Prime GSP vs Woodley ... who wins?

What is even more limited than GSPs offensive boxing is his defensive boxing. That's what would make the difference vs Woodley.

But as I have stated several times on Sherdog, GSP relies on building off of his jab. If he can't establish a jab and the TD threat is gone, any dangerous striker would light him up.

He struggled once his jab and TD were taken away vs Johny. A much less skilled striker was outstriking GSP and even establishing his own jab even though Johny's jab is one of his worst aspects being a left centered southpaw, unlike Diaz who is a jab centered southpaw. He struggled to fight outside of his bread and butter, once Johny slowed he went back to what he knows.

Most of his defensive tactics are to shoot a TD or clinch up and he tends to reach for the clinch leaving him very open for shots.

Woodley actually has the ability to adjust and adapt mid fight without his corner telling him so. GSP almost lacks that ability almost entirely mostly because he comes from such a gameplan centered camp for years he always relied on it.

In my opinion, Woodley would catch him. He is faster and hits much harder than Bisping who was landing often on GSP before he used the TD threat to land a big left hook. It would only be a matter of time until he caught GSP with something heavy.

People like you don't like to admit it but GSP has fought mostly 1 dimensional fighters or fighters with very glaring holes in their game. That's 90% of his entire career. You probably think he has been clean his whole career too huh?

That last sentence says it all. You are biased.

It wasn’t insulting him, it was a rebuttal to the statement of how good woodley is (isn’t in actuality) in adjusting his game plan, it also worked wonders with maia right?

Go watch George’s rematch against Hughes there was some great dynamic striking used there. Hughes had no idea what to do and looked dumbfounded.

Woodley dominated Maia what are you talking about? Even with an injury he still didn't make any adjustments and won one of the most boring fights of all time.

GSP outstruck Hughes? Lol wow I bet Woodley is trembling at the thought of fighting that George. You must have a better argument than that.

If the takedown threat was there for Hughes, Hendricks, Koscheck, Fitch and Shields, what makes you think it wouldn't be there for Woodley?

Because he has better TDD than them for one.

For two, he is more well rounded than every single one of those fighters.

Woodley does well when he controls the pace and the output is low, and when he's on top wrestling you. GSP would allow him neither. He'd be jabbing him, pressuring him and would most certainly take him down. If Woodley lands a bomb it could make things interesting, but we've seen GSP recover before and continue on to dominate.

I don’t think I’ve heard Rory’s jab is supposed to be better, if that’s an opinion it must be a very unpopular one , like it’s yours and yours alone.

Yes... that's why I said it's unpopular opinion? Lol are you following ok?

GSP times his stiff jab better than Rory but Rory has a more versatile jab, feints it better and more often, doubles up/changes levels with his jab more often, and while GSP has a high landing percentage with his jab, Rorys is more constant and creates more openings.

That last sentence says it all. You are biased.

I'm not biased I'm just not an idiot.

George and almost all of his opponents have been on something at some point. To think GSP is some saint amongst competitors with his shady past is what is bias.

Woodley is a total mediocrity, so the answer is pretty obvious.

I mean, look at him...

nkjVUpN.gif

Woodley dominated Maia what are you talking about? Even with an injury he still didn't make any adjustments and won one of the most boring fights of all time.

GSP outstruck Hughes? Lol wow I bet Woodley is trembling at the thought of fighting that George. You must have a better argument than that.

Wouldbe didn’t do shit in that fight, have you ever seen GSP in a fight that boring they aren’t even on the same level.

Because he has better TDD than them for one.

For two, he is more well rounded than every single one of those fighters.

He has better TDD based on what? Who has he fought that’s even comparable to GSP in TD’s let alone skills?

Wouldbe didn’t do shit in that fight, have you ever seen GSP in a fight that boring they aren’t even on the same level.

Yes Woodley's last 2 fights are much more boring than GSPs 20 something fight career.

That doesn't negate anything I've said.

Nobody beats prime GSP....even Ben Askren has admitted that prime GSP beats him.

LIke Chael said.....GSP beat everyone of the previous generations, everyone of the current generation and everyone of the new generation. And most of these victories were flawless victories.....not even close. IMO, that's what sets GSP apart from the other Goats. He completely shut people down until towards the end of his career.

Nobody beats prime GSP....even Ben Askren has admitted that prime GSP beats him.

LIke Chael said.....GSP beat everyone of the previous generations, everyone of the current generation and everyone of the new generation. And most of these victories were flawless victories.....not even close. IMO, that's what sets GSP apart from the other Goats. He completely shut people down until towards the end of his career.

Cheal , shad and several other bigger fighters that have trained with him that had good tdd all say the same thing, if he gets ahold of you and wants you to go down, your going down.

If he can throw Cheal on his ass, you can guarantee he can throw wouldbe on his ass too.

Or just stop all his td’s and jab his ass with his back against the cage like Rory or storm him like marquart.

He lit herion up, if he wants to he can

Yes Woodley's last 2 fights are much more boring than GSPs 20 something fight career.

That doesn't negate anything I've said.

Yes it does, it shows woodley has problems with some types of fighters and stalls when things don’t go easy for him.

George never , ever does this.

I'm not biased I'm just not an idiot.

George and almost all of his opponents have been on something at some point. To think GSP is some saint amongst competitors with his shady past is what is bias.

Who did he beat that you are a fan of?

Who did he beat that you are a fan of?

Because that's the only way I can get to that conclusion huh? Lol you don't seem ready to accept the information I was about to present you. I will let you continue to watch the sport for a while longer, go to a gym, mess with some peds, and you will start noticing things as well as his shady past with drug tests.

You have your mind made up and are just drawing the discussion away from where it was going. "Which fighter(that you just called limited/one dimensional/glaring holes)did he beat that you like?" Come on pal, you don't have that short of a memory do you?

Because that's the only way I can get to that conclusion huh? Lol you don't seem ready to accept the information I was about to present you. I will let you continue to watch the sport for a while longer, go to a gym, mess with some peds, and you will start noticing things as well as his shady past with drug tests.

You have your mind made up and are just drawing the discussion away from where it was going. "Which fighter(that you just called limited/one dimensional/glaring holes)did he beat that you like?" Come on pal, you don't have that short of a memory do you?

You seem to be really invested in this back and forth.

I'd have to go with Georges St. Pierre. In his prime, he had a better workrate, better jab, just more ways to win it than Woodley.

Really I don't think Woodley would have much for him when GSP would find a way to negate his big right hand. Speed is the one thing I think Tyron has on his side, but the technique, the unpredictableness goes to Georges.

St. Pierre W5 Woodley

I don't think Woodley is any better than he was in the Strikeforce days, other than fighting a bit more conserved. I think the quality at WW has dropped a bit since GSP left, and present-day Woodley would maybe be a top 10 WW fighter in 2010.

Back