Predator 2 vs Predators

?

• Total voters

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which one do you like better?

I think I actually like Predators more. Predator 2 is good. But Predators has that awesome samurai duel, the "i'm gonna do so much fucking cocaine" line from Walt Goggins (actually just Walt Goggins' presence throughout the movie elevates it), it also has that awesome falling through the sky opening sequence. It's arguably got a better cast of badasses....Danny Trejo, Oleg Taktarov, Morpheus, Walt Goggins, that japanese dude, masheralbieabaz ali, and Adrien Brody doing a surprisingly good job of acting like a badass. And Alice Braga is super hot.

But Predator 2 has the "your move, Pussy Face" line, King Willy, Gary Busey's insane ass (which elevates the movie. "A fucking ALIEN!" Lol). It's got Bill Paxton, the man....hamming it up as usual and elevating the shit out of the movie. It introduced new Predator weapons like the net, that boomerang blade thing, the retractable spear. It put the Predator in an urban environment, which I was hyped to see, but somehow they didn't capitalize on that as much as I hoped they would. It was still cool, though. And the cast is great in this one too....it's got Danny Glover, Bill Paxton, Gary Busey, Adam Baldwin, Reuben Blades, Maria Conchita Alonzo.

There's an argument to be made for both flicks. Both have their strengths and their flaws.

predator_two_ver1.jpg

vs

predators_xlg.jpg

The samurai duel was bad and you should feel bad.

The samurai duel was bad and you should feel bad.

Dude that duel was awesome. The cinematography alone in that scene was outstanding. I mean, it literally stood out from the rest of the movie. The way the trees were lit, the way the tall grass swayed in the wind....it was beautiful. And at the end of the duel, it was unexpected to see the Predator fall. Then the japanese dude fell, too. It was great. Easily the best scene in the movie, for me.

Oh and I saw an interview with the japanese actor, and he's actually studied some sort of japanese sword fighting style since he was young, iirc. So the sword techniques you see in the scene are, according to him, realistic samurai techniques.

both movies suck
they wouldn't suck if original was never made so you had no comparison to it

but original was indeed made and they've cast the best action star ever in it (and plethora of other badasses in their prime) and filmed one of the greatest action scenes ever

predator 2 has the "I'm too old for this shit" guy which looks like he should be enjoying his retirement not fighting a killing machine..and predators has skinny adrian brody trying to pass off as an action star - terrible plot and movie..

Both were fun in their own way, but nothing great.

I'd go with Predators if I had to choose.

both movies suck
they wouldn't suck if original was never made so you had no comparison to it

but original was indeed made and they've cast the best action star ever in it (and plethora of other badasses in their prime) and filmed one of the greatest action scenes ever

predator 2 has the "I'm too old for this shit" guy which looks like he should be enjoying his retirement not fighting a killing machine..and predators has skinny adrian brody trying to pass off as an action star - terrible plot and movie..

I think they were both pretty good. And they were both fun. But yeah I agree that the first one is the greatest action movie ever made. So any sequel has got huge shoes to fill, and it's basically futile to even try.

predators cause it's on another planet
predator 2 was basically i'm too old for this shit

Predator 2 was meh, maybe even a little boring, but I'd still put it above Predators. That movie was shit. Shit cast. Poorly executed story. (Interesting idea, but seeing it on screen was extremely anti-climactic). Plus, Predators felt like a massive super inferior ripoff of Predator. So many times I was like "this is just a rehash of what I've already seen and what was done much, much better before"

So I'll go with Predator 2.

In reality though, Predator never got a good follow up. Predator is a classic. The rest are varying degrees of shit.

Predator 2 by helicopter armbars all day long. I was not super impressed with Predators. Predator 2 was almost as good as the original, which is one of my favorite movies and though highly regarded, I still believe underrated as a movie.

I liked both, and I am a big fan of the Predator franchise. AvP is shit, but I've always enjoyed watching Predator kill the shit out of people in those movies. I thought Predator 2 was great, but I just wasn't buying Danny Glover and his 6-shooter as the hero who could bring down the Predator when Arnold came so close to defeat. Predators was actually a nice ensemble cast, and I thought that the pacing was great. Brody really surprised me with how well he did in that role as the weathered mercenary. I could have done without Topher Grace (same with any movie he's in pretty much), but Predators still gets the nod.

I liked both, and I am a big fan of the Predator franchise. AvP is shit, but I've always enjoyed watching Predator kill the shit out of people in those movies. I thought Predator 2 was great, but I just wasn't buying Danny Glover and his 6-shooter as the hero who could bring down the Predator when Arnold came so close to defeat. Predators was actually a nice ensemble cast, and I thought that the pacing was great. Brody really surprised me with how well he did in that role as the weathered mercenary. I could have done without Topher Grace (same with any movie he's in pretty much), but Predators still gets the nod.

^ I agree with every bit of this

I aim to provide my own detailed, twatty fanboy comments when I am not pooping at work.

I gave them both the same rating. They're alright, above average movies that are well below Predator. I haven't watched them recently enough to separate, so I'll vote based on something arbitrary like which cast I like more - Predator 2.

Predator 2 for me. I hated how they made a new race of "super" predators that was ment to be tougher and more badass than the species in the first two. Just come up with a new design and weapons like 2 did instead of shitting on the original.

Oleg was cool but the killed off trejo way to quick

I seem to be the only one who didn't like the samurai duel. That "super" pred died the easiest of any pred in the whole series

I think Predators has better ideas and cooler concepts, whereas Predator 2 executed them more effectively.

The samurai duel is an awesome idea, but in practice comes up very short of it's aspirations, imo. The pieces are all there like the cinematography, music, etc but the actual duel itself is pretty generic and anti-climactic. I think this happens often in Predators and I mostly blame Fox because FuckYouFox. I mean, really, a survivalist thats been living on bug larvae or some shit for 20 years but he has 3 chins?

One thing I absolutely hated about Predator 2 was the subway scene where bullets are literally bouncing off the Predator. Thats stupid as fuck and brings the entire movie down.

I think Predators has better ideas and cooler concepts, whereas Predator 2 executed them more effectively.

The samurai duel is an awesome idea, but in practice comes up very short of it's aspirations, imo. The pieces are all there like the cinematography, music, etc but the actual duel itself is pretty generic and anti-climactic. I think this happens often in Predators and I mostly blame Fox because FuckYouFox. I mean, really, a survivalist thats been living on bug larvae or some shit for 20 years but he has 3 chins?

One thing I absolutely hated about Predator 2 was the subway scene where bullets are literally bouncing off the Predator. Thats stupid as fuck and brings the entire movie down.

Yeah I'd tend to agree, Predators generally comes across as trying very hard to be "cool" but just not being able to back up the concept in the way the previous films did, the equilvent of a not very convincing indie band covering a piece of classic rock.

Whilst it obviously lacks the purity of the original I have always really enjoyed Predator 2 simply because It mixes elements of it with effectively being a "greatest hits" of late 80's action cinema. You have Glover, Paxton, Busey and Conchita Alonso all essentially playing there best loved characters from Lethal Weapon , Aliens and the Running Man along with obviously the Predator himself, Robocop style urban decline and larger than life druglords plus police drama.

Last edited:
Predator 2 really missed a trick when they brought in Murtaugh without Riggs.

Predator 2 by a wide, wide margin. It's not a worthy sequel to the first one and it's too bad Arnold turned down the sequel. I think he was filming Total Recall and Kindergarten Cop around that time so it's no big loss.

Gary Busey is really distracting in any movie he's in.

Predators for me.

Back