Process of New>Amateur>Pro

68ChevyMalibu

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What’s the overall process of being new, fighting amateur, and then getting into pro fights?

I’m 24 and i will be putting in a lot of work. Not trying to get ahead of myself but I’m just curious.

far from an expert here but I would have thought stage 1 would be to train at a gym that already has a few pro fighters. By pros I don't mean world champions but people that fight in pro contests. Then the coaches etc will be able to guide you

What’s the overall process of being new, fighting amateur, and then getting into pro fights?

I’m 24 and i will be putting in a lot of work. Not trying to get ahead of myself but I’m just curious.

join a gym learn the fundamentals (generally takes longer than people realise), improve your skills, get some sparring and move on to Ami fights. If you have the support from your trainer (he thinks you are good enough) turn pro

I'd say that that is pretty much it. Id forget about making a career out of boxing until you have started fighting. A lot of people aren't suited to the hard work, dedication and getting punched hard regularly. you need to enjoy the sport first and get to a decent standard before putting that pressure on yourself. See where you are in a couple of years. you'll still have loads to learn but should be at a fairly good standard by then.

join a gym learn the fundamentals (generally takes longer than people realise), improve your skills, get some sparring and move on to Ami fights. If you have the support from your trainer (he thinks you are good enough) turn pro

I'd say that that is pretty much it. Id forget about making a career out of boxing until you have started fighting. A lot of people aren't suited to the hard work, dedication and getting punched hard regularly. you need to enjoy the sport first and get to a decent standard before putting that pressure on yourself. See where you are in a couple of years. you'll still have loads to learn but should be at a fairly good standard by then.

Quality information. Is it unheard of for someone to go pro in 2 years but not make it a full time career? I already have a well paying job in the business world not really looking to fight to support myself financially. But having said that, I’m willing to put in hours a day.

Is it better to start off with boxing classes and then move to private lessons? We have an old school western boxing gym that has turned out some pro champs. Not really anything like fitness boxing gyms. Looks exactly what I’m looking for. Anything particular i need to ask the trainers/coaches?

Much appreciated.

Quality information. Is it unheard of for someone to go pro in 2 years but not make it a full time career? I already have a well paying job in the business world not really looking to fight to support myself financially. But having said that, I’m willing to put in hours a day.

Is it better to start off with boxing classes and then move to private lessons? We have an old school western boxing gym that has turned out some pro champs. Not really anything like fitness boxing gyms. Looks exactly what I’m looking for. Anything particular i need to ask the trainers/coaches?

Much appreciated.

I’d get to a gym dude rather than private lessons. Maybe go that route once you’ve found you’re style and feel comfortable with the footwork and basics skills. The reason I say that is you learn different things from different coaches. Even shit ones. The worst kickboxing coach I ever trained with taught me how to throw the most powerful spinning back kick. Learnt fck all else from him.
On top of that you need different guys to spar with. Once again you’ll learn very different things as everyone will fight differently. Don’t expect to be great straight away. Its a lot tougher than it looks, and to start with you’ll feel really out of you comfort zone for quite a while. With lots of practice and shadow boxing in the mirror, it will click in to place

Good luck with whatever you decide fella

One further point, it’s worth considering whether meeting clients etc is going to be an issue if you’re bruised up. I had to give up boxing for a few years because I was regularly visiting my clients at work and having black eyes or bruising around the head caused me some difficulties due to stereotyping. I do bruise really easily, especially around the eyes, so you may not have this issue with work

The process is only what YOU make it.

If you wanted to fight next week and passed a physical, paid a license fee.. im sure someone would give your first pro fight

Back