Post Concussive Syndrome Question

I got an unexpected headache from listening to/watching loud house/bass/trap music videos for 15 minutes today. Headache dissipated within an hour but that's never happened before. Fuck.

I got an unexpected headache from listening to/watching loud house/bass/trap music videos for 15 minutes today. Headache dissipated within an hour but that's never happened before. Fuck.
Learning to playing a musical instrument and listening to classical music has been proven to re-build the brain and heal it.

This is probably nature's way of telling us not to be aggressive and not get into aggressive situations that can start from the mind.

There's YouTube Videos helping people with TBI/CTE.

Thanks. Those videos are very helpful.

I actually listen to classical on a fairly regular basis.

I have a novice background in piano. I've always wanted to become better and have thought of the benefits of playing more fluently given the positive brain research results. Of course I have a hand injury too, from, ironically, playing piano. Currently nursing that back to health. I'm a broken man.

Thanks. Those videos are very helpful.

I actually listen to classical on a fairly regular basis.

I have a novice background in piano. I've always wanted to become better and have thought of the benefits of playing more fluently given the positive brain research results. Of course I have a hand injury too, from, ironically, playing piano. Currently nursing that back to health. I'm a broken man.
Hahaha, sorry about laughing but you have to find the humor in these things. With the risk of sounding presumptuous I know exactly how you feel.

@Relia thanks for the videos. Funnily enough I found some simular subjects a few days ago about neuroplasticity, mirror neurons and so forth. This talk was very interesting:

Same guy also has some hypothesis on learning new skills, especially lyrically and musically, improving brain function. How that pertains to concussions well, I don't know, but it's interesting.

After my second concussion recently, I've become part of something called the concussion union or group. I'm also a physio myself, not that that matters really as I'm not particular familiar with treating concussions. I've found out that many doctors know shit about treating concussions, no one really knows much. Anyway.

I've been having some eye pain when looking around and viscious nausea. Went to the doc, and have an appointment with an optometrist in about 3 weeks which can check out if it is sight related. I'll get some eye training there as well. They have experience with concussion. Add to that, I reached out to a physio I used to know through martial arts who opened his own clinic some years ago. I asked him if he could recommend anyone who has dealt with treating concussion. Coincidently, that is exactly what he does lol. He's a very intelligent person and I've only heard good things about his practice, so there's hope. He will call me next week and we'll figure something out.

In addition, I've become part of a forum called somasimple which is pretty much an incredible wealth of knowledge on neurology with some legit authors on the subject posting there.

So with that said, if I learn anything that might contribute to the conversation I will share it as I keep recovering!

I have about a decade of on and off boxing experience under my belt. Never competed, did a lot of sparring and have never had a serious concussion up to this incident. A little less than two years ago, after drinking a 40oz and smoking some weed, a friend and I decided to do some light sparring in his yard (I've never sparred in this state, call it a lapse in judgement). Our exchanges were very light, more like taps, but by the end of it my head was pounding. Fast forward two weeks, and I have all the symptoms of PCS--memory is shit, can't focus, 24/7 headache, sensitivity to light and sound, playing video games gives me headaches, exercise gives me a headache, conversing for more than 5 minutes hurts my head. I didn't end up going to a doctor for it until months later, another stupid decision, but my ct scan came up clean.

Almost two years later I'm healed 95%. The only residual effect is that my concentration seems slightly off and I get headaches if I play games for too long.

But I still feel that once I am healed 100%, that I may want to get back into boxing and compete. Obviously, I'm worried about this happening again since it's been a long and hellish road to recovery. Does anyone have experience with PCS and then returning to training afterward? I'd like to hear your experience and suggestions.
I was pretty seriously into jj at the time of my accident but don't recall much now. Obviously had to quit, but I didn't care about much for a long time afterwards.
I still have epilepsy from the TBI and memory loss is pretty bad.
I had to eventually accept that my memory of *anything* is not reliable, and that I must write everything down or I will probably forget it.
Have recording apps handy, voice and type.

Hahaha, sorry about laughing but you have to find the humor in these things. With the risk of sounding presumptuous I know exactly how you feel.

@Relia thanks for the videos. Funnily enough I found some simular subjects a few days ago about neuroplasticity, mirror neurons and so forth. This talk was very interesting:

Same guy also has some hypothesis on learning new skills, especially lyrically and musically, improving brain function. How that pertains to concussions well, I don't know, but it's interesting.

After my second concussion recently, I've become part of something called the concussion union or group. I'm also a physio myself, not that that matters really as I'm not particular familiar with treating concussions. I've found out that many doctors know shit about treating concussions, no one really knows much. Anyway.

I've been having some eye pain when looking around and viscious nausea. Went to the doc, and have an appointment with an optometrist in about 3 weeks which can check out if it is sight related. I'll get some eye training there as well. They have experience with concussion. Add to that, I reached out to a physio I used to know through martial arts who opened his own clinic some years ago. I asked him if he could recommend anyone who has dealt with treating concussion. Coincidently, that is exactly what he does lol. He's a very intelligent person and I've only heard good things about his practice, so there's hope. He will call me next week and we'll figure something out.

In addition, I've become part of a forum called somasimple which is pretty much an incredible wealth of knowledge on neurology with some legit authors on the subject posting there.

So with that said, if I learn anything that might contribute to the conversation I will share it as I keep recovering!

Sounds amazing. Keep up the treatments and stay on it!

Hope you get well and change the training method.

When I first started training, old school martial artists also avoided hitting the head when training and instead stopped a few inches before hitting the head, knowing the long term effects of head striking.

I believe you can spar but still apply the skills without applying all the force that could be detrimental long term.

You saw my sparring videos and also I don't know if you've seen Freddie Lee and a few others on YouTube.

It sounds like your optic nerve got rocked and the processing nerve pathway was damaged all the way to the back from eye to optic nerve attaching to the brain. I've been doing Reiki on myself and it works but I need more training.

There's QiGong techniques that utilizes your body's natural BioPhotons in order to heal your body. From my understanding and experience with though, you have to have consistent and focused practice in it to have substantial results. Bio electricity and biophotons have been scientifically proven to exist already. They just need to dig into it deeper to establish more ground work.

There's a guy that is said to have lived to 230-250 years of age in China and he was straight up taking a specific balanced combo of herbal medicines every day and he had 23 wives in his life time. He did Qi Gong every day as well and he was over 7 feet tall.

Anyhow, some Qi Gong books you can check out are the Muscle Tendon Changing Classics and other titles by YMAA organization. I'm reading through that one now.

I have infrequent slurring of my speech that I've noticed I've acquired recently. I hope it's psychosomatic and a product of my overthinking when speaking like how it happens to Elon Musk, not from a car accident many years back and sparring.

Music requires usage of left and right hemispheres and I think it's similar to P90x but for the brain, activates larger region of the brain in order to heal its "muscles". Whereas P90x makes you more fit and muscular due to muscle confusion and destroying the plateau effect.

Any of you guys experiencing Neurogenic Stuttering yet?

I've counted just tonight how many head hits I've taken in the last 20 years of my life out of 27, turns out around 30-40 bumps.

Past few days, experienced Apraxia of Words/Neurogenic Stuttering. Especially when reading on these forums or in general via subvocalization.

Might be having seizures in my sleep too. Would wake halfway from a terrifying dream where I'm shot or something and the muscles from lower spine up to my upper back convulse and tighten into rigidity.

Gonna talk to doctor today.

Have you ever considered that maybe your problem is age? Maybe that initial light "concussion" that you got was real and maybe you got PCS after it. But two years later, maybe your problem is age? Maybe all the drinking, smoking, damage, etc. caught up to you and it's no longer a concussion issue but an issue of your body not being where it was 5+ years ago. Just a thought. You mentioned you got a CTE and it came up clean so maybe this is just the natural ageing process taking place.

Have you ever considered that maybe your problem is age? Maybe that initial light "concussion" that you got was real and maybe you got PCS after it. But two years later, maybe your problem is age? Maybe all the drinking, smoking, damage, etc. caught up to you and it's no longer a concussion issue but an issue of your body not being where it was 5+ years ago. Just a thought. You mentioned you got a CTE and it came up clean so maybe this is just the natural ageing process taking place.
That definitely plays into it as well. I simply can't take the hits I could 5 years ago.

I was pretty seriously into jj at the time of my accident but don't recall much now. Obviously had to quit, but I didn't care about much for a long time afterwards.
I still have epilepsy from the TBI and memory loss is pretty bad.
I had to eventually accept that my memory of *anything* is not reliable, and that I must write everything down or I will probably forget it.
Have recording apps handy, voice and type.

Damn man. That's unfortunate. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery.

Maybe it's age... but I was only 27 when it happened. But I've certainly considered sustaining over a decade of sparring as a culprit. Maybe my head just can't take it anymore.

loool what's up guys. Joining the concussion team over here. It's funny cuz my head hurt a little after my fight but what I think really made it bad was drinking and then smoking weed after. I didn't even get hit much but I took short shots to the back of the head. I normally only smoke weed after my fights and I don't even drink.... never drinking again lol.

I don't think it's gonna end up being PCS but this is my first concussion ever and it sure does suck. Mine is not even that bad so I can only imagine how you guys feel, it's worrying and definitely reminds you of your mortality and how fragile it is.

Btw I was reading the new studies about exercise speeding up concusion recovery and went to the gym to ride a bike for 20 minutes... bad fuckin idea. I was rideing moderately intensely and it left me with a giant headache after...

loool what's up guys. Joining the concussion team over here. It's funny cuz my head hurt a little after my fight but what I think really made it bad was drinking and then smoking weed after. I didn't even get hit much but I took short shots to the back of the head. I normally only smoke weed after my fights and I don't even drink.... never drinking again lol.

I don't think it's gonna end up being PCS but this is my first concussion ever and it sure does suck. Mine is not even that bad so I can only imagine how you guys feel, it's worrying and definitely reminds you of your mortality and how fragile it is.

Btw I was reading the new studies about exercise speeding up concusion recovery and went to the gym to ride a bike for 20 minutes... bad fuckin idea. I was rideing moderately intensely and it left me with a giant headache after...

If I were you I'd avoid using any mind-altering substances for at least a week or more (arbitrary length of time, I just feel like 7 days is a good number for rest) after anything that involves taking punches to the head. Ironic that I say that now after getting concussed WHILE being high and drunk. The brain is not to be played around with.

As far as exercise goes after being concussed, if I remember correctly, the researchers from the article I linked above fine-tuned exercise regimens. You'd probably have to play around and see what works best for you:

"Kozlowski and his co-researchers tested patients' threshold for exercise. From that, they developed a specialized low-level workout program (around 10 or 15 minutes) for each individual. Patients were asked to keep track of their symptoms and within three weeks, they reported feeling better. New regimens were fine-tuned and tailored for participants. After several months of this routine, the researchers found that concussion symptoms were significantly reduced or went away entirely for the patients.

"We found that gradual exercise, rather than rest alone, actually helps to restore the balance of the brain's auto-regulation mechanism, which controls the blood pressure and supply to the brain," says Kozlowski."

Last edited:
Sup gentlemen,

My dad was telling me recently that back in the 60s he got rear-ended and received whiplash. The result for him was 2 years of headaches. I looked up the symptoms of whiplash and they are more or less consistent with symptoms of PCS. For more serious instances of whiplash, symptoms can persist for 5-7 years or even a lifetime.

Now, even though I have PCS from very light sparring and not heavy hits, I did for a split-second think that maybe I had whiplash from the blows I received when I first read about it. It's not outside the realm of possibility given how similar the symptoms for whiplash and PCS are and the longevity of both. And certainly, one can imagine that any whiplash type injury can probably cause concussion as well. Food for thought and something to keep in mind. Here are the two articles I've read on the matter:

https://www.hcalawyers.com.au/blog/the-long-term-effects-of-whiplash-after-a-car-accident/

http://www.healthline.com/health/whiplash#symptoms3

Last edited:
Isn't whiplash just your brain violently jolting in your skull anyway. And accompanied with neck pain

Isn't whiplash just your brain violently jolting in your skull anyway. And accompanied with neck pain

Yeah, I think it can be, but not in all instances. In any case, one might be able to apply research and findings about whiplash to their PCS rehab given how similar they seem to be. And there is undoubtedly more info on whiplash than there is on PCS.

Back