Power roundhouse kick?

where are you from?

I still see most gyms, most coaches, and most fighters kick with a wide arc around here.

UK.......... mostly, yes I have trained at gyms that still advocate that but I have also trained at gym's that use the more Thai method of straight up and in, funny thing is, most of the gyms that use the round arc are usually from another TMA and have converted into a Muay Thai gym, ones that use the Thai method started out as a Muay Thai gym and at some point have had a Thai teaching at them.

The Thai's do use both wide arc to smash a tight upper guard and the one straight up into the armpit and turn over into the ribs, they use that if they get your guard up, fake high kick or punches to the face...etc

yeah i was talking the other day about this, the big dogs in american muay thai, such as schilling and ross, and the others are getting old and near retirement probably in another 5 years or so. We got guys like Willy Whipple sort of coming into the spotlight. Regarding Sylvie, i dont think she is the best american muay thai fighter. I really dont think she is all that great but I cannot knock her, because she has done for a woman, what the equivalent of a man fighting 200+ fights etc. That being said, she seems rather stiff, and skill level not that high, and since she is fighting women, the level of competition is not the same, as if a man had 200+ fights, but nonetheless she has done the equivalent for a woman. One thing she has done, is learn the majority of her MT correctly the first time, from master K and then directly to thailand. And she has shared a ton of knowledge, however if you factor in someone getting the opportunity to train with all the best thailand has to offer I dont know. However I dont know if her skill level is a reflection of that. And I think someone like Janet Todd stands a very good chance at beating her. Sylvie has alot of experience and knowledge to share.

The reason I don't agree on level of competition, is that 200+ fights in Thailand is a lot more impressive than Joe Schilling and Kevin Ross, who are talked up as some of the best American Muay Thai fighters but lose to every notable fighter than come across, fight only in America (and occassionally Europe). I think beating 131 women, most of which were Thai's of a range of ability is more impressive than beating 20 opponents, mostly farang of middling to strong ability.

It seems that to be considered a great American Muay Thai fighter you just need to have fought more than 30 times haha

As for her technique, if you're talking about her clinch and knee techniques, she's faaaaaar above average, although I agree that her kicks have never been particularly impressive, but in fairness neither are Muangthai's. I'm not saying Janet Todd couldn't beat her, because styles make fights, but I don't think Janet has really... done anything, comparatively.

Edit:
Fun fact, take any prolific female muay thai fighter, and even if their undefeated at pro, somewhere in their record they lost to Valentina Shevchenko

The reason I don't agree on level of competition, is that 200+ fights in Thailand is a lot more impressive than Joe Schilling and Kevin Ross, who are talked up as some of the best American Muay Thai fighters but lose to every notable fighter than come across, fight only in America (and occassionally Europe). I think beating 131 women, most of which were Thai's of a range of ability is more impressive than beating 20 opponents, mostly farang of middling to strong ability.

It seems that to be considered a great American Muay Thai fighter you just need to have fought more than 30 times haha

As for her technique, if you're talking about her clinch and knee techniques, she's faaaaaar above average, although I agree that her kicks have never been particularly impressive, but in fairness neither are Muangthai's. I'm not saying Janet Todd couldn't beat her, because styles make fights, but I don't think Janet has really... done anything, comparatively.

Edit:
Fun fact, take any prolific female muay thai fighter, and even if their undefeated at pro, somewhere in their record they lost to Valentina Shevchenko

i agree with you, i remember not too long ago watching a lion fight, and seeing the main event of 2 guys matched up with both less than 10 pro fights.

i agree with you, i remember not too long ago watching a lion fight, and seeing the main event of 2 guys matched up with both less than 10 pro fights.

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical when it comes to UK and US based Thai promotions. There are some fighters you see on UK shows from gyms local to me, and they are talked up to be these incredible fighters, the best of Britain and they don't even look like professional fighters.

Westerns will never get as good as the Thai's.........we don't have 10 year olds growing up in Thai boxing camps, who will box for a living, we don't even let our adults fight full Thai rules until they have had X number of fights..........

I do feel that because of our addiction to our class system we end up with fighters that are really not very good with Elbows, Clinching, knee's. Their hands are okay and their kicks are passable..........but the rest does not hold a candle to a mid tier Thai Nak Muay.

I do feel that because of our addiction to our class system we end up with fighters that are really not very good with Elbows, Clinching, knee's. Their hands are okay and their kicks are passable..........but the rest does not hold a candle to a mid tier Thai Nak Muay.

Not even kidding. I am the only clinch fighter in my gym. I'm the only one that can explain all the different types of knee and elbow technique, sweeps etc.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly it is that makes white peoples kicks look so weird and gammy. I should know this, but I'e never quite been able to put my finger on it.

Not even kidding. I am the only clinch fighter in my gym. I'm the only one that can explain all the different types of knee and elbow technique, sweeps etc.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly it is that makes white peoples kicks look so weird and gammy. I should know this, but I'e never quite been able to put my finger on it.

Lol...... don't talk to me about clinching <Lmaoo>some of the people I have trained with only know one type of knee......they try to use it for all occasions....<45>white people kicking.......trained with someone once in a light one on one partner drill, aim of the game was low kicks.....twat proceeded to try and jab my nose into mush.....<Lmaoo>not one low kick did he try.....got pissed off with him and buckled his leg, he changed partners.....

Lol...... don't talk to me about clinching <Lmaoo>some of the people I have trained with only know one type of knee......they try to use it for all occasions....<45>white people kicking.......trained with someone once in a light one on one partner drill, aim of the game was low kicks.....twat proceeded to try and jab my nose into mush.....<Lmaoo>not one low kick did he try.....got pissed off with him and buckled his leg, he changed partners.....

I don't think the overly macho nature of British men goes down well with Thai style sparring haha.

It makes me laugh when I do these upwards trajectory knees, and then someones like 'you're kneeing wrong' - no I'm not newb, you've been here 6 weeks. I have three main variants that I go between and I know how to mix them with sweeps, everyone else just slaps on double collar tie and wonders why it doesn't work.

Westerns will never get as good as the Thai's.........we don't have 10 year olds growing up in Thai boxing camps, who will box for a living, we don't even let our adults fight full Thai rules until they have had X number of fights..........

I think in 10 years, Americans will be "in the game"

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical when it comes to UK and US based Thai promotions. There are some fighters you see on UK shows from gyms local to me, and they are talked up to be these incredible fighters, the best of Britain and they don't even look like professional fighters.

it seems the UK has their few top dogs same the like the US does. Australia has seemed to sort of fall of the scene outside of Toby Smith but I dont really keep up with following fights.

As opposed to just tagging somebody. How do you modify your form/technique to add more power. Probably at the cost of something else. Speed, defense, etcetera. I feel like I'm probably going to be told it's the muay thai roundhouse. If so, please elaborate.

Step to the left a bit before you kick and me sure your whole body and hips are into it

I think in 10 years, Americans will be "in the game"

Unless Thailand becomes uninterested in their national sport, we will always be playing catch-up. The Thai's use the West as their retirement circuit and they still don't have any trouble dumping us on our arse.......

Unless Thailand becomes uninterested in their national sport, we will always be playing catch-up. The Thai's use the West as their retirement circuit and they still don't have any trouble dumping us on our arse.......

i mean the US will be competitive, similar to the other top foreign countries.

i mean the US will be competitive, similar to the other top foreign countries.

Yes, competitive with the rest of the west and I don't think it would take 10 years to get there. It's a pretty low ceiling to reach.

Yes, competitive with the rest of the west and I don't think it would take 10 years to get there. It's a pretty low ceiling to reach.

yeah i mean thailand will always be number one, but I dont think we will be so low on the totem pole anymore, give it about 10 years and I think the US will be one of the top countries outside of thailand. They're exact postion I am not sure but the sport is really taking off here I see the US producing some top talent in the near future.

yeah i mean thailand will always be number one, but I dont think we will be so low on the totem pole anymore, give it about 10 years and I think the US will be one of the top countries outside of thailand. They're exact postion I am not sure but the sport is really taking off here I see the US producing some top talent in the near future.

Less than 10 years, ceiling is pretty low in the rest of the world.

Similar to how European football players go to American teams later on in their career, like Beckham and Zlatan going to L.A Galaxy to pwn some noobs and score left and right before retiring.

Back