Pro Wrestling History Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a TV that I could fine tune and I could almost get the line to move over just enough to make out what was going on. Very static-y and would change every hour or so. I remember watching SummerSlam 88 that way and I remember the line came back just as Liz took off her dress... I was scrambling to tune that damn line out because Monsoon and Billy Graham made it sound like she was naked!

They went straight to the finish and I missed it all! Had to wait 6 months for the tape to come out and to the rental store!

LOL. My favorite PPV used to be Survivor Series when it was on Thanksgiving and they had the classic matches. My brother and I would be at my Dad's for the morning and lunch and then go to my Mom's for dinner/evening. Her family was usually at my uncles and he had a satellite. He was too cheap to buy it but the whole family was wrestling fans. There was a preview button on the receiver where you could view a program for 5 minutes without buying it and he figured out you could keep hitting it every 5 minutes and watch a whole ppv with only like a 1 or 2 second interruption while repushing the button. As the youngest fan in the room, I was nominated to sit in the front row on button pushing duty for the night. I could have cared less though. It was still real then, and I was all about seeing it.

Was I the only one who's parents wouldn't buy him the wrestling PPV's, so I'd sit by my TV, put on the PPV channel (this was before cable boxes, young'uns) and listen the PPV as it happened with my screen covered in static?

No you were not. I miss Clash of the Champions, they were the biggest things going when I was a kid because I never missed them.

I had a black box, but from around 87-92 I had to be really picky about PPVs. Summerslam was always a given because of my birthday(88, 92, and 94 were all on my birthday), and Wrestlemania was always a purchase, but I had to really fight to see any other PPV and be choosy between the WWF and NWA/WCW. In 1992 I actually saved my birthday money so I could see Survivor Series.

I HATED having to choose between the Royal Rumble and Starrcade. That was never fun. Almost as bad as when another kid in your class saw the PPV and you didn't and he talked up how awesome it was.

And for the record, Bobby Heenan is not the greatest manager of all time. That's selling him short, he's the greatest entertainer ever in wrestling. He could bump in the ring and work a match, he was the best manager ever period, and he was a great color commentator. No one else can lay claim to doing all those things well, let alone as well as Bobby did.

There was never a choice for me between Starrcade and The Rumble. The Rumble is,was, and probably always will be my favorite ppv of the year. It was the only WWF thing in my earlier years that I preferred over the NWA/WCW stuff from back then.

There was never a choice for me between Starrcade and The Rumble. The Rumble is,was, and probably always will be my favorite ppv of the year. It was the only WWF thing in my earlier years that I preferred over the NWA/WCW stuff from back then.

I've been to a Wrestlemania but, my favorite PPV is also the Rumble.

I've been to both, but the Rumble was much more fun.

LOL. My favorite PPV used to be Survivor Series when it was on Thanksgiving and they had the classic matches. My brother and I would be at my Dad's for the morning and lunch and then go to my Mom's for dinner/evening. Her family was usually at my uncles and he had a satellite. He was too cheap to buy it but the whole family was wrestling fans. There was a preview button on the receiver where you could view a program for 5 minutes without buying it and he figured out you could keep hitting it every 5 minutes and watch a whole ppv with only like a 1 or 2 second interruption while repushing the button. As the youngest fan in the room, I was nominated to sit in the front row on button pushing duty for the night. I could have cared less though. It was still real then, and I was all about seeing it.

I love this story.

The only WWE PPV I have ever gotten tickets to was for this:

I did see this though too:

I think I was deaf for a day or two after Goldberg showed up.

The only WWE PPV I have ever gotten tickets to was for this:

I did see this though too:

I think I was deaf for a day or two after Goldberg showed up.

I was on the left floor next to the entrance for Raw the night after WM 19, my ears were ringing for a couple days after that. I was behind home plate 3 rows off the field for WM 19, I thought Brock was dead when he landed on his head!

I was on the left floor next to the entrance for Raw the night after WM 19, my ears were ringing for a couple days after that. I was behind home plate 3 rows off the field for WM 19, I thought Brock was dead when he landed on his head!

I think everyone thought he was dead.

I was lucky with the PPV's growing up. I think from about 5th grade to my senior year, my buddies dad was a wrestling fan and would order all the WWF PPV's. There was a group of 8 of us that would go over and watch them at his house. We had to bring our own food and drinks. I would always bring a 2 liter of Fanta Orange Soda and a bag of Doritos. Everytime I eat a Dorito I think of wrestling.
The first PPV I saw was Wrestlemania 1. I remember all of us were so pissed that the US Express lost to the Iron Sheik and Nikolia Volkoff(sp?). The Cold War made wrestling fun.
What was up with all the tag teams in the 80's-early 90's that had express in their name?

493516.jpg

Steiners> Road Warriors IMO. But the most impressive tag team to me was Williams and Gordy. Short lived duo, but a great pedigree between the two. Tag team wrestling used to be a big deal. I still think the Midnight Express vs Midnight Express feud was one of the greatest feuds in PW tag team history. Both teams also had two of the better managers in Paul E and Cornett too.

I put some info in the PW thread about the GWF, did anyone else here used to watch that on ESPN circa the early 90s???

Last edited:
another cool Andre story. This one involves Blackjack Mulligan, one of the toughest sob's ever in wrestling. It is NOT the story of when Andre dragged him and Murdoch into the ocean.

I started puking right when that happened... then again I had been drinking like a fishy the entire night. :icon_lol:

I remember being stunned seeing this but The Rock vs Steve Austin and the Jericho vs HBK matches were my two favorites on that card.

The problem with the MX vs. OMX feud was that they never had the real match between the two teams, in similar fashion to the Road Warriors vs. Demos feud we talked about. Dennis Condrey just flaked out on the feud and left and they replaced him with Jack Victory teaming with Randy Rose and it stunk.

And I used to watch the GWF on ESPN every day after school. Its where I became a huge mark for The Patriot. Pissed off we never got the big Patriot vs. Dark Patriot blowoff match.

I posted earlier about the use of the word Express for tag teams in the 80's -90's.
I remember:
US Express
Midnight Express
Rock n Roll Express
Orient Express(the least sucessful of the express tag teams)
Is that all of them or did I forget a few?

The problem with the MX vs. OMX feud was that they never had the real match between the two teams, in similar fashion to the Road Warriors vs. Demos feud we talked about. Dennis Condrey just flaked out on the feud and left and they replaced him with Jack Victory teaming with Randy Rose and it stunk.

And I used to watch the GWF on ESPN every day after school. Its where I became a huge mark for The Patriot. Pissed off we never got the big Patriot vs. Dark Patriot blowoff match.

What about this one? It's the only one I remember.... One of my favorite matches with a babyface manager. Jim Cornette, love him or hate him (and there really is no in between with him), he knew how to work any style.

I had quit watching pro wrestling while I was in college, so from 1987 to 1998 I didn't see much wrestling at all. 1990-1993 were real blackouts for PW for me. (Undergrad and grad, with 2 years off in between, for those wondering).

I caught some of the Nitro shows when they started, because I am an NWA mark, and WCW was a re-branding of the NWA.

I was an early internet adopter, so I kept up online without watching. I loved the Solie's Tribute site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back