Prince dead

Yeah I wouldn't rule out anything for Prince, 57 is young especially for a rich guy. Either way yeah I will remember his unique style & arguably underrated guitar shredding.
Age of death and height are the same.

M6YxxLe.jpg

Great musician; but since everyone is kissing his ass, and since his family probably doesn't post here, here is a little balance: Trent Reznor from NIN in 1994, talking about meeting Prince.

"Prince was working in the same studio here the first day I came in, and one of his techs said to me: "Hey, Prince likes your stuff, he had your Broken CD in the car, and he later actually told his people to mix their tracks harder, and it might have been due to hearing Broken." I thought they were kidding, because this is a guy whose work I respect immensely. I figured it might just be cool to say 'hi' if I ran into him around the studio. Soon after that I find myself at one end of a big long hallway, and he's at the other end, walking towards me. So I simply said "Hi", and waited for him to make eye contact. He just turned his head away, and walked past me. That strikes a wrong chord in my Midwestern upbringing, regarding simple human decency. I don't mean to sound judgemental, but I've no great desire to meet Bowie now, because in my mind, I'd rather think of him as this cool guy."

Ironically, Trent would later go on to not only meet Bowie, but get invited on a very successful tour with him, and become friends for life, even getting advice from David to clean up his act. Because Bowie was apparently a really nice guy. Prince... not so much.

idk anything about prince, but from what i hear from kevin smith, is not that great.

but still R.I.P

idk anything about prince, but from what i hear from kevin smith, is not that great.

but still R.I.P
And Adam Carolla thinks that Kevin Smith is a dickhead.

I bet Prince didn't like Carolla.

The circle of life is complete

I tend to read this site more than post, but the thread has inspired me to share some memories.

Back in 2011 I was 17 years old and a big fan of Prince. He was the transition from lighter, safer pop like MJ into more adult material. Seeing how wild he was in the 80s, it made a lot of the stuff my high school peers were listening to seem tame and damn near prudish. I was playing shit like Head and Do It All Night to chicks when I started dating, and the girls who couldn't deal weren't worth the time.

To the shock of my local county, Prince announced a show at the Greensboro Coliseum. It seemed unreal that a guitar God would play some plain place in North Carolina, and thus ticket demand was hot. The night before the concert my Grandad surprised me and my older bro with a pair of tickets, and even better, we had just nabbed some ganja for the weekend.

So we decided to make a phat blunt and get super stoned just before walking into the concert.

I've never seen a more concentrated amount of euphoria and insanity than in that coliseum. Prince starts crawling on his piano and the women go nuts. During Let's Go Crazy my ass started getting heart palpitations, the excitement was that extreme and I was high as hell.

Everybody there were legit fans too, they knew the words of even his obscure tunes verbatim. He ended up playing an extended 20 minute version of Purple Rain, and I gotta say, the guitar solo on the outro seemed to warp time. Never seen a human manipulate a musical instrument like that before. It was better than the record, and put the super bowl version to shame.

There was not one, but two encores. At the nights end even Prince was like "Y'all know how to party out here in Greensboro! We're playing here again!"

Sadly that won't be the case. As a younger guy I'm just happy I had the chance to see a 20th century titan in the flesh and live. Greatest concert of my life, and easily highest I've ever been. And I shared it with my brother at that.

RIP

You should post more. You know how to use grammar and paragraphs.

He made hits like it was easy. He wrote this one for Apollonia 6, but gave it to the Bangles instead because he had a crush on Susanna Hoffs. LOL

Can you blame him? She is hot.

Great musician; but since everyone is kissing his ass, and since his family probably doesn't post here, here is a little balance: Trent Reznor from NIN in 1994, talking about meeting Prince.

"Prince was working in the same studio here the first day I came in, and one of his techs said to me: "Hey, Prince likes your stuff, he had your Broken CD in the car, and he later actually told his people to mix their tracks harder, and it might have been due to hearing Broken." I thought they were kidding, because this is a guy whose work I respect immensely. I figured it might just be cool to say 'hi' if I ran into him around the studio. Soon after that I find myself at one end of a big long hallway, and he's at the other end, walking towards me. So I simply said "Hi", and waited for him to make eye contact. He just turned his head away, and walked past me. That strikes a wrong chord in my Midwestern upbringing, regarding simple human decency. I don't mean to sound judgemental, but I've no great desire to meet Bowie now, because in my mind, I'd rather think of him as this cool guy."

Ironically, Trent would later go on to not only meet Bowie, but get invited on a very successful tour with him, and become friends for life, even getting advice from David to clean up his act. Because Bowie was apparently a really nice guy. Prince... not so much.

I have a relative that became a Jehovah's Witness late in life. He was a guy who was always visiting his relatives and would talk for hours. Not long after his conversion, he first tried to get us to come with him to meetings. When nobody did, he cut all ties with his family, including his twin brother. He avoided contact with anyone who was not a JW. It seems to be what the religion wants it's followers to do. He even quit his job.

From what I'm hearing and seeing, Prince appeared to be torn between his religion and his desire to be a performer.

I know basically nothing about prince. I couldn't even name one of his songs. His style of music just wasn't my thing.

I will say that he seemed like he was larger than life. Whenever I saw him or heard about him, it seemed so mystical and mysterious. Like he wasn't even human. Like a man made character or something. Or an alien.

Rip though. I'm sure he probably influenced a lot of the artists I listen to today.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but by the time Bruce is pointing to the sky at the end......right in the fuckin feels.

I was never that much of a fan of his really, and dug his music in a general sense, mostly from having played plenty of his hits over the years at various functions etc, but one of the great musical experiences of my life so far was because of him.

I was playing at a small jazz club in Melbourne called Bennetts Lane Jazz Club about four or five years ago now, and were finishing up our last set around 10.30 or so before the long time monday night regular came on to finish off.

Now, this was a monday night and while it's a famous club, it's also small and there was only about 20, maybe 30 people in there max.

So after watching some of the regular monday night band after we'd finished (the great Allan Browne, rest his amazing soul) I'm getting a bit tired and start getting ready to leave when the manager comes up and says for us to hang around. I asked her why, but all she said was "just hang out". I'm a little confused but decide to stay and grab a few beers and watch the rest of Allan Browne. A little later, before Al finishes up, this rumour starts going around that Prince is coming down. I'm thinking to myself 'why would Prince come down to a small, Melbourne laneway jazz club on a monday night with a crowd of 20 people? Why would he come to watch now of all times?'. Then people start talking about how he might get up and do a song or two even.

Amazingly, not long after Allan finished, in walk Prince's full band and just start taking over the place. It was incredible. His full band, in a tiny little jazz club, hidden away down at the end of an alley laneway, where you think your more likely to get stabbed than find a hip little jazz joint. Literally within arms distance, that's how small the place is. The amazing thing is that they had locked the doors to everyone once the rumour went out on social media, so anyone who was in was in and anyone who was out, or found out and tried to quickly get down to get in, was out.

After playing for about 45 minutes, suddenly there's this commotion and in walks Prince. Now, obviously some people had let it get known that Prince is supposedly rocking up and there's a ****ing huge mass of people outside by this stage, down the alley, all hoping to get in, while here we are, 20 or so of us just chilling inside there with what was basically a private show just for us few that had been playing there already along with the tiny crowd. Even though they had locked the doors to everyone, supposedly the door was charging something crazy like $400 to get in if you really wanted, on Prince's demand with all money going to charity from what I understood later.

Anyway, long story short, we ended up getting a private, super intimate gig from Prince, at a venue where the tables are literally up against the edge of the little foot high stage, from about 12 to 4 in the morning. Only about 50 people ended up being in there throughout. It was like having his entire band in your living room with a bunch of your mates and that's it.

He was a great funk guitar player, and a very nice, softly spoken guy, and really played what I assume was the stuff he most liked to do at that stage, and just had a ball with it, rather than just his hits and usual stuff. A few of his more famous songs, but he made them very funky and dirty. It was more like a real gritty funk gig and they genuinely seemed to really dig the playing. James Brownish, Prince style.

He talked about loving it because he got to play what he wanted, informally, without having to do the extra 'entertainment' stuff that he'd have to do at his usual stadium gig. Didn't have to dance, leap about, no lights and show, just playing some heavy funk with his band. Much more the stuff I guess they would rather do now just to have fun instead of having to do his usual classics and standard, old hat crowd pleasers for the big gigs. He also talked about loving playing to a small crowd, mostly full of professional musos so they could stretch out and do different things without getting backlash for not doing his classics etc.

Got to have a very brief chat with him afterward, a quick thank you, and then he was gone. Mostly talked to his drummer, John Blackwell. Great guy.

Incredible night that was. One I shall never forget.

Last edited:
Back