Post Punk / Post Hardcore / Screamo / Math Core / Math Rock etc.

BeardotheWeirdo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else here likes this kind of music, but I guess I'm about to find out.

I love this stuff, overflowing with energy, madness, crazy time-changes, ear-piercing distortion, raw screaming and yelling. You generally have to listen to the guitars closely to hear everything that's going on.

Post your favourite post-punk / post-hardcore / screamo / math core etc.

Daughters (from Rhode Island)

Hot Cross (Philadelphia)

Refused (Sweden)

City of Caterpillar (from Richmond, VA)

Phoenix Bodies (from Indiana)

Please Inform the Captain this is a Hi-jack ... (California)

Page 99. (Virginia)

La Quiete (Italy)

Dillinger Escape Plan (New Jersey)

The Locust (San Diego)

Converge (Boston)

Botch (Tacoma, Washington)

The Great Redneck Hope (Colorado)

The Locust (San Diego)

I've been posting most of this kind of stuff in the "punk" thread but glad it has a home (even if its just us posting in it lol).

I remember hearing Thursday for the first time when I was a highschool freshman. Changed music for me forever. I don't care what anyone says. 1998-2003 was a very special movement in music as a transitional generation between Gen X'er and millenials. Feel like we are (28-35 year olds) are in a weird but very unique and special place. This era of emo/screamo/post hardcore/post punk is very defining of the sound.

But now I'm getting off topic.

Was gonna post this band earlier but didn't want Ed Gein in my work browser search history lol

Song that started it all for me.

I don't blame you there

I never got into Thursday, but I listened to that track and it was good.

Bad Religion's Stranger Than Fiction album got me into punk, and it all just snowballed from there.

My first exposure to HC was through this CD, which features 47 Canadian HC bands, as described.
R-7461110-1441941752-5497.jpeg.jpg

Then I heard Converge and Dillinger Escape Plan, then Cave In & Botch and then I started to get into all the different branches of the punk tree.

I'd go to local shows and there would be emo, punk, screamo, & metal-core bands all playing on the same show. I saw Alexisonfire probably 7 times and I never went just to see them, I did really like them though, and they were super nice guys. They would always play with Jude The Obscure

I remember hearing Thursday for the first time when I was a highschool freshman. Changed music for me forever. I don't care what anyone says. 1998-2003 was a very special movement in music as a transitional generation between Gen X'er and millenials. Feel like we are (28-35 year olds) are in a weird but very unique and special place. This era of emo/screamo/post hardcore/post punk is very defining of the sound.

But now I'm getting off topic.

It's true, It was a special time. All the bands were feeding off each others energy and creativity. The movement seemed pretty big at the time. I have an old flyer from 1998 and it lists all the punk, garage, ska, hc, scremo etc. shows in the Toronto area over the next two weeks, and there were literally 30-40 shows a week in the summer. Often I'd go to shows 4-5 times a week in the late 90's

At the drive-in really opened my mind to different styles of punk.

I guess these guys would probably be considered more grind than anything, but I've really been digging Cattle Decapitation lately.

Another one of my old favorites, The Number 12 Looks Like You

Last edited:
Throw in some powerviolence

I guess these guys would probably be considered more grind than anything, but I've really been digging Cattle Decapitation lately.

Another one of my old favorites, The Number 12 Looks Like You

It's all part of the same scene. Cattle Decapitation's second album was released on Three One G, which is owned by Justin Pearson. Justin's been in a ton of HC punk bands like The Locust, Swing Kids, The Crimson Curse, Struggle, Retox, Head Wound City, Holy Molar, Some Girls, All Leather and Ground Unicorn Horn etc.

I love The Number Twelve Looks Like You

Last edited:
Statues - Affliction Prescription

Heck - Good As Dead

Edit - I'm not sure they fit this thread, as they're pretty much alt-rock (especially their current stuff) but Arcane Roots are my favourite band and their earlier stuff was very math-rock inspired.

Arcane Roots - Energy Is Never Lost, Just Redirected

Arcane Roots - Million Dollar Que$tion

Last edited:
Statues - Affliction Prescription

Heck - Good As Dead

Edit - I'm not sure they fit this thread, as they're pretty much alt-rock (especially their current stuff) but Arcane Roots are my favourite band and their earlier stuff was very math-rock inspired.

Arcane Roots - Energy Is Never Lost, Just Redirected

Arcane Roots - Million Dollar Que$tion

I haven't heard any of these bands. Statues I liked the best. The other two were good too though

Back