Power in lead jab

deadscou5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I find i can flick my jab out fine but every time i try to throw weight into it ny pals have even recorded me doing it i oped my chin up
Like ive noticed my right hand drop slightly every single time i throw weight in my left jab is there any tips to get out of this habbit ?

I find i can flick my jab out fine but every time i try to throw weight into it ny pals have even recorded me doing it i oped my chin up
Like ive noticed my right hand drop slightly every single time i throw weight in my left jab is there any tips to get out of this habbit ?

Focus on keeping chin tucked, even if your right hand drops, you can recover quicker to protect it.

Also to get more power in the lead jab, maybe step in as youre throwing it? Im a righty SP, and I find it adds a bit more power to an already powerful jab.

Focus on keeping chin tucked, even if your right hand drops, you can recover quicker to protect it.

Also to get more power in the lead jab, maybe step in as youre throwing it? Im a righty SP, and I find it adds a bit more power to an already powerful jab.
Thats it im orthodox so im stepping in with my lead left shoulder and left foot but i just cant stop my right from dropping slightly
A good way ive found is to immidaly throw the right sraight to the 1solarplex*sp ? Lunchbox lol

Thats it im orthodox so im stepping in with my lead left shoulder and left foot but i just cant stop my right from dropping slightly
A good way ive found is to immidaly throw the right sraight to the 1solarplex*sp ? Lunchbox lol

If youre throwing the right straight from a lower position, you could get countered over the top? Always a good habit to keep that chin tucked, even if your right drops, the distance the right has to travel to protect your face is shorter.

Having great footwork will allow for mistakes like having your hands to low when you throw a jab but the again depends on the opponent. Im uncomfortable infighting but I can work if Im more mobile than the shorter and/or slower opponent.

If youre throwing the right straight from a lower position, you could get countered over the top? Always a good habit to keep that chin tucked, even if your right drops, the distance the right has to travel to protect your face is shorter.

Having great footwork will allow for mistakes like having your hands to low when you throw a jab but the again depends on the opponent. Im uncomfortable infighting but I can work if Im more mobile than the shorter and/or slower opponent.
Right im gonna be completly honest i got stopped about a week ago cos of this habbit the kid timed my straight to the body after the jab and chicken legged me lol but ild habbits are so hard to stop like my friends who dont fight say yeh just keep that righf up by uf temple and explode with the left
But its so much differend in there than sparring

Right im gonna be completly honest i got stopped about a week ago cos of this habbit the kid timed my straight to the body after the jab and chicken legged me lol but ild habbits are so hard to stop like my friends who dont fight say yeh just keep that righf up by uf temple and explode with the left
But its so much differend in there than sparring

Then put in the training, you know your shortcoming, and Im sure your coach does aswell so just drill. Shadow box too and keep that chin tucked and the right hand high If you dont drill that stuff, you'll keep getting tagged when you spar as you'll revert back to your old ways.

You know your problem, I think you should practice your Jab while your right hand touches your chin every time you throw it

You're thinking too much of it being a power strike. Aim to throw the stiff jab, but don't over think on making it the hardest thing ever. It'll come out the less you care. And from there your form will come back.

In the meantime, lots and lots of shadow boxing in front of the mirror

Keep your head back on your rear hip. Even when your transferring weight forward. Push off the rear foot, slight step forward on front foot, and very slight turn of your lead shoulder.

@getting tagged well it happens its part of the sport. Good you're analyzing. If your throwing correctly upstairs your opp's reaction should be to defend that. But that doesnt mean you have to lunge in with head forward and not be defensively responsible with your rear hand as you pointed out. The way i described how to jab should keep your head out of the way and your stance balanced.

As for shadowboxing and drilling yeah thats all great but also do partner drills if you can with the partner counter hitting lightly towards your right hand as you jab.

As long as you've noticed the flaw in your technique with time and practice you'll sharpen it right up. Also if you are aware you do it you can use it to bait a strike to the exposed side of you're head when your arm is dropped and counter them or at least know its coming. Do keep the chin tucked though.

Instead of putting your upper body muscle "into" it

Try stepping into the jab for a power jab. You wont want to do this with every jab or else you WILL get timed and step right into a counter

But that is how you get actual power in a jab without sacrificing too much form

---

You shouldn't have to do a power jab for it to work well and do its job. Save the power for the other shots after you connect with a normal jab or a double jab. Double jab tends to catch those people who are trying to be slick, evade your jab by doing the pull-back, etc.

This sounds like a postural issue. Most people drop their hand because their elbow is in the wrong place. If your elbow is at your side, you hand should be near your chin. When you punch with the left hand, the right hand shouldn't have to move. Most people who flare their elbows drop their hands once the elbow is away from the torso. Stick something under your arm and hold it while you jab, but relax. Don't flex to hold it.

If the chin keeps coming up, that's usually due to hunching. If your back curls, you can't keep your chin tucked.

Power from any punch comes most efficiently from the movement of weight, not from how hard you move your arm. By default the arm and shoulders aren't very strong. The shoulder is actually quite delicate of a joint. That said, if your weight moves only FORWARD with your jab and your head does as well, you compromise distance. In other words, it's easier to hit you back.

To put it very simply, while you're jabbing, try performing like a half squat (with your left foot moving forward) but keep your head closer to your right foot. It will likely feel very weird at first, but when you hit something you'll understand why. And when you hit someone and they try to counter, you'll understand it even more.

Back