preserving muscle while losing weight

Here is one extract that I found about

http://dl.clackamas.edu/ch106-07/carbohyd1.htm

Another one
https://www.google.com.py/amp/s/fit...s/archive/2012/08/10/amp/fat-not-glucose.aspx

There’s a shit ton of articles sayign the same thing, as normally there’s different opinions on the matter, From my experience, I don’t need to load up on carbs to have enough energy to grapple, at all...
Very unlikely that you are in Ketosis if you are consuming a normal amount of carbs (say above 100g per day)

Your body has to deplete the reserve of glycogen (glucose) stored in your liver. Then you will enter ketosis.

Ketosis is the state you are in when your brain switches from using glucose as its fuel source to using ketone bodies, if there is glucose readily available the brain will use that as it's preferential fuel source.

This would explain why you and the rest of the BJJ squad are not seeing a performance drop off from fasting, you're still using glucose for fuel as the carbs you are consuming are getting stored in your muscles as glycogen.

That could be... I don’t know, but what I do know is that I train at noon, and I fast from 8 pm... most of my clase mates fast 20/4... I do 16/8...

Here is one extract that I found about

http://dl.clackamas.edu/ch106-07/carbohyd1.htm

Another one
https://www.google.com.py/amp/s/fit...s/archive/2012/08/10/amp/fat-not-glucose.aspx

There’s a shit ton of articles sayign the same thing, as normally there’s different opinions on the matter, From my experience, I don’t need to load up on carbs to have enough energy to grapple if I am fasting...

There are not different opinions you're misinterpreting what is being said.
This is from your information you just presented:

"....Because of this, the oxidation of fats takes longer, but it also gives off more energy"......well, if it takes longer can you rely on it for an immediate burst in say something like a blast double? No, you're going to use carbs.

Oxidation is being chemically combined with oxygen. This is exactly my point, fats are used for energy during low intensity activity, and during the Krebs Cycle. Krebs Cycle is aerobic respiration, jogging utilizes aerobic respiration. Low intensity duration activities fall into the Krebs Cycle.

When you need immediate energy to fuel something high intensity, anaerobic, you will utilize ATP PC. You will use carbs to fuel these activities at high intensities, not fat.

There may be crossover, which I believe I admitted to, however, when you need immediate energy such as in the case of high intensity, explosive short duration, definitive movements you will use carbohydrates.

The following is from your article that you presented me with:

"Time
Consequently, one of the advantages of glucose and other carbohydrates is that they can enter into the oxidation process much more quickly and provide energy more rapidly."
(http://dl.clackamas.edu/ch106-07/carbohyd1.htm)

My point is and will always be:

High intensity activities utilize carbs for fuel.
Low intensity activities utilize fats for fuel.

You have to put things into context. You do use fats as energy. However, different energy sources are used at different times, and intensities.

There is a healthline article about ketogenic diets. It had this to say about high intensity activities:

"Nevertheless these findings had less relevance for athletes performing high intensity activity...."

"At the present time, the research does not show that a low-carb or ketogenic diet can improve high intensity sports performance, compared to a high carb diet"
(https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-carb-diets-and-performance#section6)

Again, if you disagree do your own research from a reputable source, or get into the field and challenge the information we currently have.

"....Because of this, the oxidation of fats takes longer, but it also gives off more energy"......well, if it takes longer can you rely on it for an immediate burst in say something like a blast double? No, you're going to use carbs.

Oxidation is being chemically combined with oxygen. This is exactly my point, fats are used for energy during low intensity activity, and during the Krebs Cycle. Krebs Cycle is aerobic respiration, jogging utilizes aerobic respiration. Low intensity duration activities fall into the Krebs Cycle.

When you need immediate energy to fuel something high intensity, anaerobic, you will utilize ATP PC. You will use carbs to fuel these activities at high intensities, not fat.

There may be crossover, which I believe I admitted to, however, when you need immediate energy such as in the case of high intensity, explosive short duration, definitive movements you will use carbohydrates.

"Time
Consequently, one of the advantages of glucose and other carbohydrates is that they can enter into the oxidation process much more quickly and provide energy more rapidly."

You have to put things into context. You do use fats as energy. However, different energy sources are used at different times, and intensities.

There is a healthline article about ketogenic diets. It had this to say about high intensity activities:

"Nevertheless these findings had less relevance for athletes performing high intensity activity...."

"At the present time, the research does not show that a low-carb or ketogenic diet can improve high intensity sports performance, compared to a high carb diet"

Again, if you disagree do your own research from a reputable source, or get into the field and challenge the information we currently have.

Well, then may be I’m feeling great while grappling due to still using glucose from my last carb Injestion, which was around 14 hours prior... that will make sense.

Well, then may be I’m feeling great while grappling due to still using glucose from my last carb Injestion, which was around 14 hours prior... that will make sense.

I have a mid term next week in exercise physiology. You're actually helping me study for it tbh lol.

At least you don't blindly accept what people give you, you challenge it which makes for an informative and in this case lengthy debate. I don't accept what people tell me either without verification or at least strong credentials.

The thing with ketogenic diets is that there appears to be need of more research. I can make an estimation of why you're feeling the way you are, which can make sense, however you need to be studied to make a definitive answer.

That is why I legit encouraged you to get into the field, or volunteer for a study. That is what I'm going to school for now, because I want to be in a lab figuring this crap out. I don't know why it interests me but it does. lol

I have a mid term next week in exercise physiology. You're actually helping me study for it tbh lol.

At least you don't blindly accept what people give you, you challenge it which makes for an informative and in this case lengthy debate. I don't accept what people tell me either without verification or at least strong credentials.

The thing with ketogenic diets is that there appears to be need of more research. I can make an estimation of why you're feeling the way you are, which can make sense, however you need to be studied to make a definitive answer.

That is why I legit encouraged you to get into the field, or volunteer for a study. That is what I'm going to school for now, because I want to be in a lab figuring this crap out. I don't know why it interests me but it does. lol

I live in Paraguay bro, no one here is doing experiments lol... but It is an interesting subject...

"Time

This alone, is probably the most misunderstood and fundamental concept related to energy sourcing that the whole time restricting eating/ IF and VLCD or LC adherents often misquote or misrepresent.

People get bits and pieces of Cordain, Jaminet, Fung and the ideologies of someone like Sisson and end up believing in false statements but STILL SEE or FEEL good results because there is an aspect of their practice that works at a fundamental level. IMO, what most lay people feel are the overall systemic/metabolic beneifits of time restricted eating and the loss of adipose tissue (all benefits surrounding) without the horrible hunger pangs brought about by eating practices that don’t address appetite suppression.

*but yeah, high intensity demands carbohydrates and of course, there usually reliable source stored in the liver or what have you to meet these demands.

Back