Pressure on knee when finishing knee cut.

JagRoss

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
When finishing the knee cut (freeing the foot after touching the knee to the ground) as I start to slide my knee sideways, I feel pressure on my knee.

Was just wondering if anyone had thoughts or mechanical corrections.

When finishing the knee cut (freeing the foot after touching the knee to the ground) as I start to slide my knee sideways, I feel pressure on my knee.

Was just wondering if anyone had thoughts or mechanical corrections.
Turn your hips more so they're in line with your knee. If they're gripping your foot tight enough that there's still torque as you attempt to complete the pass, use your free foot to pry his legs apart. Be prepared for them to use this narrowing of your base as an attempt to bridge and create a scramble - just quickly re-widen your base and keep their shoulders flat with your upper body control if they release half and try to explode out.

If even that doesn't work, hip sit to face his hips Marcelo-style or backstep over to inverted half guard on the other side.

addendum - you do have your knee free, right? just wanted to check.

Ok thanks- I’ll play around with that.

Yes knee is free, it’s just when the foot is trapped and trying to slide that I feel pressure.

This is primarily from the underhook + cross face type knee slide where you’re in a very close halfguard.
No problems with the marcelo over under (sprawling with overhook and underhook).

Turn your hips more so they're in line with your knee. If they're gripping your foot tight enough that there's still torque as you attempt to complete the pass, use your free foot to pry his legs apart. Be prepared for them to use this narrowing of your base as an attempt to bridge and create a scramble - just quickly re-widen your base and keep their shoulders flat with your upper body control if they release half and try to explode out.

If even that doesn't work, hip sit to face his hips Marcelo-style or backstep over to inverted half guard on the other side.

addendum - you do have your knee free, right? just wanted to check.

The type of half guard pass where you would typically go to mount.

I’ve been messing around with switching back to the same side knee slide and then I feel pressure.

A detail I recently got for this pass is not to try to pull your foot out. Focus more on extending your knee downward. Imagine a big exaggerated step as if you're running. Say you're passing to the left. So left foot is posted, right is trapped, you're looking to the left. The motion isn't to lift your right knee toward your chest, you want to actually push back the other way with it, and if anything go down, pass over their shin, not through the crook of their knee. This should completely remove pressure from your knee.

Damn OK I just noticed we're talking about two different passes. My description is for a knee slide moving to side control.

Damn OK I just noticed we're talking about two different passes. My description is for a knee slide moving to side control.

No that’s right - I’m talking about the knee slide to side control. Thanks will give it a shot as well.

Back