Platinum Perry is the future "Donald Cerrone"

I see him having a career similar to Melvin Guillard.

It's so strange to hear people being so sure that someone who is as young as Plat will never evolve past what they see now. He made a major change from brawler to more of a technitian in the Jouban fight. He took it too far & didn't pull the trigger enough... but that was a lesson learned and a part of his transformation. He's only gotten better since. Ponzi threw 43 strikes to Plats head in the 1st round & only landed one. That's pretty significant. That shows evolution.

It wasn't that long ago that Plat still had his day job at UFC gym. Now he's training full time & it's easy to see if you're paying attention that he's improving. He talks about how seriously he takes his evolution in his interviews... & he recognized a good coach now that he's bringing on permanently. The dude is doing all the right thingz.

It's so strange to hear y'all being so confident that the 26 year old's whole career is set in stone when he's clearly evolving & really just getting started good now that he's training full time.
let's just say this: if he improves the way Matt Brown did, i'd be very surprised.

Matt Brown had tenacity and grit. he moved to Thailand to learn craft. he lost mass to become a lean machine. he spent years improving thing he wasn't naturally good at. and he cracked the top 10 for a year or two.

Perry could do all that. we've seen little evidence he would. and i would love to be proven wrong by him.

He is a gatekeeper. He never won the title. Whoever wins against him deserves a place at the very least in the top 5-7 of the division.
Do you not feel there is a term for someone between gatekeeper and champion? Contender/Perenial Contender maybe...

I don't see Perry reaching that level. Cerrone has much superior all around technique. Perry is more of a strong guy with a good chin.

It's so strange to hear people being so sure that someone who is as young as Plat will never evolve past what they see now. He made a major change from brawler to more of a technitian in the Jouban fight. He took it too far & didn't pull the trigger enough... but that was a lesson learned and a part of his transformation. He's only gotten better since. Ponzi threw 43 strikes to Plats head in the 1st round & only landed one. That's pretty significant. That shows evolution.

It wasn't that long ago that Plat still had his day job at UFC gym. Now he's training full time & it's easy to see if you're paying attention that he's improving. He talks about how seriously he takes his evolution in his interviews... & he recognized a good coach now that he's bringing on permanently. The dude is doing all the right thingz.

It's so strange to hear y'all being so confident that the 26 year old's whole career is set in stone when he's clearly evolving & really just getting started good now that he's training full time.
He's older than Holloway and doesn't seem to be evolving at all.

I see him winning his average fights but losing those important matches that will come like Cerone would, and remain a rock of a gatekeeper in the WW division. And he will be a main event draw like Cerrone is today because of his fight style.
Dude trains with Jacare though and loves travelling to other places to train so maybe he could get a title fight and break this persona that I have of him

Cerrone has fought for a title multiple times. Perry will never get as high as Cerrone

He's older than Holloway and doesn't seem to be evolving at all.
Definitely great for Halloway to be doing so well. I would expect the extent of their background is different though. It's not like a certain age group defines the level we're at. I brought up his age to say that he's young & changing. He's got a long wayz to go for people to be counting him out just yet. He just quit his day job not long ago you know. If you were talking about a 40 year old for example... then, okay... we can talk about he'll never change... but a 26 year old who's fairly new to this level of competition?

If you can't see the difference between the brawler that first showed up at the UFC compared to the way more calculated fighter that he is now, then I'd have to ask that you take another look. The Jouban fight was where he made the transition. It's night & day watching him vs Danny Roberts & then to watch him against Jouban. He went overly technical in Jouban... & then learned that lesson & is now finding a nice mix between brawler & striker. He's still working it out.

Ponzi missed 42 out of 43 head strikes in the 1st. No way the old Plat could've done that. The old Plat would take a punch to give a punch. His evolution is very obvious.

Mike Perry already represents a de-evolution not only of MMA, but of humanity.
Actually, he's evolving as a person too. His latest interview with MMA hour this Monday was him opening up like I've never seen any fighter do in an interview ever. He was very sincere about his life & the path he took & how he wants to be a better person.

You probably are more interested in shitting on him than to take a listen for yourself... but I would think a "Rational Poster" would want to know the truth about things instead of continually spamming old news.

Cerrone might not be the best example - he's a bit higher level of a fighter and is always close to the top of title contention, has amazing combos and technical striking.

Perry is closest to Chris Leben - again maybe not quite as high level as that but it might be a better comparison. Wild aggressive fighting style, very dependent on absorbing and giving damage, crazy personality.

Yeah, I could see Perry having a similar career... if his chin holds up. A big part of what made Leben successful was that iron jaw. Leben also had a pretty underrated ground game that we haven't seen out of Perry.

Perry will never get a title shot nor close enough to get a title shot. The dude has been losing go top 15 fighters.

Don’t compare him to a stud like Cowboy who has been putting on great performances for us for years.

Back