Please Critique My Performance

conceptfighter0432

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
First time posting a sparring video but looking for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism of my performance. (Long sleeve shirt/White Gloves). I feel slow/sluggish for some reason, I try to maintain solid distance and control of my opponent but still feel insufficient overall. Again, I'm asking for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism of both the pros & cons you see of my performance, I'm only looking to improve.

LINK 1:
LINK 2:

What's your experience so far?

Neither of you look orthodox so it's hard to tell either of your levels.

I don't think you're anywhere near as good as you think you are to maintain that floating around with your hands down style though. You'll get cracked in your upright stance and wake up a few minutes later wondering where you are.

That's it? Well shit. You look way, way more advanced than that. That makes it hard to critique you as well besides some obvious stuff like saying keep your hands up and chin tucked a little tighter. But that's nothing you won't learn in time with more experience. You're quite good considering lack of experience.

That's it? Well shit. You look way, way more advanced than that. That makes it hard to critique you as well besides some obvious stuff like saying keep your hands up and chin tucked a little tighter. But that's nothing you won't learn in time with more experience. You're quite good considering lack of experience.
Thank you! Will do.

Thank you! Will do.

I actually liked the way you looked in the 2nd video a little better now that I watched it. Your defensive is a little tighter with you in a better position to defend against punches with your right hand held a little higher. The right hand you threw at the end of the video was also much more fluid than the ones you were throwing in the 1st video, which you seemed to be pushing to some extent. But whatever. 8 months. That's very good.

You’re dropping your hands a lot.
  • When you throw your cross, you drop your lead hand. Keep that puppy up!
  • Your back hand at times is awfully low.
  • Not a fan of a low lead hand. You leave yourself with more defensive and offensive opportunities when your lead isn’t at your waist. I admit that’s opinion and can be mitigated with more experience and physical skills. But for where you are, keep your lead up.

You’re dropping your hands a lot.
  • When you throw your cross, you drop your lead hand. Keep that puppy up!
  • Your back hand at times is awfully low.
  • Not a fan of a low lead hand. You leave yourself with more defensive and offensive opportunities when your lead isn’t at your waist. I admit that’s opinion and can be mitigated with more experience and physical skills. But for where you are, keep your lead up.
Okay thank you very much

I actually liked the way you looked in the 2nd video a little better now that I watched it. Your defensive is a little tighter with you in a better position to defend against punches with your right hand held a little higher. The right hand you threw at the end of the video was also much more fluid than the ones you were throwing in the 1st video, which you seemed to be pushing to some extent. But whatever. 8 months. That's very good.
Interesting, okay thank you very much.

I would advise against dropping your hands and trying to do things that are getting you hit. Some pointers, fwiw (I'm an idiot so take this with a grain of salt):

1. You almost look like you have the problem of trying to look too relaxed, be a little more deliberate when you move, and when you move...
2. avoid telegraphing through your rhythm. Right now you have two rhythms: "I'm not attacking," and "I'm attacking" - you can see it in the way your body language adjusts when punching
3. move after you punch
4. hands up
5. jab more
6. snap your punches

I would advise against dropping your hands and trying to do things that are getting you hit. Some pointers, fwiw (I'm an idiot so take this with a grain of salt):

1. You almost look like you have the problem of trying to look too relaxed, be a little more deliberate when you move, and when you move...
2. avoid telegraphing through your rhythm. Right now you have two rhythms: "I'm not attacking," and "I'm attacking" - you can see it in the way your body language adjusts when punching
3. move after you punch
4. hands up
5. jab more
6. snap your punches
Thank you very much, really great advice

How do I assess your quality??
Let me put it this way: you just earned yourself the right as 3rd pallbearer at my funeral. But work it out with @Shoemaker and @Seano .... placement is up to you guys. I can't hand-hold you all through it.

First time posting a sparring video but looking for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism of my performance. (Long sleeve shirt/White Gloves). I feel slow/sluggish for some reason, I try to maintain solid distance and control of my opponent but still feel insufficient overall. Again, I'm asking for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism of both the pros & cons you see of my performance, I'm only looking to improve.

LINK 1:
LINK 2:

1 Your jab is all wrong and if you don't correct it you will have this bad habit and boxing against any decent boxer will make you pay for it and knock you out.

You don't throw your jab with any power or snap to keep your opponent at bay and set up your power punches. The jab is the probe in boxing and is the most important tool. You paw with it leaving it extended and don't bring it back, to protect you from counters.

Video 2 you look better, but still not committing with the jab, your just flicking it out there.You have to hit your opponent with power like you mean it, not just throw it at him.

2 Foot work and distance is all wrong you are moving strait back not stepping over and turning and you are to far away from your opponent to hit him with power.
Video 2 you look better.

https://youtu.be/OXazZQR_XXE

https://youtu.be/jeugBfw0I98

https://youtu.be/IlOTgJCLcCg

https://youtu.be/SwQf-g72VNs

You need to go back and work on your basics and correct all of your mistakes and bad habits, before learning anything new, work on your jab, footwork, defense and punches, distance and head movement until you perfect it, before moving on to more advanced boxing skills, because your basics are bad.

Master your basics first before trying to master anything else, Rule number 1.

The one thing i stress in learning any fighting arts, is master everything ,even the basics because the basics are your foundation and everything comes from the basics.
https://youtu.be/TSvWlXeDySg

Then when you have mastered the basics everything else comes easy.

Like math when you master basic math like times tables, advanced math is easy. If you don't know basic times tables and have all the basic math mastered, advanced math seems hard when it's not. Because you didn't master the basics.

Everything flows from the basics.

Start over from the beginning and don't stop practicing the basics until you have them mastered. Then move to the next step, then master that, then the next step and so on.

Then you will be a Jedi master.

Last edited:
Back