Prisoners Launch National Strike to Protest Poor Prison Conditions

To all the people saying "fuck them, let them work" or "don't do the crime...." or whatever...

Do you think nobody gets paid for the work they do?

Do you think an individual or group of individuals should keep the money for the work they do?

Do you think law abiding citizens should have to subsidize the prisons while individuals pocket that money?

Do you think those individuals should be able to use the money to pay lawmakers to keep inmates and subsidies coming to them?

Obviously the simplest thing for simple minds is "well, shouldn't have been a criminal then", but you could at least have the sense to understand how you are personally affected and try to protect yourself. Not to mention, you could be falsely accused of something and cast down with these sodomites.

It's because punishing people doesn't fix their underlying issues. We have a mental health epidemic in this country, and since all the asylums were closed they just put all of those people in prison now.
Yeah Right, Im sure some of them are but a lot of those people are just shitbags. Dont get me wrong, I understand from family experience (bro is multiple felon) that once you go to jail and get a felony, its almost impossible to get any sort of good job. I counter argue this by saying you shouldnt have commited a serious crime in the first place.

My brother and other friends that have been to jail all say it isnt that bad. Going to prison is something else but once you go away for 3-4 years and adapt to the lifestyle, once your out and have no oppourtunities a lot of them dont mind going back. Add that to the fact that reduced sentences are handed out on almost EVERY case and the threat of jail doesnt seem that significant.

What are you going to fix about a person that just doesnt give a fuck about anyone elses well being?

Let them starve, the tax payers deserve a break

Yeah Right, Im sure some of them are but a lot of those people are just shitbags. Dont get me wrong, I understand from family experience (bro is multiple felon) that once you go to jail and get a felony, its almost impossible to get any sort of good job. I counter argue this by saying you shouldnt have commited a serious crime in the first place.

My brother and other friends that have been to jail all say it isnt that bad. Going to prison is something else but once you go away for 3-4 years and adapt to the lifestyle, once your out and have no oppourtunities a lot of them dont mind going back. Add that to the fact that reduced sentences are handed out on almost EVERY case and the threat of jail doesnt seem that significant.

What are you going to fix about a person that just doesnt give a fuck about anyone elses well being?
More financial opportunities and better mental health care, like I already said. Most crime, not all, but most, is motivated by drug use, mental instability and poverty. All of which are inextricably linked.

The threat of Prison may not be a deterrent to the worst criminals that are in there, but you will never know if it is to those who never do a crime because of it. I know for a fact that it does stop a lot of people from carrying illegal guns because the penalties are so high. Many Spanish gangs are going back to knives and machetes because of the minimum sentences being high, I have seen interviews.

More financial opportunities and better mental health care, like I already said. Most crime, not all, but most, is motivated by drug use, mental instability and poverty. All of which are inextricably linked.
I have had all three at one point and didnt resort to committing crimes. I also had a great example NOT to follow though. I will say I am firm believer in people using excuses to be mentally weak when all it takes is some discipline. Thats a discussion for another time though.

There is opportunities to make $$ in jail but they are far between, I agree. More $$ for the inmates may equal less gang favors but I kinda doubt it. The health care system in CA (not sure about elsewhere) is actually pretty good and they isolate you from gen population. They will get people clean etc...the problem is once they go back to gen pop they just go back to the lifestyle before. Jails are even easier to get drugs then on the street.

I have had all three at one point and didnt resort to committing crimes. I also had a great example NOT to follow though. I will say I am firm believer in people using excuses to be mentally weak when all it takes is some discipline. Thats a discussion for another time though.

There is opportunities to make $$ in jail but they are far between, I agree. More $$ for the inmates may equal less gang favors but I kinda doubt it. The health care system in CA (not sure about elsewhere) is actually pretty good and they isolate you from gen population. They will get people clean etc...the problem is once they go back to gen pop they just go back to the lifestyle before. Jails are even easier to get drugs then on the street.
Same here but we're not everyone, are we? Fact is the more negatives you expose someone to, the more likely they are to have a negative outcome. That's not making excuses for bad behavior, it's just statistics. The more we can do to remove factors that lead someone to crime, the better their odds are.

We've tried this route of make everything as hard as possible for low income, high risk people and theyll just have to figure it out on their own. And it isn't working. Most people simply aren't able to overcome extreme adversity without any help. It works great for exceptional people, or people with a strong community. But those aren't resources the majority have.

What you've described with immoral people that only care for themselves, when you remove mental illness and extreme poverty and adversity from the equation, you CAN eliminate most people like that. People don't end up that way for no reason.

They’re in prison. What did they think it was gonna be like?

Here’s an idea......don’t do things that will land you in prison.

The current prison system only creates more violent criminals... Its a dog eat dog world in there

It is supposed to rehabilitate ..not punish

"Well fuck em they shouldn't be there"
Ah yes what a hot take that is...most prisoners will be released some day...you would think the population would want them to come back out ready to be better citizens...but nope...punish them to hell...

They should all be self sustaining work farms like Angola, and better control and more punishment for corruption.

The fact that drugs are everywhere in prison is fucking mind boggling.

The current prison system only creates more violent criminals... Its a dog eat dog world in there

It is supposed to rehabilitate ..not punish

"Well fuck em they shouldn't be there"
Ah yes what a hot take that is...most prisoners will be released some day...you would think the population would want them to come back out ready to be better citizens...but nope...punish them to hell...

Rehabilitation, sure. Getting paid, fuck no. And you’re not supposed to be punished for burglary or murder? K.

DC1F605B-730A-4C58-81E1-80E180CFB188.jpeg

Last edited:
Rehabilitation, sure. Getting paid, fuck no.

View attachment 424685
Surely they should make some wage if they are actively doing something for the community (picking trash on highway, creating license plates etc etc) and if they are model inmates

Just gives more incentive and motivation to do right..and some will learn proper trades for when they get out

Surely they should make some wage if they are actively doing something for the community (picking trash on highway, creating license plates etc etc) and if they are model inmates

Just gives more incentive and motivation to do right..and some will learn proper trades for when they get out

Nope. Do the crime, it should be part of the punishment. Otherwise I should sue my parents.

<Kpop775>

Nope. Do the crime, it should be part of the punishment. Otherwise I should sue my parents.

<Kpop775>
Punishment..prisons not supposed to be a punishment

So if we dont allow ideal inmates to land prison jobs to supplement their income..how do we expect them to leave prison and land on their feet? To not violate and return?

Only in america is this such an issue

I wont even touch on the private prison for pay system

Medical care, job training, daycare, education, mental health care, none of these things are designed to be accessible for people struggling. Stop being so poor and make more money so you can pay for goods and services that have seen massive inflation in a very short period of time. That's the attitude people seem to have. I really question how old you are, or how wealthy you grew up, if you think any of those things are accessible to the poor. They haven't been for decades now.

Going back to my earlier quote:
The issue is the individual not wanting help or wanting to change.

Not sure where you are getting the, "...none of these things are designed to be accessible for people struggling...if you think any of those things are accessible to the poor. They haven't been for decades now." Not sure where in the U.S. you are located. I know you've had issues. Again, the infrastructure for mental health help in this country is excellent compared to other countries. I've worked with people that have experienced this first hand. I also know people that rather blame the 'system' than blame themselves for their problems. Yeah, that excuse gets old fast...

3 in 10 may make it through rehab, and that is after going through rehab at least 5 times. Many people don't want to change or have the discipline to change, but the help is out there. It seems easier to remain a fuck up for life. How many in Third World countries would love to have the help the U.S. provides.

Its dumb to have so many people in jail for drug possession and or essentially being addicts. Fucking clogging up the system and wasting tax payer money. Let them bang.

Well it's not all of them for sure, but a considerable amounts. Some estimates are as high as forty to fifty percent of inmates have mental illnesses.

Then you account for people in poverty with no job skills, people in for drug charges etc, and MOST of the people in prison could probably he rehabilitated if we chose that route.

But we're stuck on this Victorian era punishment model, even though we have mountains of evidence that it doesn't work most of the time. If we had real mental healthcare, job training, better and cheaper education and drug rehab etc, we could probably eliminate the majority of crime.

We'd mainly be left with repeat violent offenders that can't be rehabilitated, that we could then execute or keep in prison for life.

I’ve read estimates that go into the 90% range depending on the area.

Back