[possible noob question] If you had to guess, …

T-dog.1337

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
If you had to guess, why does Valentina Shevchenko fight southpaw?
I’m trying to learn, I’m very srs about it. I noticed in all fights Valentina is fighting South paw. I must know why…
Why must I know? Because everything I do, it’s left handed naturally but I always get corrected back to right hand, so I’m highly interested in being able to fight southpaw to restore my natural ability. I have a feeling Shevchenko might be ambidextrous as well. But I wonder why she prefers to do southpaw… is there an advantage? Please consider all factors, even gender.

Quite a lot of fighters will fight in the opposite stance to what is natural.
Andre Ward, Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya were all left handed but fought orthodox. Marvin Hagler, Winky Wright, Michael Moorer all fought Southpaw despite being right handed.

Southpaws generally have an "advantage" over orthodox fighters. That advantage is generally that there are less southpaws than orthodox fighters so it's often difficult for them to adapt to fighting a style they aren't used to fighting.
If you keep getting corrected back to orthodox find a new gym.

Last edited:
Andre Ward, Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya were all left handed but fought orthodox. Marvin Hagler, Winky Wright, Michael Moorer all fought orthodox despite being left handed.

bhwv1hz.jpg

Last edited:
Well, this is interesting question.

I might tell about some possible variants from my life exp.
Guy is writing with left hand. While cos he went in trade school where had used manual tools designed for right handed ....
He turned into ortodox stance guy with fast and strong, precise left hand and strong & durable right hand. And normal legs.

Damn, to spar or fight with such lad was nightmare.

Highest level torture are guys with ability to use legs close to 50/50 left - right.

Andre Ward, Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya were all left handed but fought orthodox. Marvin Hagler, Winky Wright, Michael Moorer all fought Southpaw despite being right handed.

Southpaws generally have an "advantage" over orthodox fighters. That advantage is generally that there are less southpaws than orthodox fighters so it's often difficult for them to adapt to fighting a style they aren't used to fighting.

Robbie Lawler fights southpaw despite being right handed.

Bruce lee put his dominate side forward. Valentina appears to be right handed, which would explain why she has such a nasty right hook that orthodox opponents struggle with because it comes out the same as her jab.

Thnx :)

Back