President Trump Hosts the California Sanctuary State Roundtable

I'm curious to know what it is about illegals that the common man hates so much? What is it you are rallying against? How do these people have an impact on you?

Ah, so the AP still has some integrity.

Yet 20% are living below the poverty line, they have the most homeless people. Is the number of poor people increasing or decreased?

CA's poverty rate ranks 21st. The population is growing but the percentage of people who are poor is falling.

For median, COLA income, California is 27th if we include D.C.

So middle of the pack.

Without researching it, I'll wager it's among the top five in terms of income inequality.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/us-states-by-gini-coefficient.html

Seventh by that measure. Though the huge mix of local economies probably explains some of that.

Anyway, CA isn't perfect (housing policy is disastrously bad--everything else is pretty damned good), but Nostra is just repeating obvious bullshit.

Nancy Pelosi argues that it makes California safer by encouraging illegal aliens to report crimes. The idea is that if these aliens do not need to fear being deported themselves, then they will be more willing to talk to police about what they have seen.

There ought to be data to support or contradict this by now, right? Santuary cities have been at it for a while now, haven't they? Anybody seen any figures showing an increase or not in immigrants reporting crimes?

There ought to be data to support or contradict this by now, right? Santuary cities have been at it for a while now, haven't they? Anybody seen any figures showing an increase or not in immigrants reporting crimes?

Probably hard to study because "sanctuary city" can mean a lot of different things. Only thing I've seen is this:

https://www.americanprogress.org/is...-sanctuary-policies-on-crime-and-the-economy/

Among the main findings:

• There are, on average, 35.5 fewer crimes committed per 10,000 people in sanctuary counties compared to nonsanctuary counties.
  • Median household annual income is, on average, $4,353 higher in sanctuary counties compared to nonsanctuary counties.
  • The poverty rate is 2.3 percent lower, on average, in sanctuary counties compared to nonsanctuary counties.
  • Unemployment is, on average, 1.1 percent lower in sanctuary counties compared to nonsanctuary counties.
  • While the results hold true across sanctuary jurisdictions, the sanctuary counties with the smallest populations see the most pronounced effects.
The Major Cities Chiefs Association put out a statement on immigration policy, but it's not a data-based argument:

https://www.majorcitieschiefs.com/pdf/news/2013_immigration_policy.pdf

The foundation of the Major Cities Chiefs Association’s nine point position statement is based upon five key concerns with local police enforcing federal immigration law. These concerns are:
1. It undermines the trust and cooperation with immigrant communities which are essential elements of community oriented policing.
2. Local agencies do not possess adequate resources to enforce these laws in addition to the added responsibility of homeland security.
3. Immigration laws are very complex and the training required to understand them significantly detracts from the core mission of local police to create safe communities.
4. Local police do not possess clear authority to enforce the civil aspects of these laws. If given the authority, the federal government does not have the capacity to handle the volume of immigration violations that currently exist.
5. The lack of clear authority increases the risk of civil liability for local police and government.

I wouldn't regard the matter as closed from an evidence-based standpoint, but the thinking in support of some level of "sanctuary policy" makes sense to me.

Back