Preserving The Arts

I'm so glad I don't live in America... I've lived in 3 different countries here in Europe and always had plenty of choices with legit instruction in pretty much any martial art I'd want.

funny-eagle-America-UK-pigeon-quote.jpg

"What'ever's on the boobtube's what I watch..."

I've said it a hundred times but most of American MA was cobbled together by service guys who'd deployed for a tour and trained a year. They came home, made up the rest from what they'd seen higher ranks doing but never been coached in the detail.

Many of the Korean, Japanese and probably Tai immigrants have the ingrained cultural reluctance to commercially publicize and operate on the tradition of students seeking them out or like me stumbling on them by accident, usually training and coaching in humble facilities few would notice. It's no wonder that in '93 the Gracie's "shocked" the country by having a developed skill passed down from a legit Japanese source they could commercialize and throw on the "tube" and make millions.

We ate it up watching guys roll around on the ground grabbing each other calling that "the best way to fight!"

The joke is that somehow thais become champions on the plane ride over here lol. Thats just a joke but there have been a handful of thais that have done the same thing. Come here and lie about their accomplishments, they can fool most the people as most dont know MT, but if you know a decent level, its easy to spot in how they coach. The MT community holds this stupid thought process of, oh if hes thai, he must know muay thai, or be good, or whatever, like being thai means something. It is the equivalent of assuming someone knows how to box because they are mexican, or knows BJJ cause they are brazilian.

The joke is that somehow thais become champions on the plane ride over here lol. Thats just a joke but there have been a handful of thais that have done the same thing. Come here and lie about their accomplishments, they can fool most the people as most dont know MT, but if you know a decent level, its easy to spot in how they coach. The MT community holds this stupid thought process of, oh if hes thai, he must know muay thai, or be good, or whatever, like being thai means something. It is the equivalent of assuming someone knows how to box because they are mexican, or knows BJJ cause they are brazilian.

How do Thais who don't know MT coach in America? (you say they're easy to spot because of how they coach)

To be honest, I'd rather learn from a Thai coach who has fought in the stadiums as opposed to a regional European champion. Of course if their accomplishments are not true it's a different story.

I'm being coached by 2 Thai guys, one who fought in Lumpini for several years and another who fought at local shows in Thailand when he was young but has had most of his career in Europe because his family moved here when he was in his teens. The way the class is structured and the depth of technical knowledge is quite different to other MT gyms I've been to. There's also a lot of Thai immigrants who train there. And it's always kinda special when hitting pads and they scream all kind of stuff in Thai :)

How do Thais who don't know MT coach in America? (you say they're easy to spot because of how they coach)

To be honest, I'd rather learn from a Thai coach who has fought in the stadiums as opposed to a regional European champion. Of course if their accomplishments are not true it's a different story.

I'm being coached by 2 Thai guys, one who fought in Lumpini for several years and another who fought at local shows in Thailand when he was young but has had most of his career in Europe because his family moved here when he was in his teens. The way the class is structured and the depth of technical knowledge is quite different to other MT gyms I've been to. There's also a lot of Thai immigrants who train there. And it's always kinda special when hitting pads and they scream all kind of stuff in Thai :)

i think you missed my point.

I suck in math, if I lied to you and said I was great in math, and then tried to teach you math, you would probably catch on real quick Im full of shit. Maybe I could fool you if you were a beginner in math, but not if you were at a higher level or had a very solid understanding of all the math concepts.

There are alot of things I see getting taught, that I view as fancy BS that would not work or really translate into using in a fight. The people that lie about their accomplishments and coach, you can find teaching this kinda stuff quite a bit, because they dont have the fight exp or concept down.

Race has nothing to do with the skill level or coaching ability. theres a difference between a thai that fought at local stadiums, and a thai that has not fought at local stadiums but claims to be a MT guru for the simple fact they are thai. No I dont want to learn from you because of your race, I want to learn from you because of your experience and accomplishments regardless of race. So I would prefer to learn from "black dynamite" for example, than a thai who says hey guys, im thai, i know muay thai because im thai, i never fought in thailand, but im thai so listen to me.

going off a thai know muay thai just because they are thai is like saying hey black guy teach me basketball because your black, or hey white guy teach me golf because your white....the whole muay thai community puts this big huge "official seal of approval" on anyone who is thai, for the simple fact they are thai. I dont buy into it.

i think you missed my point.

I suck in math, if I lied to you and said I was great in math, and then tried to teach you math, you would probably catch on real quick Im full of shit. Maybe I could fool you if you were a beginner in math, but not if you were at a higher level or had a very solid understanding of all the math concepts.

There are alot of things I see getting taught, that I view as fancy BS that would not work or really translate into using in a fight. The people that lie about their accomplishments and coach, you can find teaching this kinda stuff quite a bit, because they dont have the fight exp or concept down.

Race has nothing to do with the skill level or coaching ability. theres a difference between a thai that fought at local stadiums, and a thai that has not fought at local stadiums but claims to be a MT guru for the simple fact they are thai. No I dont want to learn from you because of your race, I want to learn from you because of your experience and accomplishments regardless of race. So I would prefer to learn from "black dynamite" for example, than a thai who says hey guys, im thai, i know muay thai because im thai, i never fought in thailand, but im thai so listen to me.

going off a thai know muay thai just because they are thai is like saying hey black guy teach me basketball because your black, or hey white guy teach me golf because your white....the whole muay thai community puts this big huge "official seal of approval" on anyone who is thai, for the simple fact they are thai. I dont buy into it.

I don't disagree with any of that. Man don't mean to rub it in but so happy to be in Europe and not USA for martial arts haha

Back