Practical Tai Chi and Wrestling sparring

why is this 'wrestler' wearing weight lifting shoes with no socks? either he is a total novice or spazz making all those noises or he is acting

the second 'takedown' when he just gets shoved off his feet you can tell he is acting because he looks back to the direction he is falling to prepare for it

the taichi guy has some pretty decent technique though, don't know why he has to make this fake LARP-esque video against a hulking wheezing 'wrestler'

just show the lifts or throws on a willing partner as a demonstration

Last edited:
Lol. That first "throw" was ridiculous.

Edit: I love how he's wobbly after each throw like he just got KOd. Terribly fake.

seems staged . apparently this guys student is located in denver and he himself does seminars down here. I wouldnt mind popping in sometime soon and seeing if he can in fact throw people like that around like that.

That video is fake. I'd bet $20 on it, and this is coming from someone that likes Tai Chi and will probably be doing it again soon.

I could go the rest of my life without seeing the phrase "practical Tai Chi" and be fine with that.

Lol. That first "throw" was ridiculous.

Edit: I love how he's wobbly after each throw like he just got KOd. Terribly fake.

The big guy stated that after the session, he was puking and felt dizzy afterwards. Most likely got a concussion.

If you really think it's bullshit, why not join in on one the seminars Mr. Chen Zhiqiang offers? Bring a camera too. Just don't be crying and complaining when you get your ass handed to you. He travels all over the world, and he's always been open to challenges. Funny thing is, anyone who's ACTUALLY crossed hands or grappled with him, has a ton of respect for him and the rest of the Chen family.

The moment you think you know everything in martial arts, is the moment you stagnate your own growth as a martial artist.

By the way, here's a video clip of Kungfu and BJJ instructor Tim Cartmell, who trained under Cleber Luciano and is knowledgable in Taiji and Xingyiquan. I believe he still teaches at "Ace Jiu jitsu" in California. There's also a good interview with him from "Budo Jake" (BJJ guy) on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OAN95i7tSc

Peace

Not believable to me, but much better staged than I'm accustomed to seeing.
If you really think it's bullshit, why not join in on one the seminars Mr. Chen Zhiqiang offers?
The problem with this line of arguing is that this question is backwards. For most people, they would like to join in on one of the seminars if they thought it was legit. People want to learn cool stuff more than they want to disprove stuff, especially if it means expenses and putting onself in a socially awkward situation.

If you show something unbelievable and you have a problem with people's disbelief, the onus is on you to prove it.

That video is fake. I'd bet $20 on it, and this is coming from someone that likes Tai Chi and will probably be doing it again soon.

I don't know. I've trained with some pretty high level internal martial artists and that was how it looked more or less when they threw people. The first throw especially looks very believable. The way tai chi guys throw you is they wait until you overcommit and then unroot you and spin you off your feet. You really can spin several times. What I doubt is not the throw, but rather that the guy was much of a wrestler.

If you watch the second throw, he's not really throwing him so much as hitting him really hard from short distance. You can see him shudder pretty hard. I think that's why he was slow to get up.

Overall my experience with these guys was that they had real skills, but most of them didn't spar enough to be able to use them outside of pretty restricted rules. For example, I'd get owned by guys in push hands but if we added more movement, or leg attacks, they'd have no idea how to deal with them. But legit Tai Chi guys do have some real skills.

I don't know. I've trained with some pretty high level internal martial artists and that was how it looked more or less when they threw people. The first throw especially looks very believable. The way tai chi guys throw you is they wait until you overcommit and then unroot you and spin you off your feet. You really can spin several times. What I doubt is not the throw, but rather that the guy was much of a wrestler.

If you watch the second throw, he's not really throwing him so much as hitting him really hard from short distance. You can see him shudder pretty hard. I think that's why he was slow to get up.

Overall my experience with these guys was that they had real skills, but most of them didn't spar enough to be able to use them outside of pretty restricted rules. For example, I'd get owned by guys in push hands but if we added more movement, or leg attacks, they'd have no idea how to deal with them. But legit Tai Chi guys do have some real skills.

very well said my friend. Legit taiji shows good structure, leverage, rooting and relaxed power.

Peace.

Seems like a legit marketing strategy. Post an obviously fake video, then tell people if they think it's fake, they should pay the money to come to the seminar and prove otherwise. Niiiice.

very well said my friend. Legit taiji shows good structure, leverage, rooting and relaxed power.

Peace.

To be clear, I'm not saying it couldn't be staged, or that the big guy might be exaggerating for effect. But it's definitely believable based on the Tai Chi and Ba Gua guys I've trained with.

Most likely got a concussion

From what? Flailing like a fish out of water?

I've been actually thrown/slammed on my ass during my 7 years of wrestling and 5 years of BJJ and never once have I flopped like a fish like that dude....esp one that weighs a significant amount less than me. So tell me how "throws" of such obvious low amplitude is producing those results? Magical inner chi? Is he using a spirit bomb like Dragonball Z? Should I be raising my hands right now so he can absorb my energy?

I do believe there are positives taken from any martial art. Specifically with this one, staying rooted/centered with your balance, being able to feel out your opponents balance. Aikido-different wrist locks, Karate-distance control, timing etc etc. You know, things that actually work against live sparring partners not obvious LARPers.

The "wrestler" in this vid is obviously acting if not just plain staged. You're pissing on my leg and trying to tell me it's raining here.

And lol at me going to challenge this guy. The only reason you said something like that is because it's not feasible and definitely not worth my time. But I'll play along...so where can I find this amazing man so I can challenge him? I'm only 5'10 180ish lbs (king of the manlet sized) and I'm pretty sure I could dump this guy on his ass whenever I wanted and most likely put his arm on the mantle above my fireplace. And here's the best part....

I'm not even close to a high level competitor at this point in life or even close to the best guy at my gym

Edit: I'm not saying this guy isn't an expert in his art, more that "wrestler" is acting...period.

Last edited:
To be clear, I'm not saying it couldn't be staged, or that the big guy might be exaggerating for effect. But it's definitely believable based on the Tai Chi and Ba Gua guys I've trained with.

I think that says much more about the pervasiveness of 'compliance with the master' psychology than it does about their physical combat skills.

Nobody gets knocked down like that without active compliance psychology. It's not real.

I think people greatly underestimate the general human susceptibility to compliance in such situations. I would not at all be surprised if this guy genuinely thought he was resisting 100%. But he 100% wasn't.

If you really think it's bullshit, why not join in on one the seminars Mr. Chen Zhiqiang offers? Bring a camera too. Just don't be crying and complaining when you get your ass handed to you. He travels all over the world, and he's always been open to challenges. Funny thing is, anyone who's ACTUALLY crossed hands or grappled with him, has a ton of respect for him and the rest of the Chen family.

Just state an open challenge to bullshido.com and the will actually send someone over.

By the way, here's a video clip of Kungfu and BJJ instructor Tim Cartmell, who trained under Cleber Luciano and is knowledgable in Taiji and Xingyiquan. I believe he still teaches at "Ace Jiu jitsu" in California. There's also a good interview with him from "Budo Jake" (BJJ guy) on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OAN95i7tSc

Which has nothing to do with the video you posted.

I feel like I just got " Wiz Cool C'd"

I think that says much more about the pervasiveness of 'compliance with the master' psychology than it does about their physical combat skills.

Nobody gets knocked down like that without active compliance psychology. It's not real.

I think people greatly underestimate the general human susceptibility to compliance in such situations. I would not at all be surprised if this guy genuinely thought he was resisting 100%. But he 100% wasn't.
This is very understated and touched on. No one who has rapport with each other wants to embarrass someone in public.

I would love to see this thread on bullshido. Just send a grappler of equal or lesser quality to compete against taichi.

Its basically limited rules greco with 0 footwork.

That's all you guys are seeing? The ham acting? Never mind the fact the little guy is strong as hell and doing some pretty nifty tricks? Like the near KO at the 0:57 mark?

I dunno why people are suprised to find out that taichi is a grappling / locking art. Let me find some other clips

Back