Positive Thread about Canelo

Social Distance Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like many here, I thought GGG won both fights.

That being said, I have to say Canelo is probably the most improved fighter I've seen, since back in the day with his fight with Trout. (I thought Trout won that one too.)

Against, Trout we saw a slower, clumsier, uncoordinated Canelo. I really thought that this "hype job" would be exposed real soon. I saw very little impressive about this fighter. there was no "shock" or "awe", like I experienced when Errol Spence burst onto the scene.

Anyway, props to Canelo in his victory, and having the stones to go Toe to Toe with GGG. he took a beating in round 10, and still kept his wits.

I look forward to his future superfights.

He's the total package. He suffers because he beats up people that casual fans like.

Like Cotto and Golovkin. And for some weird reason, casuals always like to get behind Lara too. Never really understood that one.

yea I thought Lara won that fight, or at the very worst, a Draw.

@cuban23 , what is your completely objective and unbiased opinion on this fight?

Canelo is a great fighter, no doubt about it. Power, footwork, heart, defence, fluidity, punch selection, great counters.

He’s STILL only the second best MW on the planet though.
I’d like to see BJS, Danny Jacobs, and Charlo get into the mix, and GGG’s time is short.

I’d love for GGG to fight BJS, Canelo to take on Jacobs (or Charlo, but I think it’s a harder fight to make) and move the division from there. Honestly, with the exception of BJS, they are all must watch TV for me.

Positive Canelo thread.

First sentence:

"I thought GGG won both fights."{<huh}

Like Cotto and Golovkin. And for some weird reason, casuals always like to get behind Lara too. Never really understood that one.
Yeah that's weird asf.

And I agree ts, my cousin and I where saying the same after the fight. He looks a lot more confident in there. He also technically improved plenty, he showed some excellent body work, which we graded highly due too GGG's excellent defense (those amateur chops really came through). Also his ability to impose his tempo GGG, I hope he continues to be able to do that. I suspect that's why he didn't run out of gas as badly as he usually does.

Last edited:
At first i thought Canelo would be your just okay champion and lose badly to GGG and others, but i was totally wrong and he's actually learning and even getting better and better, able to totally change his style and box like Floyd then box like Chavez sr and then mix both styles fighting off his back foot and front foot,coming forward, it's pretty impressive and not many fighters can due this,Canelo is just a step lower then Floyd"s skill level, but top notch skills wise.

Huh?

As a fighter or the fight with Canelo? I've never heard casual fans get behind Lara as a fighter.

If you're talking about the fight maybe it's just that you could show a casual fan the fight and even they could see Lara won it.

Huh?

As a fighter or the fight with Canelo? I've never heard casual fans get behind Lara as a fighter.

If you're talking about the fight maybe it's just that you could show a casual fan the fight and even they could see Lara won it.
Threw at least 4 rounds down drain not throwing punches. Lara lost.

All clen and fishy cards put aside, the kid has improved quite a lot since Mayweather schooled him. He's better every time he fights. Slick combos, slow feet but good balance and leverage, great shot selection and head movement, smart pacing and adjustments, clear head when things get rough. Plus he has some pop and one hell of a chin. The GGG win gives him the current P4P top spot, IMO. He's got the deepest resume. Elite boxer.

He deserves a gimme, then I hope he'll fight Jacobs. Danny has a tendency to fight at his opponent's level and I'm sure he'd be ready for Canelo. His size, speed and punch would make it interesting. I think Jacobs did better against GGG than Canelo in his first bout. While a third GGG fight should happen before, as the risk/reward ratio is now pretty damn good for GBP, I don't think an older version of GGG can turn the tide (and I hope he'll ride in the sunset).

Later on with his short frame I don't know if Canelo will move up, but he has enough to be a factor for years at 160. Provided Spence's stock keeps raising let's hope we'll see them fight 3 years from now. The question mark is how long he will fight. He's still young, but he's fought a lot already, he's rich and he's been through hell against Golovkin.

Last edited:
I watched the fight again. and Felt my second half of the fight was too wide. and revised my score to 115-113 Canelo.

I admit I don't like fighters who come with a lot of undeserved hype early on in their careers, so I didn't like Canelo from the start. He has certainly improved with every fight and nobody can accuse him of dodging anybody. He has quite an impressive resume so far. But, starting with the draw scorecard in the Mayweather fight, it's been pretty clear this kid is being protected and it just makes me want to root against him. It seems all he has to do is make a fight relatively close and he will get the decision no matter what.

The first GGG fight is probably the best example. Canelo fought well and it was certainly competative, but he got outboxed and the judges protected him. That really sucked. I'm going to withhold judgement of their rematch because I haven't seen it yet. I had a wedding to go to which made me miss the biggest fucking fight of the year.

Canelo is going down as an ATG. Take that to the bank.

Back