Playerunknowns Battlegrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so is it worth getting? - im moving away from MMO's after a 12 year lock in WoW, time to go back to shooters. I used to play MOHAA on competitive ladders and played for the UK. So i do tend to go full nerd once i enjoy it.

Im getting mixed reports from friends about Hacking. Some say its plagued with chinese hackers and just hackers in general. Others have told me theres some cheats but its very rare.

How does Pubg fair up skill wise with games like MOHAA & CS:GO ?
Hacking varies. I can go days without seeing any, or I can run into three in a night.

A lot of this depends on rank, play mode, and playstyle. Hackers seem to be likely to aggressively drop hotspots, they're (slightly) more common in tpp, and they're more common at the top 1000. (There's rough mmr: when I hit top .1% last season I started to encounter several top 1000 players per round; they were somewhat more likely to be cheating. Maybe 20%+ of my games at that level, from ~5% before). I think cheating is higher than that, but that's how frequently I see them in replays or deathcam in my games.

Skill:
Good players will do much better than bad players, especially over the course of multiple game. So skill makes a big difference, and a fair amount of the rng can be mitigated with skill. But in the end, a 100 man FFA with high lethality and low time-to-react means that skill massages the odds, it doesn't replace them. In a game like CSGO, with lots of rounds (smooths out the stats) and two teams of five, it's much more skill-determinative. In Pubg, skill improves your chances of winning a squad game more than it does a solo game, so you'll see good players with a ~5% winrate in solo against the public hitting 30%+ wins in squads. Squads have lower lethality, fewer possible outcomes, and more ways that skill matters.

There's also "cleverness" v mechanical skills. Cleverness will take you further in Pubg than in most shooters.

Last edited:
Okay so is it worth getting? - im moving away from MMO's after a 12 year lock in WoW, time to go back to shooters. I used to play MOHAA on competitive ladders and played for the UK. So i do tend to go full nerd once i enjoy it.

Im getting mixed reports from friends about Hacking. Some say its plagued with chinese hackers and just hackers in general. Others have told me theres some cheats but its very rare.

How does Pubg fair up skill wise with games like MOHAA & CS:GO ?

Skill wise... It's unrelenting. Even small mistakes are fatal. However, I think it makes getting kills that much more satisfying.

I never played CS:GO much, I just didn't find it all that fun. I think it's because I played so much search & destroy for COD4. I played on a hardcore custom server for years and I didn't play much of the later COD versions.

However, the pace of the game is very different. You can go long stretches without action, only to get shot in the back... definitely frustrating. But you can also land high traffic areas for lots of gunplay, with a high chance of getting killed early. It's up to you.

As for as cheating, it's definitely there, but I'm not sure how rampant it is. I heard a bit advice though. Play the FPS mode more than the Third person mode. It seems that the cheaters migrate to the third person mode more, since it's a little easier for the lesser skilled players. I don't know how much truth there is to that, I have noticed cheaters more in third person, but maybe that's because it's easier to guess when someone is cheating in that mode.

I really enjoy the game, but I can see why it doesn't appeal to some people. Plus, it's only $30.

Really appreciate all them replies, just the kind of info i was looking for. Thanks lads.

There's also "cleverness" v mechanical skills. Cleverness will take you further in Pubg than in most shooters.

So true... I've been taken a few times where I just have to shake my head and say "well played".

In DUO's, I've caught a few teams trying to flank by leaving one guy visible, but moving in/out of windows to keep the team occupied. Meanwhile, the guy's buddy is sneaking up for the flank kill. But when you know it's coming.... It's

EcEHIz7.gif

It's these encounters that make me love the game.

Of course, I had to learn the lesson by having a team do that exact thing to us and dying

So true... I've been taken a few times where I just have to shake my head and say "well played".

In DUO's, I've caught a few teams trying to flank by leaving one guy visible, but moving in/out of windows to keep the team occupied. Meanwhile, the guy's buddy is sneaking up for the flank kill. But when you know it's coming.... It's

EcEHIz7.gif

It's these encounters that make me love the game.

Of course, I had to learn the lesson by having a team do that exact thing to us and dying
Yeah. Other games also reward smart plays, but you can be really creative here.

One of my favorite kills- I'm sad I didn't save it- was in the water. I boated out .5km to a drop and, when I got back into my boat, got shot. Turns out another boat pulled up about 100m away and was waiting for me. Clever girl. So I jumped out. Then I waited. After about a minute, he jumped in the water, I guess to make sure I wasn't sneaking up to hijack his boat. I jumped back into my boat, scoped in on his, and shot him when he jumped back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back