Powerclean form check

kevo1295

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hi, just looking for some input on my powerclean form. I haven't done these in months and am looking to add them to my strength programming. These were done at the end of my workout (3x5 squat, 3x3 bench, 3x5 barbell rows). I stopped when the weight felt a little heavy (155 lbs, maybe rpe 7). Was done at my house and I don't have bumper plates. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

135#

145#

155#

Sorry I'm doing this from my phone. Think I uploaded the same vid twice

No expert here but you are exploding too early, thus messing up the last part of the triple extension. Watching Alan Thralls how-to on power cleans helped a lot, and combining high pulls and power cleans in a set, i.e two high pulls, then one power clean.

I don’t know much about anything, but your catch/rack needs work. You caught the 155lbs in your hands, then lowered the weight to your shoulders/delts

I started incorporating power cleans myself and I am sure my form is shit. There are no bumper plates at my gym so I also do them with regular plates and once I dropped them accidentally and made a huge racket which was embarrassing.

It seems very difficult to get technically good at it without a coach though so that's something I'm trying to figure out because I am really interested in weightlifting.

There are a number of problems with your technique. In order, your second pull, or the ''explosion,'' the bar gets kicked out in front of you. It needs to go up, not out. Up.

In the 155 video, specifically, you're doing the second pull way too early. You're hitting yourself just above your knees with it. This doesn't happen as much in the 135 video, but it's still happening too early. Because the bar is getting out in front of you, you have to get on your toes to catch the bar. If we added another 5 kg to the bar I bet we'd see you take a step forward to catch it, or you'd just miss the clean.

Because of the problems with your explosion, and also because you're not getting the elbows through, you're not getting a good rack. Again, another 5kg and this would fail. In the 155 video, your elbows don't come through until you've actually caught the weight already. Turn your hand over as quickly as possible, and throw your elbows through and high. And try to land in a position in which it would be comfortable to squat.

I started incorporating power cleans myself and I am sure my form is shit. There are no bumper plates at my gym so I also do them with regular plates and once I dropped them accidentally and made a huge racket which was embarrassing.

It seems very difficult to get technically good at it without a coach though so that's something I'm trying to figure out because I am really interested in weightlifting.
for most people (including the OP) it makes more sense to just do hang cleans. It's much easier to do in terms of technique and works explosiveness (and traps) just as hard. Same for the snatch high pull vs a full snatch.

for most people (including the OP) it makes more sense to just do hang cleans.
I agree, do you prefer having people do hang power or full hang cleans?

There are a number of problems with your technique. In order, your second pull, or the ''explosion,'' the bar gets kicked out in front of you. It needs to go up, not out. Up.

In the 155 video, specifically, you're doing the second pull way too early. You're hitting yourself just above your knees with it. This doesn't happen as much in the 135 video, but it's still happening too early. Because the bar is getting out in front of you, you have to get on your toes to catch the bar. If we added another 5 kg to the bar I bet we'd see you take a step forward to catch it, or you'd just miss the clean.

Because of the problems with your explosion, and also because you're not getting the elbows through, you're not getting a good rack. Again, another 5kg and this would fail. In the 155 video, your elbows don't come through until you've actually caught the weight already. Turn your hand over as quickly as possible, and throw your elbows through and high. And try to land in a position in which it would be comfortable to squat.

Very informative. Thanks.

Very informative. Thanks.

Click closed captioning for the translation (unless you happen to speak Russian). This is a very detailed explanation of the second pull. You'll see very quickly in the video what the bar path should be (watch out for your chin if you try that).

for most people (including the OP) it makes more sense to just do hang cleans.
I'm assuming you mean hang power cleans.

...which I'm 100% in agreement with.

for most people (including the OP) it makes more sense to just do hang cleans. It's much easier to do in terms of technique and works explosiveness (and traps) just as hard. Same for the snatch high pull vs a full snatch.
I would do Hang Power Cleans.

Will try the hang power cleans on next workout, which I'm just going to devote to fixing up technique.

Will try the hang power cleans on next workout, which I'm just going to devote to fixing up technique.
post a new vid with your form, I'm sure there are people happy to help.

Ok. So traps were sore as fuck today from a previous sesh and was out late last night, but didn't wanna miss this workout. Still struggling and tried to focus on a few things. Hang power cleans felt really awkward. Still having trouble catching with elbows up (lack of mobility?). With the hang, I have a tendency of losing balance going backwards sometimes too. Tried using a hook grip on all the lifts. Also got a new phone which can post gifs, which is pretty sweet.

115# hang power
giphy.gif

135 hang power
giphy.gif

115# pause-> powerclean
giphy.gif

Another one
giphy.gif

Some vids

115# hang power clean

135# pause->powerclean

115# powerclean

Attempt at a clean (first time ever, would like advice on these also) 125#

2nd attempt

Last edited:
Okay so there's some improvement, but still some work to be done. The pull is better because you're more patient, and you're not pushing the bar away from you. The catch is better because you're actually putting your elbows through, if not enough.

Pull: I can see two issues. In at least one of the videos you actually never make contact with the bar. This is not correct. You should put tension on your lats to pull the bar into you, and transfer energy to the bar with your thighs. Second, and this relates to your backwards lean, you aren't standing up straight, you're going past upright.

Catch: Two problems, the lean, and the actual catch. About the lean, first, you're starting from a backwards lean because of your pull. Second, you're really only bending at the knees to get down to the bar. You can do 3 things to get down to the bar to catch it. You can move your feet out, you can bend at the knees, and you can bend at the hips. I'd recommend you do a little of all three to finish in a position that I can only really describe as ''athletic.'' My old oly coach would just yell at me and demonstrate the position to remind me of the position so I don't really know a better way to describe it: you're balanced, you're bent a little at the hips, knees, your feet a little bit wider apart, with your elbows high.

Watch the juggernaut video about the turnover again, she demonstrates this position.

And about the catch, you're really catching the bar with your hands. You are meant to catch the bar with your shoulders. I think this is why your elbows are not coming through, because they have to be under the bar in order for you to catch it in your hands. Really fire them through and perform the catch with your delts.

And so how should you practice these things? First, take the weight way down (start with a broom stick, then a bar, then 30kg for a session, then 40kg for a session). The issue isn't that you're not strong enough, the issue is that you need to learn a new motor pattern. Second, work on your pull with this sequence:

Very in-depth explanation proko. I really appreciate it!

Back