President Trump: Creation of Space Force, 6th Branch of US Military

This is objectively the coolest thing a President has ever done.
Really.
president-john-f-kennedy.jpg

Gonna be a pretty boring military unit

The Outer Space Treaty represents the basic legal framework of international space law. Among its principles, it bars states party to the treaty from placing weapons of mass destruction in Earth orbit, installing them on the Moon or any other celestial body, or otherwise stationing them in outer space. It exclusively limits the use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes and expressly prohibits their use for testing weapons of any kind, conducting military maneuvers, or establishing military bases, installations, and fortifications (Article IV).

Only problem is that whole international treaty about not weaponizing space that we kinda ratified.

Kinda hard to create a space army when you explicitly said you wouldn't do that. If we make actual moves to do so, we're going to face widespread international censure from allies and enemies alike. It's a needless escalation that only further serves to drive the point home that our word as a country isn't worth absolute shit. You guys have no idea the damage that's being done not only to our international standing, but our ability to even negotiate within that international framework. We already had one dipshit in here saying that he would piss on the constitution if it was expedient for him, we're just gonna concede the credibility of the US as well as any calls for peace too, huh?
Not to mention the idiots saying they don't care what other countries think about the US.

I can't remember who it was but they were arguing we already have a decent amount of money going to space for NASA if they would stop trying to compete with Musk and Bezo in rockets. He said they should focus on other expensive challenges like mining equipment for meteors or a base on the moon for a plausible trip to mars. The free market shit on NASA by upgrading their 30 year old rocket tech and they are now trying to make up for it after the fact.
No, you don't have a decent amount of money going to NASA. The armed forces have vastly larger space budgets. They tried to give NASA 2 hand me down Hubble-class space telescopes and NASA couldn't afford the upkeep on them, so they can't even afford the stuff the air force throws away. If they even had half again as much over their current budget, they could do a lot more.

On the other hand, rockets from private industry haven't been viable for sending up vital space kit until very recently. Look at how many of Musk's blew up.

That's why I say, @HereticBD there's nothing cool about this announcement from Trump because it already exists in all but name.

D I S T R A C T I O N

First time I can remember where the president’s distraction move was officially announcing something his youngest son proposed.

I’m sure the kid came back later to tell dad he realized it wasn’t a good idea, but it was too late. It’s always too late now.

I’m kidding of course. I don’t think Trump even talks to the kid.

Space Force? Just give him the damn Nobel Peace prize now!!

Do you have to be an astronaut to be a field officer?

Can we just give NASA more money instead? I feel like that would be more useful.

Did he just call the Air Force and Space Force "separate but equal"? Lol. He's such a strange guy.

Did he just call the Air Force and Space Force "separate but equal"? Lol. He's such a strange guy.
He's also wrong, LOL.

How in the blue fuck are they equals? We have one space station, it's not even ours alone, it has no military capabilities, and it can only be accessed from earth-based launch sites. Those are controlled by earth-based forces like the Air Force. If you don't control the land, you don't control space. Satellites are also operated remotely from these sites.

It's like calling the Marines and the Army "separate but equal". No, they're fucking not. Marines are a more elite general force. First in, last out. But they don't conquer continents.

The more he talks the more it becomes clear he doesn't know anything about anything about anything about anything.

No, you don't have a decent amount of money going to NASA. The armed forces have vastly larger space budgets. They tried to give NASA 2 hand me down Hubble-class space telescopes and NASA couldn't afford the upkeep on them, so they can't even afford the stuff the air force throws away. If they even had half again as much over their current budget, they could do a lot more.

On the other hand, rockets from private industry haven't been viable for sending up vital space kit until very recently. Look at how many of Musk's blew up.

That's why I say, @HereticBD there's nothing cool about this announcement from Trump because it already exists in all but name.

Yea, I was wondering if having a defense budget towards it would've possibly been better but I guess they already do that.

He's also wrong, LOL.

How in the blue fuck are they equals? We have one space station, it's not even ours alone, it has no military capabilities, and it can only be accessed from earth-based launch sites. Those are controlled by earth-based forces like the Air Force. If you don't control the land, you don't control space. Satellites are also operated remotely from these sites.

It's like calling the Marines and the Army "separate but equal". No, they're fucking not. Marines are a more elite general force. First in, last out. But they don't conquer continents.

The more he talks the more it becomes clear he doesn't know anything about anything about anything about anything.
Marines are more elite in what regard? They bring less to an assault table in virtually every regard. Less organic fire support, less mobility both tactically and strategically. They are in essence based around being a light infantry force (similar to the 10th) but utilized as if they were a conventional infantry formation. When the Marines got tasked with operation phantom fury, they relied on the Army and Air Force to provide the extra support they lacked for the purpose. Had, for example, the 2nd IF been tasked with the same, they would have had all the necessary attached units to conduct the operation without making it a massive interservice joint circle fuck.

Marines are more elite in what regard? They bring less to an assault table in virtually every regard. Less organic fire support, less mobility both tactically and strategically. They are in essence based around being a light infantry force (similar to the 10th) but utilized as if they were a conventional infantry formation. When the Marines got tasked with operation phantom fury, they relied on the Army and Air Force to provide the extra support they lacked for the purpose. Had, for example, the 2nd IF been tasked with the same, they would have had all the necessary attached units to conduct the operation without making it a massive interservice joint circle fuck.
LOL, I hit a trigger.

Save it for the grunts. You can interpret that as, "More elite at dying", since you're clearly an Army man. It's an anti-mutineer force. It all grew out of that niche. The Marines aren't conquering the Army. That was my big picture. Quibble with the rest of it.

He's also wrong, LOL.

As @Roaming East said, the Marines aren't really an "elite" force. They are a light infantry force designed to invade. Their logistical support is designed to last them 3 whole days, meaning that they aren't designed to do long operations on their own. They are primarily an infantry force with a little bit of air support, and they rely pretty heavily on the Navy for fire support and logistics, which makes sense, given that the Marines doing the invading are going to be coming from boats. If you're interested, you can check out Marine Expeditionary Units.

The Army, on the other hand, is designed for the long haul. Our command structures put all the units that we will need under one organization, meaning that we can generally get what we need when we need it. We also don't rely on other branches to do things for us. Since we don't plan together, we typically can't get those assets unless we schedule them way ahead of time.

He's also wrong, LOL.

Or saying the Coastguard is equal to the Navy. No offence to the Puddle Pirates, of course:)

As @Roaming East said, the Marines aren't really an "elite" force. They are a light infantry force designed to invade. Their logistical support is designed to last them 3 whole days, meaning that they aren't designed to do long operations on their own. They are primarily an infantry force with a little bit of air support, and they rely pretty heavily on the Navy for fire support and logistics, which makes sense, given that the Marines doing the invading are going to be coming from boats. If you're interested, you can check out Marine Expeditionary Units.

The Army, on the other hand, is designed for the long haul. Our command structures put all the units that we will need under one organization, meaning that we can generally get what we need when we need it. We also don't rely on other branches to do things for us. Since we don't plan together, we typically can't get those assets unless we schedule them way ahead of time.

As the old joke goes, MARINE stands for, "My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment";)

I think you guys are interpreting "elite" more within the context of military capability when I was referencing attrition rates (most acutely within the general body, not more specialized forces):
https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/ftpdocs/76xx/doc7626/10-05-recruiting.pdf

Marines are better careerists, but historically, they have had higher initial attrition rates. I didn't check, it's in that PDF, but if memory serves me correctly, we spend more on average training per Marine recruit than Army recruit.

If this has changed, and the Army boot camp is considered more difficult or extensive than the Marine one, I stand corrected. I know the gender thing has changed standards and practices a lot since I came out of high school.

Back