Post your current lifting routine with details. (Lifts, Sets, Reps, Rest Time/days)

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Post your routine-

The lifts and exercises, sets , reps, rest time between sets.
Days you lift a week. Rest days.

how long have you been doing your current routine? Post your height, weight, age if you choose to!

I have been doing Sheiko's beginner stage 2 program which you can see in its entirety here:

http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=270.0

I am currently on week 7 of 10. I'll post a detailed program review when I'm done (so far as I know no one else has done the program), but the basics are that I lift 3 days per week and the weeks are roughly structured as the following:

Day 1

Squat
Bench/assistance
Leg assistance
abs/lower back

Day 3

Deadlift
Bench assistance
Deadlift assistance
abs/lower back

Day 5

Squat
Bench/assistance
Leg assistance
Sports

Occasionally you squat and deadlift twice in the same session. The training days are rarely the same and there is a great deal of exercise variation in the program, but this is the basic pattern. Sports is specifically prescribed by Sheiko for all his novice and beginner lifters at least once per week. So far I am really enjoying the program, and I will continue with Sheiko's methods after its completion.

I have been doing Sheiko's beginner stage 2 program which you can see in its entirety here:

I am currently on week 7 of 10. I'll post a detailed program review when I'm done (so far as I know no one else has done the program), but the basics are that I lift 3 days per week and the weeks are roughly structured as the following:

Day 1

Squat
Bench/assistance
Leg assistance
abs/lower back

Day 3

Deadlift
Bench assistance
Deadlift assistance
abs/lower back

Day 5

Squat
Bench/assistance
Leg assistance
Sports

Occasionally you squat and deadlift twice in the same session. The training days are rarely the same and there is a great deal of exercise variation in the program, but this is the basic pattern. Sports is specifically prescribed by Sheiko for all his novice and beginner lifters at least once per week. So far I am really enjoying the program, and I will continue with Sheiko's methods after its completion.

good stuff

Check the training logs section, that will give you the info on most of the regular remaining posters routines.

SSNLP after a long layoff.

Basically, I thought Glenn Pendlay was the brains behind SS and was a badass. I have a huge google doc of Glenn Pendlay posts that I used as the basis for my training as a younger man (hence why i used the TM) with some input from Justin Lascek's TM books.

Granted, I wasn't very strong by strong people standards. Some of my lifts were solid intermediate level, others were novice. I didn't really know wtf I was doing. I should have been on an LP my progress would have been faster. Should have ignored the online bitches honestly.

This time around I bought PPST3 and SS:BBT3 and read both of them. Switched to low bar squat (even though back in the day the coolest S&C AVs were oly lifters ATG squarting WEIGHT). I had a lot of success on 3 and 4 day TM when I was younger so i'm thinking of doing something like that after I'm done with SSANLP. Rip and Co are pushing Starr style HLM routines more than the TM these days, and I really like 3x a week routines so I might give that a go just because I won't have to change much around.

Last edited:

Day 1

Squat
Bench/assistance
Leg assistance
abs/lower back

Day 3

Deadlift
Bench assistance
Deadlift assistance
abs/lower back

Day 5

Squat
Bench/assistance
Leg assistance
Sports

Definitely the first on the boards. I've only heard of people doing #29 as a advanced program.

How are you handling progressive overload sans coach?

Last edited:
Definitely the first on the boards. I've only heard of people doing #29 as a advanced program.

How are you handling progressive overload sans coach?

You have to progress a weight which is meant to be your first work set known as ''X.'' Most of the time, I just add 2.5 for squat/bench, and 5 for deadlift. Sheiko's words are that X should be ''moderately easy'' for the prescribed reps. There are two caveats with this. Sometimes X is for 5, 6 or 8 reps, so you should be mindful of that. The second is that sometimes you do X+5, X+10, and sometimes you do X+10,X+20, X+25. If you're a little too aggressive in the first scenario you can get away with it. No way in the second scenario.

For the assistance exercises like lunges or dips or whatever I just do more than last time.

SSNLP after a long layoff.

Basically, I thought Glenn Pendlay was the brains behind SS and was a badass. I have a huge google doc of Glenn Pendlay posts that I used as the basis for my training as a younger man (hence why i used the TM) with some input from Justin Lascek's TM books.

Granted, I wasn't very strong by strong people standards. Some of my lifts were solid intermediate level, others were novice. I didn't really know wtf I was doing. I should have been on an LP my progress would have been faster. Should have ignored the online bitches honestly.

This time around I bought PPST3 and SS:BBT3 and read both of them. Switched to low bar squat (even though back in the day the coolest S&C AVs were oly lifters ATG squarting WEIGHT). I had a lot of success on 3 and 4 day TM when I was younger so i'm thinking of doing something like that after I'm done with SSANLP. Rip and Co are pushing Starr style HLM routines more than the TM these days, and I really like 3x a week routines so I might give that a go just because I won't have to change much around.
I like how they are pushing the hlm a lot. Texas method works but it is so much damn work and you have to eat like a horse to keep progressing

~DaViD~

I like how they are pushing the hlm a lot. Texas method works but it is so much damn work and you have to eat like a horse to keep progressing

~DaViD~

Yeah I was single at the time and basically had all the time in the world to sleep and eventually did a 4 day (wanted to get my monies worth out of my gym due, add in some GPP and the 4 day allows for more rest etc)

I loved the texas method because the way Justin Lascek breaks it down in pt 1 of his ebook, but now there's SO MUCH info on HLMs out there(andy baker's vids, exodus-strength threads etc) and they work for so many more people, I might give it a go just cuz I'm 5 years older and have a shit ton more responsibilities so getting enough sleep is a bit of a bitch sometimes.

I got some good shit though, like Rip's pre SS NLP

You have to progress a weight which is meant to be your first work set known as ''X.'' Most of the time, I just add 2.5 for squat/bench, and 5 for deadlift. Sheiko's words are that X should be ''moderately easy'' for the prescribed reps. There are two caveats with this. Sometimes X is for 5, 6 or 8 reps, so you should be mindful of that. The second is that sometimes you do X+5, X+10, and sometimes you do X+10,X+20, X+25. If you're a little too aggressive in the first scenario you can get away with it. No way in the second scenario.

For the assistance exercises like lunges or dips or whatever I just do more than last time.

Interesting. I like the GPP work from day 1. It's my one gripe with SSNLP is that there's no room for conditioning. I get why but then there's this.

Also Sheiko stole some graphics from SS:BBT to use in his book {<jordan}

Yeah I was single at the time and basically had all the time in the world to sleep and eventually did a 4 day (wanted to get my monies worth out of my gym due, add in some GPP and the 4 day allows for more rest etc)

I loved the texas method because the way Justin Lascek breaks it down in pt 1 of his ebook, but now there's SO MUCH info on HLMs out there(andy baker's vids, exodus-strength threads etc) and they work for so many more people, I might give it a go just cuz I'm 5 years older and have a shit ton more responsibilities so getting enough sleep is a bit of a bitch sometimes.

I got some good shit though, like Rip's pre SS NLP
Yah rip says it himself that Texas method is boarderline over training. I'm switching to a hlm from Andy bakers site after I finish my Madcow run, it definitely seems the most practical intermediate method for an every day guy

~DaViD~

Interesting. I like the GPP work from day 1. It's my one gripe with SSNLP is that there's no room for conditioning. I get why but then there's this.

I really like the exercise variation and the amount of volume as well. The GPP is just to promote blood flow and recovery. It's my opinion that you can do a lot of other stuff in SSNLP, and probably should. The admonitions against doing conditioning or bodybuilding is a load of humbug. The idea that you'll impede your recovery has it the wrong way around, IMO. At least in my experience with SSNLP, I just stopped adapting to 3x5. It's no coincidence that all of the subsequent programs for SSNLP advocate more volume.

Also Sheiko stole some graphics from SS:BBT to use in his book {<jordan}

Lol those dastardly Russians. They're working on translating his powerlifting book to english, which will hopefully be ready soon.

Yah rip says it himself that Texas method is boarderline over training. I'm switching to a hlm from Andy bakers site after I finish my Madcow run, it definitely seems the most practical intermediate method for an every day guy

~DaViD~

So I think the problem mainly stems from the fact that 1) Glenn Pendlay never religiously recommended TM the way Rip did. If the the story around it's creation is true, it sounds like a tapering program for a an HLM meaning those guys wanted to gtfo the gym and get some puss on Friday so they talked Glenn into the PR after busting ass on medium sets across for a few months.

I really like the exercise variation and the amount of volume as well. The GPP is just to promote blood flow and recovery. It's my opinion that you can do a lot of other stuff in SSNLP, and probably should. The admonitions against doing conditioning or bodybuilding is a load of humbug. The idea that you'll impede your recovery has it the wrong way around, IMO. At least in my experience with SSNLP, I just stopped adapting to 3x5. It's no coincidence that all of the subsequent programs for SSNLP advocate more volume.

Lol those dastardly Russians. They're working on translating his powerlifting book to english, which will hopefully be ready soon.

So I been thinking of doing farmers walks or making a 50lb sandbag and doing something on off days or c25k, especially after I drop Wednesday squats weights... or kettlebell and hindu pushup intervals idk. I kind of made he decision just to STFU and follow the program to the letter because that's the only way to ensure results, so I'm scared to throw in extra shit and set off an episode of fuckarounditis.

SSNLP started as a retention program for WFAC, I don't think it's the end all be all by any stretch, I just had the best experience with 5x5 training and Pendlay's stuff. I bought Strongest Shall Survive and a blog of Bill Starr articles, I'm gonna try out his stuff out once I milk NLP.

So I been thinking of doing farmers walks or making a 50lb sandbag and doing something on off days or c25k, especially after I drop Wednesday squats weights... or kettlebell and hindu pushup intervals idk. I kind of made he decision just to STFU and follow the program to the letter because that's the only way to ensure results, so I'm scared to throw in extra shit and set off an episode of fuckarounditis.

SSNLP started as a retention program for WFAC, I don't think it's the end all be all by any stretch, I just had the best experience with 5x5 training and Pendlay's stuff. I bought Strongest Shall Survive and a blog of Bill Starr articles, I'm gonna try out his stuff out once I milk NLP.

i once put 120 lbs of plates and my sled into a wheel barrow and went for a walk to the next soccer field, which was 2 km or something. traps and grip were superfried. i just remembered this while reading your post, haha. i think most gpp is too intense for many people. be careful with your off days. nowadays i would just go for a walk and listen to some motivational podcasts. what's rippetoe's opinion on gpp?

The last, and most successful time I did SS we did farmer's walks after every session up until a point. But we went even further. My upperback was and is and probably always will be a big weakness unless I switch to olympic lifting again. So we also did cable rows after every monday and friday workout. We also had extra bench sessions, we did back off bench sets of 8-10 reps, and finally, we did box jumps after every workout (my old Oly coach had us do them, so I figured why not).

Occasionally I could feel myself not physically adapting to the stimulus, so I'd take a week and progress back up with sets of 8, before dropping back to sets of 5.

The google doc you mentioned with pendlay's posts would be an awesome read. Where is this blog of Bill Starr articles?

Day 1

3 sets of Planks, squeeze hard for 30secs

Light speed squat usually a few doubles or trebles and never anymore than 60% of Max

Deadlift, working up to a heavy set of 5 and usually leave a rep in the tank. I will start with maybe 65-70% of max and add 2.5-5kg to the lift each week . When gets tough, then do quick de-load, then maybe switch to 2 sets of 2-3 with heavier weight for a while until I am ready for a pb.

Deficit deadlifts for speed never more than 75% of current max. Usually work with reps of 3 for a few sets

Some rows/shrugs

Other back work like pull downs and pull ups

Day 2

Bench

Similar to the deadlift approach

Close grip bench with a board. Usually work up to a heavy triple and try to increase the weight most weeks. When I start to struggle, I drop the board and lighten the load for close grips sets of 5-8 reps

Incline/decline dumbbell press - 2 x10 pause reps

Some tricep work with machines and cables

Day 3

Squats

Look at deadlifts above, similar approach

Also Pause squats with about 50-%75 of Max - 5 x 2 reps. sometimes I use a box for these

Bench- Usually a light day and closer grip for some speed work. Maybe do 3x 3-6 reps paused. Never go over 80% of current max and usually work in around 60-70%

Leg press or hack squat - 3 x 12-15 moderate weight

some lunges or good mornings

Shoulder press - Some weeks heavy for low reps and some weeks light for higher. Depending how I feel. Usually use dumbbells, but sometimes the bar.

Side raises and rear delts. Usually a couple sets of 10-12 reps.

Maybe throw in some bicep work as well. Just a few set of preacher curls for 8-12 reps.

The above is basically what I do. It involves a lot of bodybuilding assistance, but I believe this approach is good for muscle balance. Also with the higher reps, I am still trying to push my strength.

A lot of strength trainers rarely go over 5 reps in many exercises, which of course is ok. I follow this pattern for the main 3. However, I think higher reps increases my muscle endurance, which benefits me going for reps with heavier weight on my compounds.

i once put 120 lbs of plates and my sled into a wheel barrow and went for a walk to the next soccer field, which was 2 km or something. traps and grip were superfried. i just remembered this while reading your post, haha. i think most gpp is too intense for many people. be careful with your off days. nowadays i would just go for a walk and listen to some motivational podcasts. what's rippetoe's opinion on gpp?

Rip feels that rank novices benefit the most from strength work as its the tide that raises the other ships but not everyone agrees

When I'm lifting, Trap bar deads twice a week & over head press twice a week. Often though it's more one of each with a little static bike work.

Back