Prisoner in Iceland escapes and flew out of country on the same plane as the Prime Minister

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Sindri Thor Stefansson was accused of stealing over 600 computers (ASICS) that are used to mine cryptocurrency and was being held in a minimum security prison while awaiting trial.
Sindri managed to escape by crawling out a window. Someone picked him up and drove him 59 miles to a local airport where he managed to use a fake passport to board a commercial plane to Sweden.
The plane that he boarded was also carrying the Icelandic Prime Minister Katrín Jakobsdóttir who was on a trip to meet with the Indian Prime Minister in Stockholm.
An international warrant for Sindri has been issued but he has yet to be caught.
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...on-flees-iceland-pm-katrin-jakobsdottir-plane

The PM of Iceland doesn't sound too important of a person if hes just hopping on commercial planes with the rest of the plebs.

You can't imprison Thor for he is mighty!

Hilarious. Thread title made me chuckle.

I wonder how long his sentence was exactly. Considering the relatively lax sentencing that we usually see out of European countries and the fact that he was in a minimum security prison, I have to wonder if it would've been easier in the long run to just do his time.

Iceland needs to vet all its passengers, because of this one incident.

That dude is a legend.

The PM of Iceland doesn't sound too important of a person if hes just hopping on commercial planes with the rest of the plebs.

Apparently it's a she, not a he.

Yeah I know, I was surprised too.

1010265.jpg

Hilarious. Thread title made me chuckle.

I wonder how long his sentence was exactly. Considering the relatively lax sentencing that we usually see out of European countries and the fact that he was in a minimum security prison, I have to wonder if it would've been easier in the long run to just do his time.

They still haven't found the ASIC miners that were stolen. If his criminal enterprise set them up somewhere else and starting mining with him, they'd all be very rich by now if they cashed out.

Fun note about Icelandic surnames: They don't have regular family names like most of the rest of the world but rather derive their last name from their father.

The PM's name is Katrín Jakobsdóttir. Or Katrin Jakob's Daughter. Her father's first name was Jakob.

It works the same way for sons, except that they append "son" instead of "dóttir."

I literally just learned this like three days ago so kind of weird this thread about Iceland pops up just a few days later.

Fun note about Icelandic surnames: They don't have regular family names like most of the rest of the world but rather derive their last name from their father.

The PM's name is Katrín Jakobsdóttir. Or Katrin Jakob's Daughter. Her father's first name was Jakob.

It works the same way for sons, except that they append "son" instead of "dóttir."

I literally just learned this like three days ago so kind of weird this thread about Iceland pops up just a few days later.

Wow that is like Medieval badass!

Thorrrrr..

Durrrrrrrr

As long as the criminals are leaving Iceland, and not trying to get there, all should be well.

Not surprised to hear this story, though - possibly the most naive people in the entire world.

Let me guess. You learned it from the CrossFit documentary on Netflix.

Christ, Iceland's prime minister seems to have no credentials whatsoever that would prepare her for office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katrín_Jakobsdóttir
Wrong. I refer you to the last sentence in my post above.

She is cute, well-meaning and lefty in that fluffy 'why can't we all just get along' way, and that is more than enough to make it as a career politician in any Scandinavian country today.

Back