Pro-wrestling shoots? Works turned shoot, shoots in a worked federation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always, and will always, call BS on that. That's Invader #3, not Jose Gonzales who was Invader #1 WHO KILLED BRODY. Can't believe people who watch and understand wrestling still not see that was fake just meant to build up to a bigger match.

Take a look at how Manny lands his knees. His other knee and leg touches the mat first before his right knee lands on Invader #3. If he really wanted to cause him pain, he would've landed full force on Invader instead of hitting the mat first with his other knee.

Another thing to note, why would Invader #3 lay there on his back so Manny could get up on the ropes and drop two more consecutive knees?

Besides that, and more importantly, Manny Fernandez continued to work for WWC after this incident and Manny and Invader #3 also worked matches again later that year, specifically the big Anniversary Show in October of 1989 less than 6 months later. I hope I have that month and year correct as my wrestling memory isn't as sharp as what it once was.

This was a work to build up an angle, nothing more and nothing less.

This, if Manny was legit pissed he would've told colon and the rest of the WWC to fuck off, but he didn't

X-Pac said in a shoot that Michael Hayes on the 'Flight from Hell' took out his dick near Linda McMahon and attempted to take a piss. No way he would still be employed if that was true, right?

X-Pac said in a shoot that Michael Hayes on the 'Flight from Hell' took out his dick near Linda McMahon and attempted to take a piss. No way he would still be employed if that was true, right?

I agree with you

I have always, and will always, call BS on that. That's Invader #3, not Jose Gonzales who was Invader #1 WHO KILLED BRODY. Can't believe people who watch and understand wrestling still not see that was fake just meant to build up to a bigger match.

Take a look at how Manny lands his knees. His other knee and leg touches the mat first before his right knee lands on Invader #3. If he really wanted to cause him pain, he would've landed full force on Invader instead of hitting the mat first with his other knee.

Another thing to note, why would Invader #3 lay there on his back so Manny could get up on the ropes and drop two more consecutive knees?

Besides that, and more importantly, Manny Fernandez continued to work for WWC after this incident and Manny and Invader #3 also worked matches again later that year, specifically the big Anniversary Show in October of 1989 less than 6 months later. I hope I have that month and year correct as my wrestling memory isn't as sharp as what it once was.

This was a work to build up an angle, nothing more and nothing less.

Its definitely a work
You can easily tell from the video
He drunk blood before the match to throw it back up which is gross as shit though

I thought Hayes was sleeping until Waltman and someone else cut his mullet off?

Waltman said he did it and all the boys started cheering. He then nailed it to a wall at the next house show so everyone could see it. Waltman was stoned as shit in that YouShoot, so who knows.

Does any one know anything about Dory Funk Sr? I have heard he was a either a shooter or a hooker.

You know, i don't know whole lot about Dory Sr, but i do know he was a legit wrestler. Now as to the extent of his grappling abilities in comparison to legendary shooters/hookers like Verne Gagne or Lou Thesz, i can't say...

You know, i don't know whole lot about Dory Sr, but i do know he was a legit wrestler. Now as to the extent of his grappling abilities in comparison to legendary shooters/hookers like Verne Gagne or Lou Thesz, i can't say...

I'm with Danny here. I've read alot about all the old shooters and hookers but don't know much about Dory Sr. except for the fact that he supposedly could hold his own.

Well, by now with legends being how they are, it is hard to tell how legit a lot of the old-timers really were.

For shooters, I look for any kind of amateur stats. For hookers, it is very hard to tell. Same with tough guys like Haku, Harley and Johnny Valentine, you just kinda have to go with the stories from eye witnesses.

I imagine Dory Sr was a salty shooter who could handle himself. He may have known a hook or two, but not enough to be considered a hooker. Proof? I have none. He seemed to be very regional, and he ran the Amarillo territory which ranged over much of west Texas and eastern New Mexico.

I have one that I just found out about. A co worker of mine named Craig (who is in his mid fifties) got into a real fight with Wahoo McDaniels around the mid late seventies. Wahoo was wrestling in the Norfolk area (where I live) and Craig was there with a bunch of friends to watch him wrestle. As the story goes, Wahoo came out and they began to heckle him from the front row seats. One of the guys in the group grabbed Wahoo's headress and pulled out a feather. An enraged Wahoo turned around and asked who did it. Craig got blamed (even though he says he didnt do it to this day) and Wahoo pulled him over the rail and stomped the s**t out of him legit. Wahoo got arrested (as did Craig) and they both got sent to jail for the night. Wahoo supposedly was not allowed to wrestle in the Norfolk area for a while becuase of this, and Craig actually sued Wahoo for the attack. I have had three people verify this story. Can anyone here with a better knowledge then me of Wahoo verify this too?

Last edited:
I have one that I just found out about. A co worker of mine named Craig (who is in his mid fifties) got into a real fight with Wahoo McDaniels around the mid late seventies. Wahoo was wrestling in the Norfolk area (where I live) and my Craig was there with a bunch of friends to watch him wrestle. As the story goes, Wahoo came out and they began to heckle him from the front row seats. One of the guys in the group grabbed Wahoo's headress and pulled out a feather. An enraged Wahoo turned around and asked who did it. Craig got blamed (even though he says he didnt do it to this day) and Wahoo pulled him over the rail and stomped the s**t out of him legit. Wahoo got arrested (as did Craig) and they both got sent to jail for the night. Wahoo supposedly was not allowed to wrestle in the Norfolk area for a while becuase of this, and Craig actually sued Wahoo for the attack. I have had three people verify this story. Can anyone here with a better knowledge then me of Wahoo verify this too?

Crazy. Just curious, do you know which venue in Norfolk it was at?

Danny I would have to ask Craig, but I think he said it was the Norfolk Arena. The story also was that Wahoo was not allowed to wrestle in Va. anymore after this incident. It may have been early 80s. Im trying to find any info but I cant seem to find it.

Last edited:
Danny I would have to ask Craig, but I think he said it was the Norfolk Arena. The story also was that Wahoo was not allowed to wrestle in Va. anymore after this incident. It may have been early 80s. Im trying to find any info but I cant seem to find it.

Documented/verified or not, i can believe it. Obviously back then wasn't like what it is today when things like that happen, it was mostly word of mouth and so some stories got out there and became well known, some became legendary and then some just got forgotten and/or were never well known/documented to begin with. This Wahoo story, if true, obviously falls under the category of the latter. Who knows how many stories like this involving wrestlers are out there that few know about or remember...

I've always liked the story of Kurt Angle being slightly worried during Tazz's debut.

As we all know, Kurt was Tazz's opponent for his debut in the garden. Kurt was looking pensive and he walks over to Mick Foley and says 'Mick, I need to talk to you.' So Mick and Kurt walk somewhere in the arena, and Kurt says 'Mick, what should I do if Tazz tries to test me?' and Mick says 'What do you mean?' and he says 'When we're out there, what happens if he tries to test me?'

Mick then says 'Kurt you're kind of an Olympic Gold Medallist.

When Tazz was told about it, he said 'Are you kidding me? He'd kick my ass!'

I've always liked the story of Kurt Angle being slightly worried during Tazz's debut.

As we all know, Kurt was Tazz's opponent for his debut in the garden. Kurt was looking pensive and he walks over to Mick Foley and says 'Mick, I need to talk to you.' So Mick and Kurt walk somewhere in the arena, and Kurt says 'Mick, what should I do if Tazz tries to test me?' and Mick says 'What do you mean?' and he says 'When we're out there, what happens if he tries to test me?'

I don't remember hearing that before, it's hilarious though. :icon_lol:

Paul Heyman once gave an interview saying his proudest accomplishment was making the world believe that Taz was one of the toughest legit fighters in the world.

As far as Wahoo goes, while I have no idea if that in particular is true, the story is very likely true. He was involved in dozens and dozens of incidents with fans.

This is a true story. It wasn't that Kurt was necessarily afraid of Taz but more worried about how to react if Taz because he didn't know what the proper "etiquette" and didn't want to get fired for doing something wrong. Obviously Mick found it hilarious but Mick mentioned sometime after Angle had left the E that it wasn't until a few days later did he figure it out that Angle just wanted to know if it was ok for Angle to "give it back" to Taz.

Like Flow mentioned, the story of Wahoo is probably true. Wrestlers did crazy shit back in the day and it happened quite regularly

Wahoo didn't put up with shit from anyone. He kinda let that be known in his matches and interviews as well. He was not above slapping a loudmouth fan, or pistol-whipping some redneck at the bar.

The story about Angle and Taz, and many others, is on YouTube. There is a 6 part panel discussion with JR, Taz, Michael Hayes, Foley, and Pat Patterson. The show was called "Legends of Wrestling," and this 6-parted was about Badasses in Wrestling.

Here is a sample:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back