Power Hungry UC Berkeley Cop takes all cash from a Hotdog Street Vendor's wallet. Right or Wrong?

Why are people funding someone who willingly broke the law? His money was held in evidence. Now he has $76K for BREAKING THE LAW. Insane how idiotic people are.

What is the actual law/police procedure for this? I am sure there is already precedent. Anyone know if the cop is suppose to take all the vendors money he has on hand?

This really is a not a gray matter. It is very black and white. Either cop is suppose to seize the money or not.

Why does one require a permit to sell hot dogs?
Serious (if stupid) question.

You have to show that your cart has been inspected and that you've passed the appropriate food handling courses. So that you know, your Hot Dog vendor doesn't wipe their buttocks and not wash their hands or have dandruff hair fall into your Hot Dog...

Stuff like that.

Berkely should work on having their cops properly addressing riots and the Antifa bullshit.

I hate people who call and complain about this shit. Let the dude sell his damn hot dogs.
Exactly....They let people larp and fight around like fools.....I can just imagine seeing those fools larp, throwing shit, while my car was on the streets....Shit I would be pissed seeing the fuckers do whatever the fuck they want, my car getting damaged, and cops not doing shit.

The Cops just sat back and didn't do shit....but they take money from a vendor's wallet? LMFAO.

Why does one require a permit to sell hot dogs?
Serious (if stupid) question.

Because evey other block would have a vendor and would look like a third world country.

Smart people need to let the hot dog sellers where a appropriate spot is.

By me a food truck set up on a blind turn. Causing congestion and accidents.

There are many logical reasons

if the guy has no permit then he has a competitive advantage over other vendors

the cop did the right thing

Uber drivers are taking fairs from properly licensed taxis. Ditto air bnb vs registered bnb. The latter is an especially big issue imo.

Uber drivers have driver's licenses though, which allows you to drive someone around. Plus, they are working through a company that tracks customer satisfaction way more than a cab company does. A better comparison for this thread would be a random dude with no driver's license and no oversight painting his car like a cab and giving people rides.

I don't know much about the air bnb thing, I am a Marriott Rewards guy and gotta get my points.

Keeping new businesses out of a market is a legitimate concern and is very likely a partial reason for the processes in place in larger metro areas.

Doing someone's nails might not need to require a two-year degree, but they definitely need to receive various and specific training/certifications before actually doing it. You wouldn't go get a tattoo from some unsanitary, unlicensed tattoo artist would you?
1. Tattoo artist is obviously different than a nail salon. One need not oppose all regulation and licensing to recognize that most of it is bullshit. There is no reason to need any certificate at all to run a nail salon.

2. No, of course it isn't legitimate for the local government to keep new businesses out of a legitimate market in order to protect established businesses.

What is the actual law/police procedure for this? I am sure there is already precedent. Anyone know if the cop is suppose to take all the vendors money he has on hand?

This really is a not a gray matter. It is very black and white. Either cop is suppose to seize the money or not.

It seems that as of January the cash shouldn't have been seized, but everything I've read said that it was put in evidence.

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/how-much-cash-can-police-seize-from-citizens-in-california/474234459

Uber drivers have driver's licenses though, which allows you to drive someone around. Plus, they are working through a company that tracks customer satisfaction way more than a cab company does. A better comparison for this thread would be a random dude with no driver's license and no oversight painting his car like a cab and giving people rides.

I don't know much about the air bnb thing, I am a Marriott Rewards guy and gotta get my points.
Your logic is flawed. The food truck guy no doubt has a driver's license. It isn't a food license, nor is it a taxi license.

You have to show that your cart has been inspected and that you've passed the appropriate food handling courses. So that you know, your Hot Dog vendor doesn't wipe their buttocks and not wash their hands or have dandruff hair fall into your Hot Dog...

Stuff like that.
You ever see the Ass Burgers episode of Southpark?
PicsArt0913031621.jpg

Also, WTF is with the hotlink to Donkey Burger on this page? It's just a normal Chinese shredded donkey meat sandwich, no ass involved.

1. Tattoo artist is obviously different than a nail salon. One need not oppose all regulation and licensing to recognize that most of it is bullshit. There is no reason to need any certificate at all to run a nail salon.

2. No, of course it isn't legitimate for the local government to keep new businesses out of a legitimate market in order to protect established businesses.
1. Do you think the hope of safe storage of acetone (extremely volatile and flammable solvent) might be a good argument for it? That's probably the best reasoning I can come up with anyway.

Edit: oh and don't a lot of them do hand and foot massages too? There's potential for injury if they're not trained I suppose.

This is why I would never want to be a cop.

The cop was doing his job. The filming worked against the situation. Once the camera started rolling there was no opportunity for him to let this guy slide and keep the money.

Imagine being filmed on camera not doing your job ?

Either way he's screwed. He's going to viewed as either a pig stealing someones money or he's going to be viewed as a guy who can't follow his jobs procedure/policy

Back