Prime Tournament: Saenchai, diselnoi, Samart, Apidet, Somrak, Petrosyan, Buakaw and Sittchai

Dieselnoi, I don't see anyone "having his number" so to speak, whereas everyone else seems to have an obvious foil in the list.

I think he just brings too much brutality and raw force to the table, walking forward constantly, kneeing people's stomachs into their spines. What a scary individual.

Sakmonkol does very well too I think, as does Orono.

Petrosyan would get far further into this than I think people realise. He has fought full thai rules numerous times and his whole game is built around controlling distance and pushing opponents with both hands and teeps into that distance. It's very rare you see him even get clinched. I'd be MORE interested to see how he deals with the longer rounds than clinch.

Petrosyan would get far further into this than I think people realise.
I doubt it. Depends who he fights first. If they throw Diselnoi at him he's over. He could beat sittichai or buakaw but under mt rules that's a big ask.

He has fought full thai rules numerous times
So have I. But there's levels to it. Arguably more levels than there is to mma and boxing.

It's very rare you see him even get clinched. I'd be MORE interested to see how he deals with the longer rounds than clinch.
Because a lot of his "muaythai" fights have been under modified rules in Europe. The one time he fought a good opponent in the stadiums he lost. A guy called Nonthanan Por. Pramuk who I'm sure clinched the hell out of him.

Petrosyan would get far further into this than I think people realise. He has fought full thai rules numerous times and his whole game is built around controlling distance and pushing opponents with both hands and teeps into that distance. It's very rare you see him even get clinched. I'd be MORE interested to see how he deals with the longer rounds than clinch.

Saenchai has some of the best teeps and footwork in muay thai but it didn't stop Petboonchu and Yodwicha from walking him down and clinching him.

A guy called Nonthanan Por. Pramuk who I'm sure clinched the hell out of him.

And you know this based on what evidence?

Saenchai has some of the best teeps and footwork in muay thai but it didn't stop Petboonchu and Yodwicha from walking him down and clinching him.

There are a few points worth considering here, the first is that Petrosyan is probably the better of the two when talking purely punching and kicking - the second is that Saenchai was at a weight disadvantage against Petchboonchu who is one of, if not the best clinch fighter of the last ten years.

The one time he fought a good opponent in the stadiums he lost. A guy called Nonthanan Por. Pramuk who I'm sure clinched the hell out of him.
1*rYQsaAneFKgz8PhGdtoQyw.jpeg

There are a few points worth considering here, the first is that Petrosyan is probably the better of the two when talking purely punching and kicking - the second is that Saenchai was at a weight disadvantage against Petchboonchu who is one of, if not the best clinch fighter of the last ten years.
Punching sure, but probably not kicking. The kicks that work in kickboxing don't necessarily work in muay thai. The scoring is different and balance plays a very important role. I can't see petrosyan winning kick exchanges with these thais. He'd probably get countered way too often or swept of the floor. I don't really see him winning other than by using his punching skills.

Gotta echo these guys. Rico wouldn't be completely lost in the boxing ring. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rico get late into a fight boxing with Joshua even if he was on the losing end of each round, add low kicks and the fact kickboxing bouts are much shorter - I don't see AJ getting much done.

3 minutes later...

The one time he fought a good opponent in the stadiums he lost. A guy called Nonthanan Por. Pramuk who I'm sure clinched the hell out of him.

Actually I've heard from different sources including Petrosyan himself that Nonthanan dominated with teeps and kept distant from Petrosyan as much as possible (the opposite of close range and clinch).

And? Round time and ring generalship matter. My argument is that petro does better than expected, not win.

You dismiss Joshua's chances to beat Verhoeven in kickboxing because he wouldn't know what to do with the different attacks, but you like Petrosyan's chances against historically great muay thai fighters because he fought a few Thais a long time ago.

How do you get to very different outcomes when the two situations are very similar?

I can't believe no one mentions Yodsanklai but always mention Sittichai or Buakaw.

I have watched all fights of Sittichai vs Marat Grigorian and they were all very close, however when i watched the Yodsanklai vs Marat Grigorian, Yod dismantled him more than Sittichai ever has.

To me Yodsanklai will always be better than Sittichai and Buakaw.

You dismiss Joshua's chances to beat Verhoeven in kickboxing because he wouldn't know what to do with the different attacks, but you like Petrosyan's chances against historically great muay thai fighters because he fought a few Thais a long time ago.

How do you get to very different outcomes when the two situations are very similar?
if Joshua had experience checking low kicks my opinion would likely be different.

I can't believe no one mentions Yodsanklai but always mention Sittichai or Buakaw.

I have watched all fights of Sittichai vs Marat Grigorian and they were all very close, however when i watched the Yodsanklai vs Marat Grigorian, Yod dismantled him more than Sittichai ever has.

To me Yodsanklai will always be better than Sittichai and Buakaw.
He didn't rack up as many Kickboxing accomplishments. Wasted a big chunk of his post stadium career beating up guys that didn't belong in the ring with him.

He didn't rack up as many Kickboxing accomplishments. Wasted a big chunk of his post stadium career beating up guys that didn't belong in the ring with him.

I actually prefer to see Yodsanklai fight guys in full muay thai rules instead of kickboxing. Going to be honest Yod's kickboxing isn't that good. But in muay thai and especially how he use his boxing and elbows makes him a legend. Not to mention his left leg kick

I actually prefer to see Yodsanklai fight guys in full muay thai rules instead of kickboxing. Going to be honest Yod's kickboxing isn't that good. But in muay thai and especially how he use his boxing and elbows makes him a legend. Not to mention his left leg kick
The problem is that at his weight Muay Thai lacks depth. Once you outgrow the stadiums you pretty much have to fight in Kickboxing to face better opposition.

Back