Prime BJ does not beat any current top 10 LW.

Would be hilarious to see someone like Pettis move up to WW ten years ago to fight a prime GSP. Would've had the first death in the octagon.

Print original post out, take to disability office, file claim, and collect money for the rest of your life for being retarded.

Rory+MacDonald+Poorly+Ali+Shuffles+-+UFC+on+Fox+5.gif

"Penn's boxing is so good" that he made Rory look like Muhammad Ali and Roy Jones Jr. at the same time.

Last edited:
That is a lot of time wasted on something that doesn’t even matter.

BJ, like every other "legend" on here is completely overrated. Not beating any top 10 is a bit of stretch though.

BJ, like every other "legend" on here is completely overrated. Not beating any top 10 is a bit of stretch though.

I agree with you when you consider how much the sport has grown, but then it's only fair to take a legend at their very best and BJ's peak was no joke.

I'm not a Penn fan at all, but as much as I hate to admit it, Penn is the LW GOAT. No one has the quality of competition that Penn faced. His losses were at other weight classes (i.e. vs Machida or vs GSP) and many were very close.

Fuck TS and this stupid thread.

I still can’t believe BJ not only beat Jon Fitch but fucking outwrestled him too.

I agree with you when you consider how much the sport has grown, but then it's only fair to take a legend at their very best and BJ's peak was no joke.

It wasn't. He was definitely ahead of his time, but the LW division is very competitive. More so than ever before. It's very tough to break in the top 5, much less stay there.

Gave GSP all he could handle the first time round.
display_image.jpg

You're a noob who doesn't know his history.

Without the eye poke (that sent GSP to the hospital) it would have not been a close fight

Prime is so subjective. Which BJ is "prime BJ". The one who beat Diego and Florian in 2009 ? The one that beat Pulelver stevenson and Sherk form 2007- 2008? The 1 that finished Gomi Hughes and Ludwig in a row in 2003 ? Any of those BJ could compete with all of them. He had an Iron Chin crisp boxing good TDD and good BJJ.

My take

Khabib would maul BJ
1 Conor McGregor (Conor wins)
2 Tony Ferguson (Same as Nate fight, BJ loses)
3 Dustin Poirier (Toss up)
4 Eddie Alvarez (Bj wins)
5 Kevin Lee (BJ gets mauled)
6 Edson Barboza (Toss up imo)
7 Justin Gaethje (Gathje wins)
8 Anthony Pettis (BJ wins)
9 Al Iaquinta (BJ wins)
10 Nate Diaz (BJ loses, cardio machines are his weakness)
11 Michael Chiesa (BJ Wins)
12 James Vick (Bj Wins)
13 Alexander Hernandez (BJ wins)
14 Dan Hooker (BJ Wins)
15 Islam Makhachev (BJ Wins)

LOL at you thinkng Nate fucking Diaz would beat Penn. Penn in his prime never gassed at LW and Penn is better everywhere then Nate

This is such a bad argument, because it neglects to factor in the evolution of MMA. Would BJ Penn as he was in his prime lose to the top 10 MMA currently? Probably.

But the real argument any NON-RETARD should consider is the following: Would BJ Penn with a modern MMA education beat the top 10 LW's? Absolutely. There are guys today that have been training MMA since they were 10 years old. BJ Penn just didn't have that option when he was growing up.

BJ Penn was an absolute athletic freak, had a freak chin, and natural KO power in his hands. Anyone that thinks if BJ Penn grew up today that he *wouldn't* be a LW champion is deluding themselves.

He went through Matt Hughes like a hot knife through butter. Think about that for a sec. You think a guy that just sliced and diced Hughes like that, can't beat most of the guys today? Jesus. Also, his first fight with GSP--he beats everyone in the world that day, except St. Pierre. This was just the bigger human theory at play. Lastly, rewatch the Gomi fight. This was when Gomi was at his own best, and he was nothing for BJ to take down and smash.

YOu don't know what you are talking about, dude bro.

1 Conor McGregor Conor. Too much reach, speed and power. KO within 3
2 Tony Ferguson Tony. Too big, well-rounded, durable, reach. UD or late finish
3 Dustin Poirier BJ wins. Too skilled for Dustin
4 Eddie Alvarez 50/50 Eddie is pretty fucking big and is well rounded.
5 Kevin Lee Kevin. Kevin is too big, strong, well-rounded and has a huge reach
6 Edson Barboza Barboza. Speed and striking difference is too much
7 Justin Gaethje Gaethje. Too big, wrestling is too good, too durable
8 Anthony Pettis BJ wins. Too skilled, size differential will not be enough to negate that
9 Al Iaquinta BJ wins. Better fighter everywhere
10 Nate Diaz 50/50 BJ is a better fighter but Nate's big and durable
11 Michael Chiesa BJ wins. Chiesa is big but not skilled enough to hang with him.
12 James Vick BJ wins. Huge size disadvantage but not enough to overcome skill disparity.
13 Alexander Hernandez I honestly don't know who this is. Not even kidding.
14 Dan Hooker BJ wins. Dan is massive and has the reach but BJ is too skilled for him.
15 Islam Makhachev I don't know who this is. Have heard of him and seen him fight but can't recall anything about his fights.

Too long didn't read. BJ beats Poirier, Pettis, Iaquinta, Chiesa, Vick and Hooker. 50/50 fights are Alvarez and Diaz, everyone else beats him because they're too big as well as being skilled fighters.

In summation: The current era of Lightweight MMA has much larger fighters who are equal or more skilled than BJ's contemporaries. MMA athletes have evolved and the game has passed him by. It's sad to say but it's a fact of life in all athletic endeavours.

Back