Post your current lifting routine with details. (Lifts, Sets, Reps, Rest Time/days)

The last, and most successful time I did SS we did farmer's walks after every session up until a point. But we went even further. My upperback was and is and probably always will be a big weakness unless I switch to olympic lifting again. So we also did cable rows after every monday and friday workout. We also had extra bench sessions, we did back off bench sets of 8-10 reps, and finally, we did box jumps after every workout (my old Oly coach had us do them, so I figured why not).

Occasionally I could feel myself not physically adapting to the stimulus, so I'd take a week and progress back up with sets of 8, before dropping back to sets of 5.

The google doc you mentioned with pendlay's posts would be an awesome read. Where is this blog of Bill Starr articles?

So I'm guessing being that you aren't a rank novice you respond to more volume? I wonder if I could push it during the LP stage too.

I'm probably going to make a thread with the Pendlay stuff at some point soon. Here's the Starr articles: https://billstarrarticles.wordpress.com/

So I'm guessing being that you aren't a rank novice you respond to more volume? I wonder if I could push it during the LP stage too.

I'm a skinny guy. Putting on muscle for me is a little more tricky than 3 x 5. A number of experienced and strong lifters now have all essentially provided the same advice to skinny lifters whose wildest dreams are not coming true via SS. Do more volume. An old timer we had here, Keith Wassung said it, Kyle Keough said it, Dan Green talked about starting out in body building and how that was important to build his base, Sheiko talks about the benefits of more volume for his novice trainees (specifically, hypertrophy and more practice).

My take on it is that smaller amounts of volume will incur a training effect and cause DOMS in novice trainees than advanced trainees. However, there's almost nothing a novice trainee can do to themselves, volume wise, that would cause them to not be recovered in 48 hours, whereas someone like Chad Wesley Smith could put himself out for two weeks with a single squat workout. If you're squatting 70 kilos, I kinda think that no matter how many times you do it you'll be fine a few days. Whereas Tom Platz actually talked about being totally unable to train legs again for two weeks. If you can do more, incur more of a physiological stimulus, and still be recovered, aren't you just leaving gainz on the table?

I'm probably going to make a thread with the Pendlay stuff at some point soon. Here's the Starr articles: https://billstarrarticles.wordpress.com/

Thanks for posting, looking forward to the Pendlay stuff.

The four basic lifts plus barbell rows. Squats, benchpress, deadlifts are sometimes replaced with front squats, floorpress and rack deadlifts.
Using a combination of LP and RPE to calculate appropriate poundage.

Ross Enamait: Infinite Intensity
Modified for equipment i don't have access to. Otherwise that's it.

Back