PotWR- The Power of the Pardon

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by HomerThompson, Jul 3, 2018.

?

Should I have used my Presidential Pardon Powers to unban Trotsky?

1. Yes

67.9%
  2. No

32.1%
  1. luckyshot

luckyshot VP of the ENTIRE WR

Well, you’ve been here for three years.

How many friends in high places have you made?

(Double yellow cards don’t count.)

2. lilelvis

lilelvis Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Platinum Member

That was an April fools day prank. A bunch of dick jerker were mods for a minute..

3. HomerThompson

HomerThompson President of the War Room Platinum Member

I have the perfect thing for that.

[​IMG]

4. JamesRussler

JamesRussler You can call me Jimmy Double Yellow Card Yellow Card

Let's see – judges, mayors, county counsels, DAs, AUSAs... nope no Sherdog mods! FML

Contra-dictator likes this.
  5. unimackpass

unimackpass Brown Belt

Well their both the most "full of themselves-it's all about me" socialites posting on social media so similar insulting patterns are expected.

Devout Pessimist likes this.
  6. unimackpass

unimackpass Brown Belt

Has he persuaded anybody? I think it's having the opposite affect so it's actually a good thing.

HockeyBjj likes this.
  7. Fawlty

Fawlty radical centrist

Well met HockeyBjj,

If it came to that, this forum would consist of only me talking to myself.

-IGIT

8. Ruprecht

Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

The policy regarding the amount of flaming allowed in the War Room has varied over the years.
    At the moment though, if you make a post which doesn't address the thread topic and consists of nothing but flaming, you can expect infractions (which escalate).
    In other words, don't just reply to people's posts with something along the lines of, "Go fuck yourself to death."

Lead likes this.
  9. lilelvis

lilelvis Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Platinum Member

Awe, golly gee. :(

10. Cid

Cid Silver Belt

Go fuck yourself to death you stupid crow eater.
    That was a bit harsh...

I totally take that back.

You're not South Australian.
    <{natewhut}><{natewhut}><{natewhut}><{natewhut}><{natewhut}><{cum@me}><{cum@me}><{cum@me}><{cum@me}><{cum@me}>

11. Ruprecht

Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yes exactly. Posts like that will get you infracted.
    Not sure how you can accuse me of not being a crow eater, when it looks like you've gone mexican.

sniper and Cid like this.
  12. DespicablePeep

DespicablePeep Brown Belt

I voted no but meant yes, we need liberal retards for the laugh!

13. Devout Pessimist

Devout Pessimist Flawed and Foolish

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of Allan Bloom. I appreciate his book The Closing of the American Mind, but I cannot respect his promiscuous lifestyle that eventually led to him dying of aids.

It would be interesting to know what both Russell Kirk and Bloom thought of the 2016 election. I am certain both would be disgusted (though not entirely surprised) by the two candidates. I am not sure which candidate Bloom would support if (probably not either), but I have no doubt that Kirk would not support the democrats winning and he would be much more sympathetic to Trump voters. I imagine both men (especially Kirk) would have a similar view to Sir Roger Scruton who strongly dislikes Trump, but can understand why "the deplorables" voted for him out of feelings of betrayal and being despised by the media and the political class.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  14. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Do you think he was more promiscuous than Trump? Or generally that his ethical standards for himself were lower than Trump's?

I think it's irrelevant to anything we've discussed. Point is just that neither would be fans of Trump or posting Pepe memes or defending his personal immorality, corruption, and boobery. That's why I say that I'd expect you to at least be a Never-Trump righty rather than that I'd expect you to be a Clinton supporter (though of course Clinton did have the more pro-family agenda and the far better record of personal morality and better skills as a head of state).

He sounds clueless in that video. "I voted" stickers have been given out for as long as I remember, and I've never seen an "I voted for X" sticker given out. And both candidates were popular with voters in their own party. It's actually more media-bubblish to think that everyone hated both candidates (they both were particularly unpopular with the opposing party and with minority factions within their own party, though). That said, of course it's understandable that people who feel that they are out of the cultural mainstream despise that mainstream. It's just not wise or decent to react to those hurt feelings by trying to hurt the country by putting someone like Trump in the WH.

BTW, I think that a lot of these people have painted themselves into a corner. They're calling for civility following denunciations of previous calls for civility ("PC culture"), and they demand that their hurt feelings related to exclusion be taken seriously following mocking of the same idea. I think they know it and are uncomfortable with it. They're like Fry (like Fry!):

15. Devout Pessimist

I agree with most of what you said, however, I take some issue with a couple of things.

I'm not a Never-Trumper and I think it unreasonable to be one. Why decide to stand against someone no matter what they do, good or bad? It seems a little silly. Trump is the president and all of the smug late night talk-show mockery and self-righteous celebrity nonsense will not change that. It only makes people more resentful. Outside of Trump's hilarious tweets, I don't recall ever championing Trump's sexcapades. I would prefer if he would have remained married to his wife and stayed a humble family man instead of running around like a sleeze ball.

You greatly underestimate the negative influence that the words and behavior of democrats, progressive pundits, activists, academics and celebrities had on Trump winning. They are hardly blameless in contributing to the current divisions that have arisen. To downplay or completely ignore the left's role in this mess is to be willingly ignorant and will do nothing to tear down the walls of resentment people are building. Both sides have their issues, but it seems that a lot of people refuse to acknowledge there is a problem on the left.

The best approach is a spiritual discipline against resentment:

The Spiritual Discipline Against Resentment
    Martin Luther King, Jr.'s transformational encounter with Reinhold Niebuhr.

According to [Christopher] Lasch, the spiritual discipline against resentment

discriminated “between the evils of a social system . . . and the individuals who are involved in it.” . . . Self-righteousness and resentment, as Niebuhr understood the latter term, went hand in hand. Victims of injustice, whose suffering entitled them to resent it, had all the more reason to renounce resentment, lest it confer the sense of moral superiority that allegedly excused them in retaliating against injustice with injustice of their own. In order to undermine their oppressors’ claims to moral superiority, they had to avoid such claims on their own behalf. They had to renounce the privileged status of victims.

...the spiritual discipline against resentment is just that—a spiritual discipline. It does not seek entitlement or revenge, but reconciliation for all. It is not a natural but a theological response, rooted in love and virtue, one that acknowledges a higher plane of justice than that attainable in this life...

sub_thug likes this.
  16. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

It would be, but that's not what "Never Trumper" (note caps) refers to. It's a movement of conservatives who acknowledge the harm he has done to the country and to the conservative movement and have committed to rejecting putting tribalism or partisanship above conservative principles. I note that you do defend him and use the silly memes and stuff, while a lot of your other posting would lead me to think you're more in that camp.

I didn't comment on that in the post you're responding to. I said that I understand destructive and stupid behavior, but I still criticize it. If you want to shift, though, I'd say that I'm open to seeing evidence to support your claim. From what I can see, the 2016 election was generally favorable to Republicans, but Trump fared worse than would be expected (of course, expectations were already--rightly--adjusted downward to account for his unusual shittiness) and underperformed down-ballot Republicans.

You seem to be contradicting yourself if you're defending people reacting to cultural resentments by behaving destructively. If you're broadly claiming that both sides are to blame in culture wars, OK.

Good piece on the issue here:

https://medium.com/s/trustissues/th...mp-didnt-start-with-donald-trump-1e44751116bb

The part that follows this:

is particularly relevant.

17. Tekk

Tekk Brown Belt

I just want to take a moment to thank War Room president, @homer Thompson granting my request to have @Super Mikey banned.

The purge continues...

Lowmanproblems and HomerThompson like this.
  18. Devout Pessimist

That is really good article.

I agree with the article you posted that the problems we see today have been there long before Trump. I don't believe Trump damaged the image of conservatism. The image was already tarnished by evangelicals, libertarians, free-market obsessed Republicans and obnoxious political pundits. Trump is the symptom not the cause.

I think all sides need to take the approach of discipline against resentment. There are a lot of stupid idiots on the Right fueling the flames too.

NYT's columist Ross Douthat predicted a Trump presidency (much to his dismay) back in 2016. Here is an article he wrote that angered a lot of people at the time:

Clinton’s Samantha Bee Problem

Jack V Savage likes this.
  19. VivaRevolution

VivaRevolution Whoopin' Belt

You go fu....... Wait, fire hot.

Lowmanproblems and HomerThompson like this.
  20. sniper

sniper Sergei Kharitonov

Lol at the white belt rule @Lethal (I think it's a good call)

I remember this happening because of the OT however many years ago. Unfortunately, more rules followed and then the OT was deleted. Let's not get the WR deleted this time fellas!
    @HomerThompson @Fawlty

Lethal likes this.