gun license.

You need a PA LTCF (License To Carry Firearms) if you want to carry openly or concealed in philly. No license if you only want to purchase a firearm. No distinction between hand gun and long gun as far as licenses are concerned.

Anywhere in PA other than Philly and you don't even need a license to open carry. You can walk into a gun store, buy an AR15, sling it over your shoulder and walk out the door.

Since you're from NJ, I assume you don't have much experience with firearms. If you're serious about carrying, please practice regularly, and please do as much research as you can on self-defense laws. It is an enormous responsibility and I think too many people take it lightly.

Ok i'm just going to ignore both of your comments because their really irrelevant, and i don't know if you guys know this but i finished high school 3 years ago and don't need to feel like i'm in school again.

Well, you obviously didn't learn how to spell they're while you were there.

Yeah, that isn’t the point. He specifically said that he wanted to move to Pennsylvania for that reason, implying that where he currently lives does not.

Part of the reason I moved from NJ to PA also had to do with self defense laws. I don't like states that don't trust their citizens with their own self defense. Especially states that allow or deny rights for subjective or arbitrary reasons.

And i'm sick of living with my parents, who constantly try to take away my free will so theirs that too, and self defense law is a must for me because i don't want to go to jail for defending myself its just not fair.

The fact that your life revolves around an imperative need for self defense laws (because apparently you constantly beat people into comas) implies to me that you must be a great human being. You'll fit right in in the crime-ridden cesspool that is Philly.

You need a PA LTCF (License To Carry Firearms) if you want to carry openly or concealed in philly. No license if you only want to purchase a firearm. No distinction between hand gun and long gun as far as licenses are concerned.

Anywhere in PA other than Philly and you don't even need a license to open carry. You can walk into a gun store, buy an AR15, sling it over your shoulder and walk out the door.

Since you're from NJ, I assume you don't have much experience with firearms. If you're serious about carrying, please practice regularly, and please do as much research as you can on self-defense laws. It is an enormous responsibility and I think too many people take it lightly.

Thats the plan, i'll practice i just hope no racist bastards try not to sell me a gun because i'm pakistani. Or anybody think i'm going to kill someone with a gun. Which parts of philly do you recomend?

The fact that your life revolves around an imperative need for self defense laws (because apparently you constantly beat people into comas) implies to me that you must be a great human being. You'll fit right in in the crime-ridden cesspool that is Philly.

Wow that is the best exaggerated assumption i have ever heard, my god you should be a phsycologist.

Thats the plan, i'll practice i just hope no racist bastards try not to sell me a gun because i'm pakistani. Or anybody think i'm going to kill someone with a gun. Which parts of philly do you recomend?

Already answered that.

My favorite parts of philly are fishtown/kensington and I listed my reasons why. That's just me though, not sure what you're into yourself. You're in Cherry Hill. You're close. Take a weekend to explore the city and get to know some of the neighborhoods. See what areas feel right to you.

Don't know much about north philly but there are some cool neighborhoods in south philly that are up and coming where you can still find extremely reasonable real estate/apartment prices. You can make some money if you do it right. A friend of mine bought her house in fishtown when that neighborhood was still kind of shady (about 7 years ago) for like $90K and she's had people offer her over twice what she paid for it.

EDIT: Oops nevermind. You're in short hills, not cherry hill. Still close enough to visit the city and get to know the neighborhoods a bit though.

I'm not sure but I'm sure they are out there. I'm sure you're a tough cause you train but they'll just straight up shoot,stab, or curb stomp you out there with like ten other guys. I met a white guy who lived there and he said he legally shot 3 people in phili who were trying to rob/kill him.

Don't bring MMA training to a gun fight!

Somebody hasn't watched Parking Wars. Philly is pretty strict on parking. Garfield retired but I'm sure they still have plenty of people ticketing and towing.

Already answered that.

My favorite parts of philly are fishtown/kensington and I listed my reasons why. That's just me though, not sure what you're into yourself. You're in Cherry Hill. You're close. Take a weekend to explore the city and get to know some of the neighborhoods. See what areas feel right to you.

Don't know much about north philly but there are some cool neighborhoods in south philly that are up and coming where you can still find extremely reasonable real estate/apartment prices. You can make some money if you do it right. A friend of mine bought her house in fishtown when that neighborhood was still kind of shady (about 7 years ago) for like $90K and she's had people offer her over twice what she paid for it.

EDIT: Oops nevermind. You're in short hills, not cherry hill. Still close enough to visit the city and get to know the neighborhoods a bit though.

I'm not in cherry hill lol im in short hills which is more up north jersey.

Don't bring MMA training to a gun fight!

Somebody hasn't watched Parking Wars. Philly is pretty strict on parking. Garfield retired but I'm sure they still have plenty of people ticketing and towing.

No, but it would help me in hand to hand combat.

philly reminds me of oakland, ca. some nice areas, but many areas are pretty dangerous. if given the choice, philly wouldn't be on the top of my list, that's for sure.

philly reminds me of oakland, ca. some nice areas, but many areas are pretty dangerous. if given the choice, philly wouldn't be on the top of my list, that's for sure.

Yeah i heard its really bad but people on here are saying it got better, i'm going to have to look into apartments later this year, not now, because by the time its 2019 the apartments might be taken so better to look in like nov or december i guess.

I thought he wanted to go there because there is no civil service exam to become a police officer, meaning that he's threatened by the prospect of needing to pass the test? That's what I derived from it, at least.

If proper use of the there, their and they're are part of the exam his concerns are justified.

Alright well i'm going to go to philly tomorrow or sunday, and check out the area, i'll see which parts have a few pakistani's and ask some of the neighborhood how they like it living their and if it would be good for me to live in the neighborhood, i'll look at north philly first and then go from their.

And yes i know philly isn't really a good place to live,

I loved my ten years there. Great town for live music.

Fyi, if you live just outside the city (like Upper Darby or somewhere) and don't work in the city limits you don't have to pay the city wage tax (which is higher than the state income tax).

Back