Crime Police Officer Arrives on Scene, Shoots and Kills Armed Security Guard

Leagon

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
https://wgntv.com/2018/11/11/multip...ing-police-say/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Cliffs:
- Scuffle at a bar. Security breaks it up and tosses people out.
- Scuffler comes back with gun and starts shooting. Security fires back, wounds and apprehends the suspect.
- Officer arrives to find security guard with gun drawn on scuffler. Officer shoots security.

Where does this situation sit in the gun debate? Is this avoidable with better training and legislation or is this the unavoidable cost of freedom? That security guard was a hero and saved lives, only to be killed because...I dunno, because he had a gun, I guess. It's as if the 2nd amendment doesn't really apply to all people equally.

Sound like the officer had to make a quick decision vs an armed stranger.

However, I suspected before opening the link that the victim was black or else it would even be news, so racism.

edit- *wouldn't

Last edited:
Unless dispatcher fucked up royally the officers should be punished, too much leeway will make people reckless. Does not sound hard to stay outside and ask people to leave the bar with hands raised.

Just because your job is difficult does not mean you should not be punished for mistakes.

Seeing a gun should not be enough reason in most cases to justify an officer shooting. This case is tough though, because the guard had the weapon trained on a person, so I assume the officer felt the need to act swiftly to save lives. Seems like identifying good guys and bad guys before shooting is key for someone showing up a few minutes after most of the action occurred.

Why did he have to make a quick decision? The situation was already under control.

I don't wanna do too much arm chair analysis, but the security guard was restraining the shooter. I would think that would be enough to give the cop pause. If the guy was trying to shoot the place up he wouldn't bother holding a guy down.

Seems like the cop made a really bad judgement call.

Why did he have to make a quick decision? The situation was already under control.
Why did he have to make a quick decision when he saw an armed stranger holding a gun on another? Gee, I don't know.

https://wgntv.com/2018/11/11/multip...ing-police-say/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Cliffs:
- Scuffle at a bar. Security breaks it up and tosses people out.
- Scuffler comes back with gun and starts shooting. Security fires back, wounds and apprehends the suspect.
- Officer arrives to find security guard with gun drawn on scuffler. Officer shoots security.

Where does this situation sit in the gun debate? Is this avoidable with better training and legislation or is this the unavoidable cost of freedom? That security guard was a hero and saved lives, only to be killed because...I dunno, because he had a gun, I guess. It's as if the 2nd amendment doesn't really apply to all people equally.

I think some police shootings are due to the fact that there are so many guns in circulation the cops always have to be worried about getting shot or the suspects being armed.
For example, if a suspect runs away from the cops and starts reaching into his pants/pockets it's somehow reasonable for the cop to think the person might be armed.
And takes action according to that danger.
In other developed countries, the cops do not really have that threat. It's very rarely cops get attacked with a gun. And criminals are barely armed.
So their actions are based on less danger. I don't think a Europeans/Japanese cops first response to a suspect reaching in his pockets would be that he is going to shot them.

IMO this is a clear case of the officer not being trained to deal with this sort of situation. It is a shame, and i dont know if the officer was a good one or bad one, but he should face jail time. Our police force needs to understand that they cant just go blasting without identifying the threat.

Why did he have to make a quick decision when he saw an armed stranger holding a gun on another? Gee, I don't know.

Do you think this is a rare situation--for someone to hold a suspect at gunpoint until the police arrive?

The cop was called to the scene. He wasn't just out for a drive and stumbled upon it.

Do you think this is a rare situation--for someone to hold a suspect at gunpoint until the police arrive?

The cop was called to the scene. He wasn't just out for a drive and stumbled upon it.

I would love to hear what dispatch told the cop

However, I suspected before opening the link that the victim was black or else it would even be news, so racism.
<45><45><45>

He had somebody on the ground with his knee in back, with his gun in his back like, 'Don’t move,'" witness Adam Harris said.
Soon after, witnesses said, an officer responding to the scene fired at Roberson — killing him.

"Everybody was screaming out, 'He was a security guard,'"

Not usually what you'll see approaching a criminal, or hear. Curious as to what the defense will be or if anything additional will pop up in the future.
The defense <Lmaoo>

He was just trying to get home to his family. He did nothing wrong.

Anyone remember the cop in dallas that snuffed out the black dude who was just chilling in his own home? Anything ever come of that?

Avoidable. Cop has to identify the target before firing, that's the price paid of the vigilant. Sometimes you have to pause.

You seem more concerned with how something is making news than assessing the merits of the story. Social media may be rotting your brain and turning you into a fearful, paranoid person. This could be why you accept preconceptions entering your mind before reading a single word. You are accepting bias as if it's truth.

The guy who started the fight should never have had a gun.

Back